Honors English IV
An Encouraging Epic Hero
Beowulf was an epic hero during his time. An epic hero is a brave and noble character in an epic poem, admired for great achievements or affected by grand events. “The Anglo Saxon hero was well defined by the actions of Beowulf” (Garcia). Beowulf became an epic hero when he fought Grendel and Grendel’s mother, and became a king, and fought the dragon. Beowulf succeeded with his battles and became an epic hero. Beowulf always boasted that he was a great hero. Beowulf believed he was the greatest warrior of the Geats. After becoming king, Beowulf believed he was the greatest warrior of them all. He was indeed an epic hero.
Beowulf had his first encounter with Grendel. Grendel was the monster that was killing everyone for no reason necessary. Grendel did not stop or want to stop until everyone was gone. The King of the Danes needed help. Beowulf was the one who was called. This battle shows the start of Beowulf becoming an epic hero. Beowulf made a way for his achievements by plotting his first plan to destroy Grendel. Beowulf bravery and strength were the beginning characteristics of becoming an epic hero. Beowulf had enough courage to help Hrothgar. Beowulf waited to handle Grendel with no help. Once Grendel and Beowulf encountered one another, the beginning of our epic hero begins. Beowulf lies down with his brave men. Beowulf for Beginners states, “His soldiers were sure they will not see their country again.” His soldiers were sure of that because they knew Grendel was about to get them as part of the plan to help Beowulf. “A characteristic of an epic hero is that the hero obtains honor from doing battle with potentially superi...
... middle of paper ...
...ould want to be like. Beowulf became more enduring after every battle he encountered. Beowulf strived for the best and not for the worst. Beowulf succeeded his journey until it was time for him to go forever. Beowulf is a legendary “epic hero.” Beowulf developed everything on his journey to the end.
Boyce, Patricia. "Summary of Beowulf Attacks Grendel 's Mother." Beowulf Attacks Grendel 's
Mother. Pace University, 2000. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.
Cascio, Christopher. "Why "Beowulf" Is an Epic Hero." Education. Demand Media, 2016. Web.
7 Jan. 2016.
Lynch, Helen. "Enter." Beowulf for Beginners. University Of Aberdeen Webteam, 1995. Web. 7
Shmoop Editorial Team. "Beowulf Summary." Shmoop.com. Shmoop University, Inc., 11 Nov.
2008. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.
"The LitCharts Study Guide to Beowulf." LitCharts. Web. 7 Jan. 2016.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Epic Hero Beowulf is characterized as an epic hero by possessing qualities in which common mortals lack, battling for the common good, and displaying honor in every act. An epic hero is the central character in an epic, a long narrative poem that recounts the adventures of a legendary hero in pursuit of a goal. According to Jankowski, “Understanding the significance of Beowulf 's acts requires an understanding of the key figures in the epic poem” (1). Epics have been used to preserve values and traditions.... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Epic poetry, Hroðgar]
1048 words (3 pages)
- In the Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf, whose author is unknown, many qualities of an epic hero are located within the confines of the protagonist. The main character, known as Beowulf, travels to Denmark in order to earn infinite glory in his king’s name. Doing so, he embarks on multiple quests to achieve holiness in the surrounding lands of Sweden. While in Denmark, Beowulf exhibits many traits of an Anglo-Saxon hero through his achievements in battle. During the course epic poem, Beowulf actions exemplify qualities of leadership, superhuman strength, and immense courage.... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Epic poetry, Leadership]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- An epic hero according to Anglo-Saxon literature is a hero who is larger-than-life; someone with self-confidence, great strength, and the qualities of loyalty, bravery, and honor. Beowulf can be considered an epic hero for multiple reasons throughout “Beowulf.” Beowulf is a character constructed on all of the Anglo-Saxon epic hero qualifications. For starters, Beowulf is seen as a noble character, that is willing to provide security for the people by risking his own life. As a character, Beowulf conducts superhuman strength, and can complete impossible tasks.... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Grendel's mother, Epic poetry]
1052 words (3 pages)
- Beowulf an Epic Hero An epic hero according to Anglo-Saxon literature is a hero who is larger-than-life; someone with self-confidence, great strength, and the qualities of loyalty, bravery, and honor. Beowulf can be considered an epic hero for multiple reasons throughout “Beowulf.” Beowulf is a character constructed on all of the Anglo-Saxon epic hero qualifications. For starters, Beowulf is seen as a noble character, that is willing to provide security for the people by risking his own life. As a character, Beowulf conducts superhuman strength, and can complete impossible tasks.... [tags: Hero, Beowulf, Grendel's mother, Epic poetry]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Beowulf is an epic hero being the central character presenting himself as larger than life, showing high skills, courage, and virtue. Skill, courage, and virtue are shown as values by the Anglo-Saxons. An epic hero is the central character of an epic, a long narrative poem that recounts the adventures of a legendary hero in pursuit of a goal of national importance. All epics consist of an epic hero, a quest, valorous deeds, divine intervention, and great events. An epic hero is larger than life, typically born noble or semi-divine, and presents courage, skill and virtue against opposing, often evil, forces.... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, KILL, Beowulf]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Beowulf: The Epic Hero Throughout time, society has come in contact with individuals who are praised due to their bravery, loyalty, strength and a tendency to go beyond the limit. One may call this individual a hero, and if asked to give some examples of heroism, one may pick the classical literary hero Beowulf. According to Roger B. Rolling, Beowulf is classified as a Type I hero who, “if superior in degree to other men but not to his natural environment, … is a leader. He has authority, passions, and powers of expression far greater than ours but is subject both to social criticism and to the order of nature” (434).... [tags: Beowulf, Hero, Hroðgar, Beowulf]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- A true hero does not fear death or, but instead risks all that he is for what he believes to be right, moral, and just. Beowulf is an epic and tells the story of a legendary hero, conquering all obstacles as if he was immortal. Up until the end of Beowulf’s life he was constantly looking to be the hero. However, his humanity is exposed by his death. Heroes all share the characteristic of their willingness to die in their effort to accomplish their heroic act, thus making the act in itself heroic.... [tags: The Epic of Beowulf]
951 words (2.7 pages)
- What are the qualities of an epic hero. An Epic hero is a hero on a quest, with superhuman powers displaying courage, generosity, and loyalty. Translated by Burton Raffel, the epic story Beowulf is one of the best and well known epics of its time. In the novel Beowulf the epic hero Beowulf shows characteristics of courage, physical strength, loyalty, self-confidence, and wisdom, much like heroes today. In the epic Beowulf, the title character, shows his physical strength and courage in several ways.... [tags: Epic of Beowulf Essays]
588 words (1.7 pages)
- Every epic hero possesses certain heroic characteristics. The epic poem Beowulf describes the most heroic man of the Anglo-Saxon times. Beowulf is the hero. He shows that he is a great man by always putting other things before his own needs. He is important and needed by his people and is known by many as a strong, courageous and a helpful person. He shows all of the qualities and traits that a true hero possesses. Beowulf, like other epic heroes, possesses the following heroic qualities: epic heroes are superhuman types of beings.... [tags: Epic of Beowulf Essays]
459 words (1.3 pages)
- Beowulf An Epic Hero Beowulf: An Epic Hero Being a hero can be defined many different ways. Several qualities like courage, respect, and strength can define heroism. A hero is noted for his or her actions for being brave, powerful, and acting with honor. In the epic poem, Beowulf, the main character Beowulf shows all of these characteristics by defending the Danish king, Hrothgar, and his people. He is a true hero by honoring his country and exerting his power and strength to protect others.... [tags: Epic of Beowulf Essays]
695 words (2 pages)