America can be either your best friend or your worst enemy. Not to sound like a racist,
but in America the former usually applies to white people and the latter applies to our
black folk. Yes if you look at the history of America, the place hasn 't exactly been
"heaven" to many African Americans across its landscape. Over time many of our ancestors
have been enslaved by privileged white folk along with thousands of black folk ending up in
confrontations with the police for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, African Americans
weren 't exactly treated with "Southern hospitality". Despite being an African
American myself, I know that America is my home. Through all the hard times, America
has given black people all around it the chance to express and be themselves.
To start with my primary family, this wonderful place known as Miami, Florida is where
we were all born and raised. My mother and father are an interesting bunch. They have
been together for a long time, from before my birth to long after. I do not know much
about the ancestry of my people, but my dad would always refer to us as African Americans,
nothing more & nothing less. My father has a strong dislike for the white man, especially if they
are police offers. A trait that I know other African Americans possess. My mother is a little
more friendly but is certainly not afraid to speak her mind in or about any situation.
My parents have been around & together for a long time in this country and I highly appreciate
the hard work and time they have put in to make sure that i 'm good. Tavie and Tevin
are my two older brothers. Tavie is the oldest and most outgoing...
... middle of paper ...
...sometimes contain collard greens,
okra, cornbread, oxtails, pigs ' feet, chitterlings and much more options to choose from.
Here in America, the presence of African Americans is far and wide. The damage that has
been dealt to the wound of African American people may not heal and close up, but America
has done some good things for African Americans as well. The times of slavery are no longer
here, black people all around have been granted many opportunities in this land to do something
special in their lifetimes. Many African Americans are big time actors & athletes as well as
politicians, doctors & lawyers. We are apart of what makes our country and the planet we live
on unique. One thing that I will never forget in life is to never forget who you are and where you
came from. I am a black, African American male from the city of Miami and I am proud of it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Censorship ‘ Is censorship a good or bad idea?’ Censorship is all about deciding on what people can see and deciding on what people can view. Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication, which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive or inconvenient as determined by the government, media outlet or controlling body. It clocks out content which mainly is harmful to people and it aims to protect children and vulnerable people by block and removing content from media to limit and restrict what they can see.... [tags: Pornography, Internet, Internet censorship]
1162 words (3.3 pages)
- 'Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much arguing, much writing, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making.' --John Milton The epigram above goes a long way in providing an answer to this oft-repeated question. Of course, we must make a distinction between Aristotle instructing passionate disciples on the definition of happiness and a humble foreign language teacher attempting to familiarize a horde of boisterous adolescents to the intricacies of the English interrogative sentence.... [tags: definition of a good teacher]
802 words (2.3 pages)
- As part of revivals in Christian faith during 18th century onward three practices evolved into their own interpretation on the place and authority of Scripture in the Christian faith. The first of these were the Liberals who “viewed themselves as the saviors of a defunct out of date Christianity” (Bingham 149). Their founder, Friedrich Schleiermacher an 18th century pastor, “did not view traditional, authoritative doctrines, creeds and biblical texts as the preeminent sources in theology (150). Instead the Liberal perspective of Christianity put more emphasis on the doctrines of sin and grace and less attention on the holiness of the trinity (Kerr 213).... [tags: evangelism, neo-orthodox, theology, bible]
1127 words (3.2 pages)
- Mmmm... Oatmeal. American’s food of choice for a healthy breakfast. So many people look forward to that piping hot bowl of pure creamy delight in the morning, and have made it a part of their lives and their families’ daily lives. But, could this wonderful food suddenly change into an unhealthy substance overnight. Well, it has, thanks to America’s corporate food giant, McDonald’s. Like everything thing the company develops for consumption, it has made oatmeal unhealthy. Just recently, on January 3, McDonald’s released a new “healthy” option for breakfast called the “Fruit and Maple Oatmeal” and the at first new addition was welcomed.... [tags: Article Analysis ]
1145 words (3.3 pages)
- After the long awaited day of graduation has passed, college then brings a new beginning of our lives. When we become faced with new opportunities and challenges. For most, college becomes the next step to furthering their education. Some think of going away to college as a way to forget the past and start a new identity. Others go to college to meet a new array of people, become involved with new activities, find out who they are, or simply because they feel college appears to be the next “right” step in their lives.... [tags: College, Housing, Reflection]
1314 words (3.8 pages)
- National ID, a bad idea…. In today’s world, we can say that the main danger to privacy, security for people who lives in free democratic societies can come from the system that will create and apply supposedly very high tech national ID card. The main purpose of National ID card system in a country is to develop nationwide security, decrease crime rate, reveal the terrorists, and guard against illegal immigrants. NID system has been used conducting regular official transactions between government agencies and citizens, with benefits claimed in the areas of convenience, cost saving or fraud reduction.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1740 words (5 pages)
- Do you like making your own decisions. Or would you like to be healed instantaneously when you get hurt. Throughout history, technology has advanced so much ad allowed people to learn a lot more then what they could before we had all this technology. Some of those advancements have allowed to cure diseases, promote healthier lifestyles, and even opened up more jobs. There have also been some advancements that have led to death and disaster. So the movie transcendence, is trying to show that with the use of technology anything is possible.... [tags: Thing, English-language films, Emotion, Feeling]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
- From most perspectives, losing money is a bad thing. From most perspectives, receiving poor grades is a bad thing. Since the second century BC, money has single handedly dictated how people live their lives. Everything we do revolves around money. The people of today have a mentality that if one makes good money; one will achieve whatever they desire. Nothing in life is ever free. Someone had to produce a service or a product that is available for purchase. Being a productive member of society makes that person of high value because they can effectively yield a needed product.... [tags: social media, networking websites, bad grades]
2998 words (8.6 pages)
- You are racing to your bus stop because your stupid alarm clock didn’t wake you up. You get there just on time, as you enter the school bus you can feel the hot air pulsing through the vents that are allowing the children to warm up after walking the sidewalks in the cold morning. When you get to school you begin to fall asleep in the classroom and you look out the window. You think of your journey to school and you realize how far we have come and how bad it would be if the school bus wasn’t reliable too pick you up everyday.... [tags: learn, record, data, social interactions]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- The Power of Good and the Power of Evil According to Christian Belief Most Christians believe that the devil, or Satan, is the power of evil and that God is the power of good. Satan is an ancient Middle Eastern word meaning "an accuser". Satan appears at various times through the Bible as the opposite to God. Satan, in the form of a snake, tempts Adam and Eve to eat the apple and so disobey God. Satan also tests Job and even tempts Jesus to abandon his ministry (but is unsuccessful).... [tags: Papers]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- Personal Values That Motivate Me
- I Am A Daughter Of An Alcoholic
- Bullying As A Malicious And Huge Problem For Children And Young Adults
- The Power Of An Illusion : The House We Live
- Diversity Is Fitting The Child With Special Needs Into Existing Class Structures
- The Importance Of Children 's Development And Behavior