A major problem in weight gain is caused by distorted views on portion size. Serving size today is three times as large as the recommended portion size. When people see an 8 oz. soda pop for $1 and a 32 oz. for $1.50, they often desire the largest size possible. According to Cheryl Havens, a registered dietitian in Oregon, “Every time [we] eat out, portions of food are three times more than what we should be eating - yet this is training us that this portion is the right amount.” (Havens). People often feel the need to upgrade their size, simply because everyone else buys the largest available size, distorting the view of proper proportions.
Today’s young generation is susceptible to the need to diet because of distorted portion size and prevalence of fast food. A survey conducted by NEDA found that 91% of people on a college campus had tried dieting and 22% diet often. They also found that children between 1st and 3rd grade already want to be thinner and half of them have tried d...
... middle of paper ...
all." Maclean's 1 Oct. 2012: 59. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.Whitney, Conner.
Middelmann. "A High-Protein, Low-Carb Diet Is Healthier than the Standard
Western Diet." Is the Western Diet Making the World Sick? Ed. Susan C. Hunnicutt. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2013. At Issue. Rpt. from "Low-carb, high-protein eating may curb cancer risk." Psychology Today (23 June 2011).Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 9 Apr. 2014.
Sommerfeld, Julia. "Dieting Prolongs the Adult Lifespan." Can Diets Be Harmful? Ed. Ron
Lankford. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2007. At Issue. Rpt. from "The Challenge of a Lifetime: Aging Well—Slashing Calories: Can It Really Lengthen Your Life?" Seattle Times 12 Nov. 2003: A1+. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 21 Apr. 2014.
“Statistics on Dieting and Eating Disorders”. Montenido.com. Monte Nido. 2011. Web. 6 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many Americans have struggled with losing weight for years. They have tried a variety of diets, but can’t seem to get away from the multitude of fast food chains that are on every street corner. According to the American Cancer Society, “About 1 in 3 American adults is now obese, and another 1 in 3 is overweight.” In my journey of losing weight, I’ve learned that losing weight is by far the hardest task I have ever encountered. With the right equipment and determination, losing weight is a lifestyle.... [tags: obesity, overweight, weight loss]
574 words (1.6 pages)
- All women desire beauty. As myriads of women seek a perfect body shape and attractiveness, they will have interest in having weight loss treatment. In fact, losing weight has come into a vogue. People, especially female, do not take their weight into serious account but follow the others blindly and participate in weight loss programmes. Patently, the main culprit of this phenomenon is the omnipresent weight loss advertisements. The slimming companies use advertising as a tool to inculcate the concept that being thin is equal to beauty into people’ minds.... [tags: Weight Loss, Advertising, weight, ]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Now we all have seen these miracle weight lose commercials; with some skinny shmuck, selling the newest improved snake oil. Let us be honest, they want your money, and the industry does not give a damn about you. Look at when they run the ads on TV we all know how much it cost to have ads on TV. Showing many advertisements that show, supplements to get you to lose weight; while bulking up, Diets that eliminate exercise, even exercises that may cause more damage to your body then you will benefit from (have to break down bone and muscle to build bone and muscle.... [tags: miracle weight loss products don't work]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- The body is capable of burning fat on its own. However, with the increased cravings for fatty and sugary foods, even the body is having difficulty burning them. As a result, more and more people are becoming obese, and the urge becomes almost insatiable. Now, getting back to shape may not be an easy thing for the obese. Unless they are determined to change their mindsets towards weight loss, it is going to be impossible for them to achieve it. If you belong in this category and you want to reform, you can start taking steps the natural way.... [tags: weight loss, obesity, fat, supplements]
593 words (1.7 pages)
- Lecithin Supplement's Effectiveness In Weight Loss WHAT IS LECITHIN. Lecithin, a lipid material composed of choline and inositol, is found in all living cells as a major component of cell membranes, which regulate the nutrients entering and exiting the cell. The term "lecithin" has two definitions depending on what group is using the term. Scientists define lecithin as synonymous with phosphatidylcholine, the name for one of the principle phospholipids. On the other hand, producers of lecithin for commercial use use the term lecithin to refer to a complex mix of phosphatides and other substances that contain phosphatidylcholine.... [tags: Lecithin Health Weight Loss Essays]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- Personal Diet and Weight Loss Management Analysis Each morning I get on the scales and hope that I can celebrate losing a pound or two. The numbers I see on the scale represent a gauge that keeps me moving forward in a weight loss program. When I look at the numbers on the scale I realize I am making progress in losing weight, however, am I putting my body at more risk just by limiting certain foods. Comparing and contrasting my typical diet to the amounts of daily nutrients recommended in the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Guide Pyramid has proven that I am not a healthy eater.... [tags: losing weight loss program]
2640 words (7.5 pages)
- Weight Loss with Phen/Fen and Redux History of Weight Loss Since the beginning of time, weight loss has been a concern for people throughout the world. In the Nineties, it has become the focus of numerous advertisements, articles, and media scams. Infomercials selling everything from exercise equipment to magical creams promising results of cellulite-free thighs are plastered across late-night television in perfect view for anyone. Along with all of this, diet pills once again became the fad in 1994 with phen/fen.... [tags: Diet Pills Weight Loss Dieting Papers]
3266 words (9.3 pages)
- Americans are more overweight today than ever before. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), more than one third of U.S. adults – over 72 million people, were obese in 2007-2008. This includes 32.2% of men and 35.5% of women (CDC 2). With the high rate of obesity in the United States, dieting and weight loss is on the minds of many Americans. In the text book, “Nutrition – an Applied Approach”, Thompson and Manore describe a healthful diet as one that offers a variety of foods, is balanced, and that also provides an appropriate amount of nutrients to maintain a healthy weight (39).... [tags: Diet, Weight Loss, Instructional Essay]
1709 words (4.9 pages)
- "Thinness equals success" is the notion that many college-aged, upper-middle class, white women looking to become part of professional society hold today. The "Culture of Slenderness" has many ways of exerting its influence and fulfilling its aims effectively (Toro, Cervera, Perez, 1988, pg.136). This message has been exploited by the media and by society's professional work force. Since the woman's arrival into professional society, a new norm has been set by white professional men that has begun to affect a new generation of white women leaders.... [tags: Media Weight Loss Papers]
2204 words (6.3 pages)
- Physical Activity and Weight Control Regular physical activity is an important part of effective weight loss and weight maintenance. It also can help prevent several diseases and improve your overall health. It does not matter what type of physical activity you perform--sports, planned exercise, household chores, yard work, or work-related tasks--all are beneficial. Studies show that even the most inactive people can gain significant health benefits if they accumulate 30 minutes or more of physical activity per day.... [tags: Health Fitness Weight Loss Essays]
2041 words (5.8 pages)