The story is set in the Natchez trace in the southwestern state of Mississippi. The trace is an old highway that runs from Nashville, Tennessee, to Natchez, Mississippi. The story begins in the woods and eventually leads to the city of Natchez. This took place in December, during Christmas in the 1940s.
In the story Phoenix Jackson is a little old blind lady going on a little journey on the cold winter days to town to get medicines for her grandson who she dearly cares for so much. On her journey she goes through many obstacles and faces many dangers, but the love for her grandson keeps her strong and together. A while back, her grandson swallowed lye which know made him very sick and needs medicine to take away the pain. In the article “Symbolism in ‘A Worn Path’ “Jackson has to head out into town “to
obtain the medicine for her grandson.” She starts her journey one cold morning through the path she knows very well. She wore a striped dress that went all the way down to the...
... middle of paper ...
... to her grandson.
Continue achieving your destinations, don’t give up. People have it worst than you, like phoenix she was blind and defenseless, but continued her destination to get her grandson medicine.
Beller, Michele. “‘A Worn Path’ by Eudora Welty: Symbols and Themes.” Yahoo! Voices. Yahoo Inc., 29th Nov 2008. Web. 17 Mar 2014
Cummings, Michael J. “‘A Worn Path’ Study guide.” Cummingsstudyguides.N.p., 2011. Web.17 Mar 2014.
Garcia, Abu. “Symbolism in ‘A Worn Path’ by Eudora Welty.” Scribd.Np., n.d. Web. 17 Mar 2014
Roberts, Edgar V. and Henry E. Jacobs, ed. “‘A Worn Path’ Analysis.” Yahoo Contributor Network. Yahoo, Inc., 6 Nov 2008. Web .17 2014
Schnalia. “Symbolism in ‘A Worn Path’.” College Essays Help and Ideas.N.p., 5 Mar 2012. Web.17 Mar 2014.
123helpme Editors. “Symbolism in ‘A Worn path’.” 123helpme.N.p., n.d. web. 17 Mar 2014
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Everyday people encounter challenges that stand in their way of achieving their goals, but with sheer determination most accomplish their mission. In the short story “A Worn Path” written by Eudora Welty, Phoenix Jackson, the main character, has a mission to complete while confronting many challenges. One way to convey this idea is with the literary use of theme. The theme of a literary work is defined as the central idea, concern or message about life that an author wishes to convey to his/her readers.... [tags: Determination, Worn Path, Eudora Welty, ]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- Eudora Welty's "A Worn Path" Throughout time, people have traveled the trodden course of life, overcoming obstacles along the way and grasping onto hope to strengthen their steps. In her short story “A Worn Path”, Eudora Welty communicates this timeless theme through the protagonist, Phoenix, who has traveled this path many times. Through her usage of dialogue and symbolism, Welty illustrates the lasting concept that people conquer hardships in life and ultimately prevail. Welty utilizes dialogue to portray how others belittle Phoenix and attempt to destroy her dignity in vain.... [tags: Eudora Welty Worn Path Essays]
649 words (1.9 pages)
- Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Eudora Welty's 'A Worn Path' is a story that emphasizes the natural symbolism of the surroundings. As the story begins, we are introduced to our main character, Phoenix Jackson; she is described as a small, old Negro woman. I believe that the name Eudora Welty gives our main character is very symbolic. The legend of the Phoenix is about a fabled sacred bird of ancient Egyptians. The bird is said to come out of Arabia every 500 years to Heliopolis, where it burned itself on the altar and rose again from its ashes, young and beautiful.... [tags: Eudora Welty Worn Path Essays Papers]
1353 words (3.9 pages)
- Realism in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Eudora Welty's "A Worn Path" is a story that emphasizes the natural symbolism of the surroundings. The main character in the story, Phoenix Jackson, is an old black woman who seeks out to find medicine for her sick nephew. This story contains a motif, which is the continuous walking of Phoenix Jackson throughout her journey. She lives in the pinewoods and faces the challenging experience of walking through the snowy, frozen earth to get to the hospital in the city of Natchez.... [tags: Worn Path Essays Eudora Welty Papers]
1236 words (3.5 pages)
- Fate in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path Fate can take control of humans lives and can help humans reach the end of the challenging path. The path is a journey which can not be totally controlled by humans. There will always be obstacles that will rely on fate. The path is a metaphor for life and life is full of obstacle s and risks that Phoenix needed to overcome in this story. Before Phoenix made it down the hill, the bush got caught in her clothes. It shows that you should not judge from the outside and that things are not always what they seem.... [tags: Worn Path]
536 words (1.5 pages)
- Following Welty’s A Worn Path The stories meld together into a long history of oppression. Slave ships transport thousands of Africans from the Gold Coast into America's grip, callously beginning black America's racial saga. Laborers collapse after hours of shredding their fingers on cotton plants. Sobbing mothers tenderly clean up the flesh that cat-o-nine tails ripped off their child's back. America eventually witnesses the Emancipation of slaves, and even relative "equality," but an African American's obstacles will never completely subside.... [tags: A Worn Path Essays]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- A Worn Path – An Analysis The short story "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty, is a descriptive story of a grandmother's difficult journey, for a grandson she loves. Her devotion to her grandson and wanting to provide him with a better lifestyle, was her motivation to overcome these trials. On this trip, Phoenix Jackson, the grandmother, struggles against old age, nature, and reality. Phoenix Jackson was certainly a dedicated old lady. She refused to give up, despite the odds against her, to help her grandson.... [tags: Worn Path essays]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- Devotion in A Worn Path In "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty an elderly African American woman named Phoenix Jackson picks a cold December day to make yet another perilous journey to a city to get medicine for her ailing grandson. On the way this ninety-year-old woman faces many obstacles, both natural and man-made. Phoenix draws upon her perseverance and willingness to sacrifice herself to help her throughout her journey, but it is the undying love for her grandson that truly guides and drives her to her final goal.... [tags: Worn Path essays]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- “A Worn Path” by Eudora Welty, is the tale of an elderly black woman who shows an enormous amount of determination when it comes to helping her unceasingly ill grandson. Phoenix Jackson is the main character in Welty’s “A Worn Path.” Throughout the story, Miss Phoenix Jackson travels the same path every day overcoming whatever obstacles she encounters as she strives along the path in the contribution of her grandson’s health, for he is whom Phoenix habitually travels this “worn path.” Furthermore, the story must be noted for its simplicity, and vast metaphoric symbolism.... [tags: Eudora Welty, Essays on A Worn Path]
2514 words (7.2 pages)
- Life Struggles of Phoenix in Eudora Welty's A Worn Path "A Worn Path," by Eudora Welty is a heartbreaking story about the heroic trip of an old African American woman, Phoenix. The readers won't find out right away the plot of the story or why Phoenix won't give up her exhausting trip to town-the conflict of this story-especially on a very cold day. The title, "A Worn Path," indicates that Phoenix has obviously walked down this path many times before-also the fact that she can cross a creek with her eyes closed confirms the title's message.... [tags: Worn Path Essays]
760 words (2.2 pages)