The first article, written by Terry Carter, grabs your attention with the headline “9th Circuit tosses part of lawsuit against CNN demanding closed-captioning on its web videos.” Word choice of “tosses” im...
... middle of paper ...
...ic inaction occurs by the company’s silence. This case will set the precedent for future issues regarding “virtual spaces” and whether or not they are included in equal access to “places of public accommodation” (Egelko, 2014).
Both articles emphasized different aspects regarding CNN issue. The first article reported the facts from a legal standpoint and did not hold CNN accountable for their decision. The second article emphasized the lack of media content CNN is choosing to withhold from the deaf community. Although the court’s decisions to negate the discrimination claim a positive outcome for CNN, the issue remains on what CNN’s plans are to remedy the issue. With the case still under consideration, CNN should be thinking of possible solutions. Internet users are in abundance. The timing of this win is coincidental with reports of CNN’s low ratings.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- CNN is a cable news network owned by Time Warner. The world headquarters is located in Atlanta, GA. A class action lawsuit was filed in 2011 against CNN by the Greater Los Angeles Agency on Deafness (GLAD). Because CNN opted not to include closed-captioning for their short video clips, GLAD claimed that CNN was violating California’s Civil Rights and the Disabled Persons Act (DPA). In 2012 a magistrate judge ruled against CNN’s appeal to dismiss the case. CNN argued that the lawsuit be dropped due to California’s anti-SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) statute.... [tags: law suit, closed captioning, ]
524 words (1.5 pages)
- A hero is thought of being superhuman, however a hero is determined by the actions of the person. The common concept of a hero is often stated as a person with abilities that exceed what humans are capable of. Although this is true, a hero can simply be a person who dedicates their life in order to help improve a domestic or foreign community. Portrayals of heroes throughout history include Thor, Beowulf, and CNN heroes. A hero is thought of being superhuman. However, a hero should rather be determined by the actions of a person.... [tags: Hero, Beowulf, CNN, American films]
1541 words (4.4 pages)
- The next act in the MASN Lawsuit started a few weeks ago after MASN filed an appeal of the original decision from Justice Marks. As a refresher, the underlying dispute concerns the amount of telecast right fees payable to the Nationals. In 2014, MLBs Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee (RSDC) ruled that MASN would need to pay the Nationals $300 million in rights fees from 2012-2016. The RSDC is an MLB committee comprised of three MLB club owners, each of whom is appointed and at the sole discretion of the Commissioner of Baseball.... [tags: Appeal, Law, Washington Nationals, Money]
1413 words (4 pages)
- In the article “Can a Video Game Lead to Murder?,” Ed Bradley reports on an incident in Fayette, Alabama involving the shooting of three police officers by a teenager and a multi-million dollar lawsuit against both the makers and sellers of the Grand Theft Auto video game. In his report Bradley uses inflammatory words, skewed facts, and quotes of prominent public figures to try and agitate uninformed parents and make them more conscious of games and the effects they may have on their children. Bradley starts off his report with asking the reader to imagine a game that would let them “decapitate police officers, kill them with a sniper rifle, massacre them with a chainsaw, and set them on fi... [tags: Article Review]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- The CNN Effect has been described in many positive and negative ways. Former UN Security General Boutros-Ghali described CNN as “the sixteenth member of the Security Council (Gilboa, 2005).” While Colin Powell saw the network’s effect as being that “live television coverage doesn’t change the policy, but it does create the environment in which policy is made (Gilboa, 2005).” These two statements show that the CNN Effect has an impact both domestically and internationally as a major part of the world’s political process.... [tags: Media, Network, Television]
2897 words (8.3 pages)
- Album Reviews There is a time to be concise and a juncture to be descriptive. Technology allows downloads to be purchased track by track or the whole album if the user wishes. Music is a physical reaction and in turn whatever one experiences in their gut can be felt by a listener who the composer never meets. When you listen to new music with previously unheard titled tracks from your preferred artist you naturally want to hope for the best. Regrettably, even your favorite bands can sell out posing for cameras that will launch them onto a magazine cover instead of covering the content which previously propelled the ensemble to the top of the charts.... [tags: Music Review]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- The CNN Documentary “Homicide in Hollenbeck” described several criminal issues that have affected the Hollenbeck community. The documentary focused on the life of a gang member and recruitment of juveniles within the community. Criminological issues discussed in the documentary includes gang and gun violence, drug sales, homicide and vandalism. Interviews were conducted of personal experiences and opinions on neighborhood issues with members of a notorious gang known as White-Fence gang, police officers and family members who lost their loved ones in the hands of gang violence.... [tags: Criminology, Crime, Gang, Sociology]
707 words (2 pages)
- Great post. I definitely agree that the Soft&Tough manufacturer should market their new male skin care product to white collar men because these professionals are very image conscious and they want to present a youthful appearance to be competitive in their career (Anonymous, 2007). Also, professional men tend to spend more money on personal grooming products than blue-collar men (Anonymous, 2007). You make a great point that baby boomer men would be very attracted to the Soft&Tough skin care line because of the allure of products anti-aging and skin protecting components.... [tags: Marketing Reviews]
546 words (1.6 pages)
- The issues that accompany the differences of not-profit and profit media outlets have developed exponentially in the last decade, in which profit media has become more concentrated and there has been an increasing need for not-profit media outlets, such as Al Jazeera. The Cable News Network (CNN) is a profit media giant based out of the United States and has been a leader in domestic and international news since it’s creation in 19801. Al Jazeera is a not-profit media outlet that has provided an unbiased opinion and has been recognized on an international level in the recent years following their reports on Osama Bin Laden in 20012.... [tags: Direct Coverage, Media Bias]
1751 words (5 pages)
- Most patients who enter the hospital for care have some form of intravenous therapy during their stay, whether it is in the emergency room or on inpatient floors. IV catheters are vital and are the fastest way to administer life saving medications. At times inserting or replacing a peripheral IV catheter can be challenging especially when the patient has poor circulation or poor venous access. In healthcare today Peripheral IV insertion lawsuits are on the rise due to its invasive character and unanticipated outcomes.... [tags: Medicine Healthcare Nursing]
940 words (2.7 pages)