A major problem in weight gain is caused by distorted views on portion size. Serving size today is three times as large as the recommended portion size. When people see an 8 oz. soda pop for $1 and a 32 oz. for $1.50, they often desire the largest size possible. According to Cheryl Havens, a registered dietitian in Oregon, “Every time [we] eat out, portions of food are three times more than what we should be eating - yet this is training us that this portion is the right amount.” (Havens). People often feel the need to upgrade their size, simply because everyone else buys the largest available size, distorting the view of proper proportions.
Today’s young generation is susceptible to the need to diet because of distorted portion size and prevalence of fast food. A survey conducted by NEDA found that 91% of people on a college campus had tried dieting and 22% diet often. They also found that children between 1st and 3rd grade already want to be thinner and half of them have tried d...
... middle of paper ...
all." Maclean's 1 Oct. 2012: 59. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.Whitney, Conner.
Middelmann. "A High-Protein, Low-Carb Diet Is Healthier than the Standard
Western Diet." Is the Western Diet Making the World Sick? Ed. Susan C. Hunnicutt. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. At Issue. Rpt. from "Low-carb, high-protein eating may curb cancer risk." Psychology Today (23 June 2011).Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 9 Apr. 2014.
Sommerfeld, Julia. "Dieting Prolongs the Adult Lifespan." Can Diets Be Harmful? Ed. Ron
Lankford. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2007. At Issue. Rpt. from "The Challenge of a Lifetime: Aging Well—Slashing Calories: Can It Really Lengthen Your Life?" Seattle Times 12 Nov. 2003: A1+. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 21 Apr. 2014.
“Statistics on Dieting and Eating Disorders”. Montenido.com. Monte Nido. 2011. Web. 6 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many Americans have struggled with losing weight for years. They have tried a variety of diets, but can’t seem to get away from the multitude of fast food chains that are on every street corner. According to the American Cancer Society, “About 1 in 3 American adults is now obese, and another 1 in 3 is overweight.” In my journey of losing weight, I’ve learned that losing weight is by far the hardest task I have ever encountered. With the right equipment and determination, losing weight is a lifestyle.... [tags: obesity, overweight, weight loss]
574 words (1.6 pages)
- With that being said, the opposite side of the spectrum also holds true. The more strict a diet is, the harder it is to keep up with. People are not meant to be deprived of calories that their bodies require for extended periods of time (¨Diet and Weight-Loss…¨). There is a reason that every body has a different calorie allowance. They all can adjust to certain diets. Constant deprivation will result in succumbing to the wants of the body or halting fat loss due to adaptation. Restricting a body from food sources will fail due to lack of response regarding the rapid absence of nutrients.... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Dieting, Weight loss]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- All women desire beauty. As myriads of women seek a perfect body shape and attractiveness, they will have interest in having weight loss treatment. In fact, losing weight has come into a vogue. People, especially female, do not take their weight into serious account but follow the others blindly and participate in weight loss programmes. Patently, the main culprit of this phenomenon is the omnipresent weight loss advertisements. The slimming companies use advertising as a tool to inculcate the concept that being thin is equal to beauty into people’ minds.... [tags: Weight Loss, Advertising, weight, ]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Stages of a Weight Loss Journey By Sandy Reynolds | Submitted On December 09, 2010 Recommend Article Article Comments Print Article Share this article on Facebook Share this article on Twitter Share this article on Google+ Share this article on Linkedin Share this article on StumbleUpon Share this article on Delicious Share this article on Digg Share this article on Reddit Share this article on Pinterest As you begin your efforts to lose weight, you must realize that any successful weight loss endeavor is a continuing journey.... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Weight loss, Dieting]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Weight loss requires self discipline and motivation. The most significant step in your weight loss journey is to focus on reducing calories by eating small meals and sticking to a low fat diet. A low fat diet mostly consists of eating lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables. It is best to avoid eating junk foods since they are unhealthy and will most likely cause you to gain more weight. According to experts, a low fat diet is very essential and you will find that you are able to lose weight quickly.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Dieting, Weight loss]
923 words (2.6 pages)
- The Golden Rules To Weight Loss These rules are set in stone amongst regular dieters and weight loss participaters of the world today. They keep to the golden code of simple but effective guidelines that as helped them to overcome the restless worry and aggrevation of being too large and fat. That fear is what has pushed them on to get results. If more and more people followed these guidelines, they would be happier about themselves than they are right now. They are simple, effective and easy to follow.... [tags: Nutrition, Milk, Obesity, Weight loss]
1422 words (4.1 pages)
- Rapid Weight Loss Are you looking for a fast weight loss plan fast weight loss plan, specifically designed for women, that does not require any special equipment for exercise, or extra stuff to use. Today is your lucky day. I will let you in on an open secret - and since this is exceptionally for women; men you may leave now (or stay and be quiet ;-) ). Imagine a rapid weight loss program that takes into consideration that undergoing weight loss or fat loss is more complicated for females than males.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Weight loss, AIDS]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- Now we all have seen these miracle weight lose commercials; with some skinny shmuck, selling the newest improved snake oil. Let us be honest, they want your money, and the industry does not give a damn about you. Look at when they run the ads on TV we all know how much it cost to have ads on TV. Showing many advertisements that show, supplements to get you to lose weight; while bulking up, Diets that eliminate exercise, even exercises that may cause more damage to your body then you will benefit from (have to break down bone and muscle to build bone and muscle.... [tags: miracle weight loss products don't work]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- Lecithin Supplement's Effectiveness In Weight Loss WHAT IS LECITHIN. Lecithin, a lipid material composed of choline and inositol, is found in all living cells as a major component of cell membranes, which regulate the nutrients entering and exiting the cell. The term "lecithin" has two definitions depending on what group is using the term. Scientists define lecithin as synonymous with phosphatidylcholine, the name for one of the principle phospholipids. On the other hand, producers of lecithin for commercial use use the term lecithin to refer to a complex mix of phosphatides and other substances that contain phosphatidylcholine.... [tags: Lecithin Health Weight Loss Essays]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- Personal Diet and Weight Loss Management Analysis Each morning I get on the scales and hope that I can celebrate losing a pound or two. The numbers I see on the scale represent a gauge that keeps me moving forward in a weight loss program. When I look at the numbers on the scale I realize I am making progress in losing weight, however, am I putting my body at more risk just by limiting certain foods. Comparing and contrasting my typical diet to the amounts of daily nutrients recommended in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Guide Pyramid has proven that I am not a healthy eater.... [tags: losing weight loss program]
2640 words (7.5 pages)