One of the many privileges gays and lesbians are deprived of today is the right to legally marry. In fact, denying gays and lesbians the opportunity to marry is unconstitutional. “The US Supreme Court ruled in 1974’s Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur that the ‘freedom of personal choice in matters of marriage and family life is one of the liberties protected by the Due Process Clause’” (“Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?”). Therefore, preventing gays and lesbians from marrying contradicts the United States Constitution.
Despite the Supreme Court’s verdict, others will argue that gay mar...
... middle of paper ...
Same-Sex Parents with a Baby. Photograph. N.d. Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001. University of Minnesota Blogs. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Thompson, William C., Jr., Gayle M. Horwitz, Eduardo Castell, and Marcia Van Wagner. Love Counts: The Economic Benefits of Marriage Equality for New York. Office of the New York City Comptroller, Office of Fiscal & Budget Studies, June 2007. Web. 4 Nov. 2013.
Two Women Get Married. Photograph. N.d. The Calvington Post. Duke University. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Vespa-Papaleo, J. Frank, Steven Goldstein, Stephen J. Hyland, Barbara G. Allen, AnnLynne Benson, Robert Brensenhan, Jr., Joseph A. Komosinki, Erin O'Leary, Charles Blustein Ortman, Melissa H. Raksa, Barbra Casbar Siperstein, Linda Schwimmer, and Kevin E. Taylor. Consequences of New Jersey's Civil Union Law. Rep. New Jersey Civil Union Review Commission, 10 Dec. 2008. Web. 5 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What is wrong with America. This is a nation built on the success of the children, and future generations. How can we say that when thousands of children are in foster care to this day. To confront this problem states must realize that adoption to homosexuals is a great opportunity, not by just giving children homes, but also allowing them to experience the lifestyle that same-sex patents present. In addition, the government has to realize that religion should not play a role in whether or not gays should be able to adopt as a couple.... [tags: gay studies, adoption, argumentative, persuasive]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Another choice of adoption is foster care adoption, Children in foster care can range in age from a few months to eighteen years old. Once the child is put in foster care the brith parents right are no longer valid. These children feel alone and have no one as family. Be understanding, "While many foster children are happy to have a home, they may not be so easy to please. Some will test your patience by acting up, being sad and/or shy. Don’t expect foster children to be extra grateful and obedient" (What Can You Learn From Your Response 4).... [tags: birth parents, international adoption]
1065 words (3 pages)
- The modern society of the United States has recently exhibited a rise in the numbers of single parent adoption. The most extreme increase lies in the Hollywood sector of social media that can be commonly observed on nationwide celebrity news channels such as TMZ, E-TV, and Access Hollywood. The big question brought forth to most tabloids and dinner tables across the country inquires whether or not these adoptions are morally acceptable and if the law should permit them. However, the government has already allowed this type of adoption.... [tags: parenthood, adoption system, family]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- Russia’s Refusal to Allow American Adoption On July 3rd of 2013 the Huffington Post took to their pens and paper and announced that Putin had signed an adoption ban to any country that accepted same sex marriage, even if the couple trying to adopt was not same sex. Italy is the ONLY country in the world allowed to adopt children from Russia because they are the only country that bans same-sex marriage (Ford, par. 2). “In a combative news conference, Pavel Astakhov, the ombudsman, said he has been opposed to U.S.... [tags: life, putin, adoption ban]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- The California UPA has a unique function, which allows a mother to establish parenthood through the provision that fathers use to establish paternity. The California Supreme Court recognized that the Court of Appeal made an error, by ruling, “California law recognizes only one natural mother”, in interpreting a statement from a prior California Supreme Court ruling in Johnson v. Calvert. The Attorney General, representing “the public interest in establishing, modifying, and enforcing support obligations,” contended that the statement from Johnson, cannot be used to deny children of same-sex parents the benefits that children of opposite-sex couples receive when only two parties are entitled... [tags: parenthood, court, gay and lesbians]
1536 words (4.4 pages)
- On June 26, 2015, the US Supreme Court ruled that the US Constitution guarantees the right for same-sex couples to marry. Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy stated in the majority opinion: "The court now holds that same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry. No longer may this liberty be denied to them." Many conservatives are completely against gay marriage and they have stated that they will fight to have the Supreme Court ruling overturned. People against gay marriages say that it is not natural to be a homosexual.... [tags: Same Sex Marriage Essays]
1364 words (3.9 pages)
- Homosexual couples have had to endure much due to them not only being a minority, but also being declared illegal. I believe that homosexual marriage should be legal in Georgia. To delve into an issue as divisive as this, understanding why it is illegal in the first place is in order. In 1996 the United States Congress passed DOMA, the Defense of Marriage Act, into law. This law was made in order to define what marriage means when writing laws. The Defense of Marriage Act states “… The word “marriage” means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word “spouse” refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife” (1 USC 7).... [tags: gay rights]
998 words (2.9 pages)
- Within this essay, the main focus will be to develop a thorough analysis and discussion in relation to the topic of gay marriage. In order to construct this, this essay will discuss positions in favor of and against gay marriage. In reference to the position supporting gay marriage, the discussion will focus on; discrimination and equality and respect on individual’s rights. The points that will be discussed contraty to gay marriage will be building upon ideas that we rose in the debate as well as incorporating some new material.... [tags: Legalizing Gay Marriage]
2697 words (7.7 pages)
- ... I think we should rebuild the country on a new foundation with a few changes, but for the most part, the same traditional principles. The United States has come a very long way in its young life, and it still has a lot of growing up to do and it needs to adjust to this ever changing world. Our society should come to our senses and start giving gays the rights they deserve. There are some major benefits to being married to someone, mainly the social and health benefits. Married couples are healthier, happier and enjoy longer lives than those who are not married.... [tags: legalization of homosexual marriage]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- Morality of Same Sex Marriage In order to address this issue, one must first define the concept or meaning of marriage. However, this is a rather subjective approach, because the way we define marriage depends on our own views and interpretations. To come straight to the point, I believe that there is no difference between same sex and traditional marriages regarding validity or moral implications. One could argue that the bond between man and woman is valid, since biologically they are able to have a child.... [tags: Papers]
330 words (0.9 pages)