The major problem with gun control laws is that it is likely only the law-abiding will obey them. In the midst of planning or perpetrating a crime, is it plausible that criminals stop and wonder whether their firearm is duly registered with the state, or even legal in their local ordinance? Seems kind of silly. In the meantime, some conscientious citizens have turned in their firearms while others no longer carry them out of the house, or carry their handguns about in a locked case in their car (where they are about as useful a means for defense as butter for cutting granite). Clearly, the law is only a restriction upon those who obey it.
Another problem is deciding whether or not gun control laws are even, well, lawful. This is not as cut and dried ...
... middle of paper ...
...it is up to individuals to decide whether or not owning a gun for self-defense is the right choice in their life. It is a responsibility, and not to be taken lightly. All persons must decide this on their own, but no one should be able decide that it is the wrong choice for everybody else.
DeShaney v. Winnebago Cty. Soc. Servs. Dept., 489 U.S. 189, 196 (1989).
“Injury Prevention & Control: Data & Statistics (WISQARSTM).” CDC. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4 Mar. 2015. Web. 16 May 2015.
Lott, John R. Jr. More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-Control Laws, Third Edition (Studies in Law and Economics). Chicago: U of Chicago P, 2010. Print.
McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. ___ (2010). (slip op., 44).
Small Arms Survey. Small Arms Survey 2014: Guns and the City. Web. 16 May 2015.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Gun control is often considered as an effective means of protecting ordinary citizens. We all want to feel safe, and it's easy to ascribe notions of safety to the idea of gun control. Unfortunately, feeling safe and actually being safe can be very different things. Gun control sounds wonderful in theory: no guns means no shootings. If only it were that simple. When one considers some of the worst shootings and gun-related crimes in recent history, it's peculiar to realize how often these occurred in places where guns were illegal to carry or even own.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive, gun control]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- Americans are faced with a huge problem of violence in the streets, these streets have become a place where old people are beaten for their social security checks, where little women are attacked and raped, where teen aged thugs shoot it out for some turf to sell their illegal drugs, and finally where small children everyday are caught in the way of bullets during drive by shootings. We try to ignore the criminals in our society and how they hurt it, but we shouldn’t. We should take actions to stop these acts of crazy people.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1038 words (3 pages)
- America Does Not Need Gun Control There are presently in excess of 200 million guns in the United States, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Each year this number grows by 4 to 5 million. There are 60 to 65 million legal owners of one or more guns.1 There is a firearm on the premises of more than half the households in America. Most gun owners keep guns for protection. Others keep them for hunting, target shooting, collecting, and similar pursuits. In recent years nearly 35,000 people have been killed annually by guns in the United States. These deaths include 15,000 murders, 18,000 suicides, and 1,500 accidents.2 It is because of these statistics that many wou... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Essays]
1993 words (5.7 pages)
- America Doesn't Need Gun Control at Gun Shows Gun control has been a highly debated issue for several years. In the past this debate has led to the passage of gun control legislation, the most prominent bill being the Brady Bill. However, the national legislation concerning gun control only applies to licensed gun dealers. This has left a huge gun control loophole at the national level, because unlicensed dealers and private collectors are not required to conduct background checks on potential customers before selling them a weapon.... [tags: Constituton Bill Rights Right To Bear Arms]
1390 words (4 pages)
- Over the years, a great amount of effort and money has been spent on legislation regarding gun control. Gun control advocates maintained that increased gun control could reduce the soaring crime rates found in cities across America. However, most of the arguments used for gun control are the result of careful manipulation of data and emotional appeal. These “myths” are twisted by our liberal media until they are seen as the truth. However, despite the claims of gun control activists, gun control does not reduce crime, it only leaves law abiding citizens increasingly vulnerable to violent crime.... [tags: Argument Paper Argumentative]
2686 words (7.7 pages)
- ... Throughout most paragraphs, the text includes the persuasive technique of statistics, for example, “American's own an estimated 280 million guns” and “12,000 hand gun deaths... only 160 or so of these deaths have been in self defense.” These statistics persuade readers in a way where it gives the audience an idea of just how dangerous unrestrained and irresponsible gun control laws are, so that the audience agrees that America does in fact need to make the laws stricter. Connotations were also included in the text, but quite seldom.... [tags: control, laws, shot]
588 words (1.7 pages)
- Introduction When it comes to controversial topics in today’s society, there are so many that it can be difficult to be a straight shooter. Among all of them, however, debate over gun control has been prevalent for so long, it is something many people can easily set their sights on. It is an issue everybody should have an opinion on, as it is vastly important, potentially threatening, and all too present in modern society. Many find the mere concept of gun control invasive to their constitutional rights, while others see lack of gun control to be astoundingly dangerous and entirely chimerical.... [tags: gun control act, shooter, debate]
1906 words (5.4 pages)
- Gun crime in America has become a big issue. We are barraged by news outlets with story after story showing the wide use of guns in horrific and tragic crimes. These crimes all too often end in single if not multiple deaths. Politicians and law makers are constantly trying to find ways to reduce these crimes and keep the public safe. Unfortunately their ideas or methods involve some measure meant at reducing or eliminating the public’s access to guns. This method only infringes on the basic and most significant of all American rights, the right to keep and bear arms, as defined in the second amendment.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1750 words (5 pages)
- America has the highest amount of gun related deaths each year in the world. “In Germany 381, in France 255, in Canada 165 in the United Kingdom 68, in Australia 65, in Japan 39 and in the United States, 11,127” (Moore Michael, 51:15-51:48). Since the United States has the highest number of deaths, it is important to have gun-control laws that restrict people from owning dangerous firearms like machine guns. Gun-control laws should support both sides of the debate. Of course, both sides will not be completely happy with the laws created, but America should have a balance.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- Guns have been the weapon of choice for some of the most brutal massacres on America soil. Since early history guns have been used mainly for militia and defense purposes. But, the development of new gun technology has made firearms more accessible and deadly. Although the second amendment gives the right to bear arms, guns should be controlled and monitored by the government because guns have contributed to a lot of killings in America and will increase crime rates. Gun control can be defined as “the use of law to limit people's access to handguns, shotguns, rifles, and other firearms” ("Gun Control").... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
900 words (2.6 pages)