I had the pleasure of taking a substance abuse class, the topics discussed were alcohol and various drug usage. This class was very eye opening and it made relevant how one could become easily addicted to these substances. Thinking of past experiences with family and friends, who used drugs and alcohol I learned who was susceptible to becoming addicted and why. Medically speaking, there is a genetic component in place that contributes to an individual who is an alcoholic. Unfortunately, with drug usage such as cocaine, and heroin individuals are trying to recapture the first pleasurable experience they encountered upon starting the drug. Taking this class, not only made me aware of how many people become addicted to drugs and alcohol, but it sheds light on the fact that, more often than not one addiction is sometimes traded for another. For example, if an alcoholic, gives up drinking it is not uncommon for him/her to smoke, which is clearly another bad habit that is addictive. In this paper I will discuss what I gave up for the week, along with the effects it had on me. Also, I will express what I learned about my relationship with this product and what I learned as a result of this experience.
As a class project, we were able to experience what it feels like to give up and addiction. My choice of behavior to relinquish was wearing makeup. I started wearing makeup daily 3 years ago and I must admit that I encompassed the whole element rather quickly. My routine consists of cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing, priming and putting on my layer of second skin the makeup. This process can take from 10 to 45 minutes daily it just depends on the look that I am trying to obtain. How ...
... middle of paper ...
...within, and women often wear makeup to fit into the bubble of what society deems acceptable. She stressed the importance of not using makeup as a requirement to make yourself feel beautiful.
This class placed an emphasis on what to look for in individuals, who experience a lifestyle of substance abuse. It was very informative to find out that alcohol/drug use is a disease that affects brain receptors and once too much of this stimulant, or depressant has been used it takes a while for normal brain functions to occur. In some cases, individuals cannot regain all functions of their brain and drug usage results in death. As a counselor, this project gave me some insight into the behavior individuals struggling with alcohol and substance abuse experience. Now I can not only say I hear what you are saying. Respectfully, I can say that I understand it as well.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When I was little I had the cleché experience of watching my mom put her makeup on and her dusting her bright pink blush over cheeks. From there on I loved makeup and learning how to use it to enhance the natural beauty, and also the intensity and colorful side of the world. With makeup you can be anything or anyone you want. Now as I am 19 I play with makeup when I get bored or when I want to just feel good about who I am. I can remember when I was little I would always ask my mom when I could wear makeup, she would always say that I could when I get bigger, than one year at Christmas I got my first makeup set, although it was like kids and nothing was high quality and the lipsticks were pr... [tags: Cosmetics, Cosmetology, Skin, Human skin color]
1453 words (4.2 pages)
- When I was growing up I wanted for nothing. I can’t remember ever not getting something I wanted after asking. If there was a gift-giving holiday coming up and I asked for a specific present my parents almost always made my current dreams come true. I wasn’t until I was around twelve that there was a specific something that I wanted that I had to wait for, to earn. I wanted my first cell phone more than anything I’d ever asked for before, and the waiting process, to this day, is still vivid. At the time it seemed prolonged and painful.... [tags: Personal Experience ]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- Tattoos have grown in popularity over the years. They have grown to become everything from a way to set oneself apart to symbols of regret that leave a lasting impression. According to a 2010 study by the Pew Research Institute called "MILLENNIALS A Portrait of Generation Next Confident. Connected. Open to Change." where 2,020 adults were surveyed, 23 percent of surveyed adults had at least one tattoo. Tattoos have become a cultural norm, and even created their own thriving sub-culture. Also noted in the Pew study is the fact that in 1960, there were approximately 500 professional tattoo artists operating in the United States.... [tags: Tattoo, Tattooing, Permanent makeup]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Introduction Animal testing has continued to be used throughout the makeup industry, with over 200 main stream brands actively testing on animals (PeTA, 2012). Some of which include prestigious brands such as Clinique, Elizabeth Arden and Lancôme. The need for change comes as animals are continuously being exploited by these large companies. For all the testing of cosmetics and toiletry products on animals has been banned in the UK, laboratories that use mice, rats, birds, reptiles and amphibians are exempted from the minimal protections under the Animal Welfare Act (AWA).... [tags: Cosmetic, Toiletry Products, Testing, Makeup]
