When we initially arrived at Head Start, we greeted the children and their teachers, who had already gathered them in a group for our lesson and introduced ourselves. We began our lesson by first asking what the children what they believed “personal hygiene” was, and after all the children who had wanted to answer, we explained that personal hygiene involves maintaining healthy habits to one’s self clean and free of germs. This lead to us prompting the children to give some examples of what they believed to be examples of “healthy habits.” I feel that this question was one they were all very excited to answer, as they all jumped in anticipation whenever it was their turn to answer w...
... middle of paper ...
...sh their hands very well after our lesson, as they were about to have lunch. I hope to continue to promote the personal health of all whom I may meet in the future, and also increase my participation in my local community. It was a wonderful experience to interact with fellow community members, and felt rewarding to be able to share beneficial knowledge in health with the children at Head Start.
In the future, I feel I will be more prepared and aware as to how to best educate people on important health topics based in their demographic, level of education, and access to community resources. I also hope to increase my own personal community engagement through volunteer and community service in order to help my local community, while also spreading awareness via social media on public health initiatives I am supporting my community, to have a greater global impact.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In 2010, “over 20 billion hours of volunteer service were reported” in the United States (Hoffman 418). For such an outstanding amount of time, only 26.7% of the population reported volunteer hours (Hoffman 418-9). Philanthropy, a desire to improve the material, social, and spiritual welfare of humanity, especially through charitable activities, is dependent on the altruistic values of the American society. Philanthropy is a general love for all of humanity that manifests itself in the form of community service.... [tags: Service-Learning Essays]
2056 words (5.9 pages)
- School, when some people hear the word, they usually think that school is learning new things in a room. However, it is something that cannot be described only in the textbook. Service learning is “an union of community service and formal learning. It involves students going out into their communities and using that which they learn in class to help people, and then bringing that which they learn in their community service back into the classroom to enhance their learning.”(Minor, 2001) Diane Murakami who is an ELL (English Language Learners) teacher at Queen Ka’ahumanu Elementary School in Honolulu.... [tags: ESL Students]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- ... One of my main Community Services, and by far my favorite, was the Immaculate Conception School Saturday morning hoops program. This event took place for about sixty hours at the Immaculate Conception Gym from November to March. The goal of this program was to provide children with a safe environment to learn the game of basketball and to compete against other catholic school teams in the surrounding areas. My job as the head coach of the third and fourth grade boy’s team was to help them with their skill sets, teach them plays, help them work together as a team, and to serve as a good role-model for them.... [tags: teamwork, peers, students]
701 words (2 pages)
- I volunteered at the Activity Center for my Service Learning project. My duties were to watch the kids who participated in the after school program, play with them and help them with their home homework. I really enjoyed interacting with the African-American people and culture. I learned many things from the African-American population I worked with. I learned how the Activity Center staff teaches the after school kids good manners and behavior. I mentioned in one of my service learning journals that the staff was very strict and treated the kids like prisoners, but I came to the realization that maybe that is how they teach the kids discipline.... [tags: Service Learning Project]
1545 words (4.4 pages)
- “An impeccable product is an amalgamation of technology and prudent management”. If this statement holds any quantity of water then modern engineering projects require effective management of human resource and technology to successfully develop a product. Perhaps, Engineering Management has more scope for cost and time reduction at micro level than meets the eye. Moreover, efficient management of resources is imperative as today projects have interdependencies and they even cut across geographical barriers, traditional systems and cultural diversities.... [tags: Management, Project management]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- Being and older student with an established career, I was a little unsure on where to conduct my service learning project. In the class syllabus, it states that the purpose of the service learning project is: “To connect course materials to policies and practices implemented through agencies to serve victims and survivors of interpersonal and power based violence. It is designed to encourage critical evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of current approaches to serving victims of violence” (Criminal Justice 403.... [tags: Domestic violence, Police, Violence, Child abuse]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- I opted to do the service learning project as opposed to the movie review or term paper because prior to this class, I had already devoted over 200 hours to the Southcliff Baptist Children’s Ministry. The beginnings of Southcliff go back to 1901 or 1902, Mrs. A.J. (Kate) Parks began the Seventh Ward Mission alongside Broadway Baptist Church. In October 1904, the Kentucky Avenue Baptist Church was formed out of the Seventh Ward Mission and met at an unused building. The church had about thirty members, and John R.... [tags: Christian terms, Christianity, 1988, 1902]
716 words (2 pages)
- Service Learning For my service learning project I dedicated one hour to selling tickets for the benefited pulled pork dinner with our Cowley Activity Awareness Team (CAAT), and did the rest of my hours by serving at the lunch/dinner. The pulled pork dinner was hosted by ACES, another club at Cowley, and it all the money that was raised went towards a food packaging event in November. My duties in this were to fill up cups with water/tea, serve food, and send out prepared meals to cars. I chose to do this as my service learning project because I wanted to be face to face with the people that were helping us make a difference, and to gain experience with serving.... [tags: selling tickets for the benefit pulled pork dinner]
566 words (1.6 pages)
- The thought of community service was a bore to me before I began my volunteer work. I dreaded starting my community service although I knew I had to do it. Where I earned my hours did not even matter to me. I just wanted to get it over with. To my surprise it was not what I expected. Community service was not a painful experience; it was a very enjoyable and beneficial experience. I performed my community service with Habitat for Humanity. The non‐profit organization chooses the applicant that purchases the house and Habitat only charges them the cost of the materials.... [tags: Volunteer Work, Service Learning]
517 words (1.5 pages)
- When a woman approached Benjamin Franklin following the concluding session of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in the fall of 1787 and asked what sort of government the delegates had come up with, Franklin famously replied: "A republic, madam, if you can keep it." The relevance of that notable statement transcended centuries and applied itself not only to national politics. The People’s participation in maintaining an agreeable government depends on a collective activism regarding both state and local civic affairs.... [tags: Service Learning Teaching Education]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Action For Children : An Important Resource For Families
- Reasons For Union County College As The Great Part Of This College
- Body Cameras Are An Important Aspect Of Policing Today
- Lab Report On My Notebook
- Hitler 's First Attempt For The Death Of The Weimar Republic
- Childhood And Child Rearing Issues