Shooting incidents registered in January 2014 reached 11 in the American schools, while classrooms and campuses lockdowns occur more frequently. It became a daily habit that alerts occur in the different educational institutions.
Mayors Agains Illegal Guns, an organization concerned with gun control advocacy, indicates that shooting incidents registered in 2013 reached 28 in American schools and collages (TheGuardian, 2014).
Since January 20th of this year, a shooting incident or a lockdown has occured on a daily basis in American schools. The killing of 12 students in a 1999 shooting in the Columbine High School is included. Two occasions were people died are on January 25, a shooting incident in a shopping mall near Washington resulted in the killing of two people and the suicide of the 19 year old shooter, and on January 26, a police man at Pennsylvania State Police was shot by a 16 year old carjacker while the former was checking on the vehicle of the later (TheGuardian, 2014).
As media conducts 24/7 coverage of the crimes focusing on the criminals' backgrounds, the possibility of tragedies in future increases; unstable people may be attracted to this kind of incidents (Muschert & Sumiala, 2012).
This issue is addressed by school principals, superintendents, board members and other school administrators. Emergency plans and procedures were put for staff and students in order to be ready in times of crisis (Muschert & Sumiala, 2012). Such procedures will definitely save lives when an emergency come up and they are ...
... middle of paper ...
...tion of sanctity of human life and easy access to guns in families depicted in many shooter video games and American movies are named among the major reasons for armed violence in United States by foreign and domestic experts alike (Langman, 2009). But progun advocates points out that shooters choose gun free zones often such as colleges and schools, because they can do untrammeled damage so as to escape easily.
Mental health disorders are pervasive in the student population. It is essential for school districts to have appropriate procedures and guidelines that identify both what they should be doing, as well as clarifying services that need to be provided by other systems. With effective procedures and guidelines in place, schools can get a handle on this complex topic, and be a successful collaborative partner in the provision of services to vulnerable students.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Late last year, on December 2 2015, Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, opened fire on an office party for the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California. Both Farook and his wife were later killed in a shootout with the police. Not before they were able to murder 14 people attending the party. Farook was 28, Malik 29. The FBI believes that this was a terrorist attack. They are now determined to unlock his IPhone, containing possible information on not only the attack but the terrorist group.... [tags: Terrorism, Federal Bureau of Investigation]
1401 words (4 pages)
- On December 17, 2012, a man shot twenty-seven people—twenty of which were children—at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Had there been a gun for the school’s defense, the amount of those killed could have been significantly lower. As Adam Lanza entered the building, armed and ready to kill, a good guy could have shot him, saving many lives. Guns control prohibits good people from having the ability to stop the bad guys. Gun control laws should be loosened because they violate the Constitution, decrease protection, and it is proven that gun control laws only result in higher crime rate.... [tags: gun control, mass shooting, adam lanza]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- According to Blitzer’s Rhetorical Situation the main components in a speech are looking for a fitting response, an audience that’s listening, constraints and a rhetorical response. (Bitzer, 1968) The speech that I used to illustrate what Bitzer’s rhetorical situation was the speech President Obama gave about the shooting that took place in Connecticut, at the Sandy Hook Elementary school. The school shooting took place on December 14th, 2012. A twenty-year-old man by the name of Adam Lanza shot and killed twenty-six people then killed himself; Adam Lanza killed twenty children and six adults.... [tags: prevent tragedies, parent, future]
527 words (1.5 pages)
- On April 8, 2013, President Barack Obama spoke at the University of Hartford on behalf of those who died in the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut. President Obama addressed the people of the state of Connecticut and on a federal level. The broadcasting networks provided live coverage of President Obama’s speech, and a national audience listened as the president’s addressing the issues and the next steps forward for the country. The impact of this tragedy and previous massive shootings and Obama’s explanation have been a subject of a controversial debate.... [tags: Sandy Hook Shooting, NRA]
1786 words (5.1 pages)
- Together, the Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook school shootings resulted in seventy-seven deaths. Gun related school violence continues to occur and has become more frequent in the recent years. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed one teacher and twelve students at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado on April 20th, 1999. In the shooting, they injured twenty other students before they turned their guns on themselves. Columbine, one of the first school shootings, caused a progression of gun-related violence in schools.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- I was lounging around my living room making plans for my weekend when I first heard the news anchors reporting live from Newtown, Connecticut. I was anxiously awaiting the end of my first semester of high school when a classroom full of first graders lost their lives at Sandy Hook Elementary School. I was just a child on December 14, 2012 when the sanctity of the American education system changed forever. In the weeks that followed the Sandy Hook Massacre, our country was left grappling with the reality of what had happened.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Church of Christ]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- In the world today there are events that happen and have stories untold. On the rise are many different twists that come about from events happening. “63 percent of registered American voters believe in at least one political conspiracy theory according to a recent poll conducted by Fairleigh Dickinson University” (“Theories Prosper”). There are many different conspiracy theories in the world today including, included in the top ten lists of conspiracy theories is the Sandy Hook elementary shooting, the Boston Marathon bombings, as well as the September 11th terrorist attacks.... [tags: Conspiracy Theories]
2064 words (5.9 pages)
- On December 14, 2012 Adam Lanza, a 20 year old with asperger’s syndrome, shot his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut . According to the final report by the states attorney’s office he got in the school at 9:30 AM in the morning and shot the principal and the school’s psychologist that went out to the hallway to check loud bangs they heard. He then moved on to class rooms where innocent children were learning and started shooting and by 9:40 AM, just ten minutes later, he took the lives of twenty six people, including twenty children age twelve and below and six adults, before taking his own life (State Report on Sandy Hook Elementary shooting).... [tags: Shootings, Sandy Hook, Violence, Gun Rights]
1787 words (5.1 pages)
- Should sex and violence in television and movies be restricted. On December 14th 2012 Adam Lanza killed 20 children and 6 staff members of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown Connecticut. He also killed his mother before the shooting rampage, and ended the day by killing himself. James Holmes, a Ph.D. candidate in neuroscience, entered a movie theater in Aurora Colorado and killed 12 people and injured 58 others on July 20th 2012. On November 5th 2009 Army psychiatrist Nidal Malik Hasan murdered 13 people and injured another 29 at Fort Hood army base in Texas.... [tags: shooting, gun violence, protect]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- Nothing is more horrible then the atrocities that took place on December 14th 2012 in Sandy Hook Connecticut, when students at the Sandy Hook Elementary school were gunned down by twenty years old Adam Lanza. who suffered from an obsessive compulsive behavior, and had an odd fascination with mass shootings, when he entered the school carrying more than thirty pounds of ammunition and Lanza had three guns, one was a semi-automatic bushmaster rifle, and two pistols, Lanza then killed twenty first- grader students, and six adults, his mother being one of them, all in eleven minuets.... [tags: biased news, shooting, elementary]
937 words (2.7 pages)