2317 words (6.6 pages)
- ... Being six years old and not being able to see my mom, was the most fearful thing. My mom got married to another man. When she got married, her husband Joe did not want her to have anything to do with me and my brothers. It was so long ago that I do not remember much, but there is one thing I remember really well. My grandma Dilli, who had short dark hair and always a sweetheart, invited my brothers and I, and my mom and her husband to dinner. My grandma 's house smelled like food, there were old couches that were white and red and had flowers on them in the living room, a downstairs, a tan wall, and such a beautiful house.... [tags: Debut albums, English-language films, Family]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Introduction Makeup setting spray is a technologically advanced mist that comes in a bottle with a spray nozzle attached to it. It can be bought with hypoallergenic qualities and has a wide variety of properties to fit all skin types. (Kassi, April 26, 2014) Most mists claim to hold makeup in place for 16 hours. (Sephora, 2014) Makeup setter is said to work by using temperature control technology to keep the heat away from the skin by absorbing the moisture from the skin and slowly evaporating over the course of 16 hours.... [tags: Makeup Setting Spray, Technology, Mist, Make up]
1063 words (3 pages)
- Remember the Titans Movie Analysis Questions What leadership traits did you observe that portrayed transformational leadership. How did this affect relationships and the outcomes. This movie is a story regarding conflict, racism, and football. In Alexandria, Virginia, forced integration has resulted in two schools closing and consolidating, this assimilation includes the football team which is fraught with anger. The white players do not want to play with the African American players, and vice versa.... [tags: Leadership, Remember the Titans, Coach]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- I am an eighteen year old girl and for as long as I can remember; being female didn’t seem right to me. I felt like I was trapped in a body that wasn’t mine and I still feel that way today. The gender I identify with is the opposite of what people perceive me to be. It is like someone played a nasty trick on me and now I am forced to be something I am not. When I was little I hated getting dressed up for holidays, parties, or any other kind of occasion. My mom would buy me these dresses and insist that I wore them.... [tags: Autobiography Essay, Personal Narrative]
614 words (1.8 pages)
- Compare and Contrast Remember and A Birthday by Christina Rossetti Christina Rossetti was born in Victorian England and grew up in the pre-Raphaelite era. Coming from a well educated family she drew influence for her poems from her surroundings and experiences. In ‘A Birthday’, she looks at the celebration of finding new love. She is overjoyed because her love is reciprocated and wants to make a new beginning with this man spending the rest of her life with him raising a family. A Birthday is filled with joy, happiness and anticipation of what life will be like with her new love.... [tags: Remember A Birthday Christina Rossetti Essays]
1905 words (5.4 pages)
- Remember by Rossetti The opening two lines of Rossetti’s sonnet "Remember" introduce the idea of separation, but whether the speaker’s eminent departure is because she has chosen to leave her lover or because she is dying is not immediately clear. As the poem unfolds, the reader understands that death will divide the couple, and the initial hint of that is the phrase "silent land" to describe the place the speaker is going. The words seem to define a cemetery or individual grave more than heaven, and "silent," in particular, implies a dormant state—an existence and a place that are neither joyous nor painful, pleasant nor sad.... [tags: Remember Rossetti Sonnets Love Essays]
490 words (1.4 pages)
- Architecture And Art : The Great Sphinx
- The Occupational Safety And Health Administration
- The Issues Of K 12
- The Millennium Development Goals And International Monetary Fund Funding
- History Of Trinity Industries Passed Their Sox Compliance
- Deep Vein Thrombosis On The Health Setting Can Be Reduced Through Appropriate Interventions