Social media creates communities. On websites such as Tumblr, people can talk and share things that interest them. Whether it be art, film, cartoons, or fashion, there is something that everyone can connect to on Tumblr. On Facebook, users can interact with other people they may or may not know in real life. It helps people communicate with family members or friends that they do not see on a regular basis and share the details of their life. Basically, social media lets us communicate. It lets us be part of something outside of our small social group in real life. According to Robin Dunbar of Oxford University, “The maximum number of friends any one person [can have]... is 150” (Henig and Henig 43). Instead of being limited to that small number, we can now expand our social network to include hundreds of people we never thought we could communicate with.
One reason social media has become so immensely popular is because it allows people to hide behind screens. You can say anything about yourself, or create an entirely different life. That is what happened to Yaniv “Nev” Schulman in the documentary Catfish. Through his photography, N...
... middle of paper ...
...forms of social media:
“A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.”
Burke, Timothy, and Jack Dickey. "Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking
And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax."Deadspin. 16
Jan. 2013. Web. 31 Mar. 2014.
Catfish. Dir. Ariel Schulman and Harry Joost. Perf. Yaniv Schulman. Universal Pictures, 2010. DVD.
Gertner, Jon. "The Futile Pursuit of Happiness." The New York Times Magazine 7 Sept. 2003: 45. Print.
Henig, Robin Marantz, and Samantha Henig. Newsweek 22 Oct. 201241: 41-43. Print.
Parker, Ian. "The Story of a Suicide." The New Yorker. Condé Nast, 2 Feb. 2012. Web. 31 Mar. 2014.
Steiner, Peter. "On The Internet, Nobody Knows You're a Dog." The New Yorker 5 July 1993: 61. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In , , authors first time proved the sufficient condition for 1-coverage imply to 1-connectivity: “for a set of sensors that at least 1-cover a convex region A, the communication graph is connected if Rc≥ 2Rs”. Based on this result, when we design a WSN system, we can focus on node deployment strategy and elimiate the connectivity problem by assuming the Rc≥ 2Rs. Zhang and Hou in  present a distributed Optimal Geographical Density Control (OGDC) scheme that considers the integrated combine coverage and connectivity problem.... [tags: Graph theory, Graph, Connected space, Green Day]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- This experiment on ball and beam was performed to understand how control systems work. The main aim of the experiment was to design a controller that could bring the ball to a steady position after an external disturbance was produced. Proportional Control, manual control and PD control were implemented in order to observe the behaviour of the system. During the observations it was observed that the most efficient control was the PD control with a high frequency integrating filter to cancel the noise produced by the differential gain.... [tags: control system,proportional control,ball and beam]
2108 words (6 pages)
- SCADA, or often referred as Process Control Systems (PCS) is interpreted as an overall collection of control systems that measures, reports, and changes processes SCADA is the acronym of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition, which is a communication technology scheme for collecting data from distant facilities and also controlling them on control systems. In the beginning SCADA system was locally introduced, and it has been applied to larger and wide-area systems as the information technology evolves.... [tags: SCADA, Process control, Security]
1781 words (5.1 pages)
- Sean Godsell’s career as an architect has been inspired by his interest in Asian architecture and it’s geographical immediacy to Australia, in particular the use of spatial devices within a structure. He talks of 'the connected plan', an interior that can be divided, traversed, or opened up at will. (INTEXT REF) This topic discussed in detail throughout the essay. When studying both localized and regionalist approaches to design it is clear that Godsell has taken on board all areas of this topic and his broad oeuvre represents this.... [tags: Architecture Approaches, Sean Godsell]
1961 words (5.6 pages)
- Sleep and mood are closely connected. No matter your age, getting the right amount of sleep increases your productivity. People know that when they get a good night’s sleep, they feel better and awful when they don’t. Sleeping improves your insight, learning and memory. It is extremely essential for a person’s health and wellbeing. Lack of sleep has many negative effects, on one 's mood. “A recent survey found that more people are sleeping less than six hours a night, and sleep difficulties visit 75% of us, at least a few nights per week” (Harvard Health Publications).... [tags: Sleep, Sleep deprivation, Immune system]
1394 words (4 pages)
- In the 1450s, a German goldsmith named Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press, which revolutionized the world of publishing (The Printing Press, 2005). Since then, hundreds of word processing programs have been developed, along with thousands of new fonts, from Times New Roman to Comic Sans. Marketing professionals and scientists around the world have wondered what kinds of fonts stick in a person’s memory over others (Dizikes, 2013). The concepts of how memory functions, how the brain processes information and how font and memory are connected in psychology are essential to better understand this idea.... [tags: nervous system, wordprocessing, hippocampus]
610 words (1.7 pages)
- Remote Control Software Used in a Local Area Network Introduction Remote control software can solve many of the problems that an administrator or user can encounter on a local area network. Using a remote-control program, one can access a PC remotely to exchange files between systems, run applications, take control of a client PC or server in order to troubleshoot a problem, and much more. Remote-control software is an application that you install on two PCs that permits one system (the guest) to connect with and control another (the host).... [tags: Remote Control Software Technology Essays]
8706 words (24.9 pages)
- A new business venture you would like to start. Entrepreneurship is more than the formation of a business and the riches connected with it. It is centered on the formation of another venture that serves society and rolls out a positive improvement. Business people can make incredible firms that show execution, authority, notoriety, and life span. Illustrations of new undertakings that have made a noteworthy commitment to life in our day are given Franchising has developed throughout the years as a prevalent type of dispatching into an entrepreneurial endeavor .... [tags: Franchising, Business model, Marketing, Coffee]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Power saving has been a big concern and has acquired an even more worrying avatar in recent years. In this paper, energy management technique based on set of sensors is presented that can be adapted according to the behavior of the habitant. The purpose this paper is to design a bidirectional visitor counter along with RF based power saving system. The system consists of a programmable microcontroller along with motion sensors to detect human presence. Here we describe an RF based power system using AVR microcontroller.... [tags: power saving,avr microcontroller, power control]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- Human Beings and Their Control Over Nature in the Twentieth Century Throughout the history of western civilization, the human race has had a continuing relationship with nature and the environment. Progress has improved the way in which human beings use natural resources and the ways in which they work together to improve the quality of life. Developments in science and technology of the twentieth-century have greatly improved the way that humans interact. As the technological advancements of the twentieth-century progressed from the discovery of vaccinations to computer age technology, humans have learned to take a considerable amount of control over their lives and the environment a... [tags: Human Nature Control Essays]
1744 words (5 pages)