Over the last couple of years, scientists have discovered the alarming environmental damages that result with the use of traditional fossil fuels. Not only are fossil fuels a threat to the environment, but they are also an expensive source of energy that is being used up very quickly with such high consumption rates. As a result, scientists are currently developing cheaper renewable sources that can be used as alternative sources of energy. Among the several alternative sources of energy that scientists have developed is wind energy.
Wind energy is an alternative source of energy that can be used for various purposes. Wind turbines are used in the conversion of wind energy into electricity. The wind turbines are composed of three blades called a rotor, which is attached to a tall tower about 30 meters high. The towers are at a tall height in which there are strong winds. The winds cause the rotors to spin and the movement of the blades spinning gives power to a generator, which produces kinetic energy that is converted to electricity. (This process can be seen in the diagram below). As well as supplying electricity for buildings such as houses, schools, businesses, etc., wind energy is often used in farms to pump water and grind grain.
Wind energy is a renewable source of energy that is generated by the wind. Winds are caused by the uneven heating of the Earth’s atmosphere by the sun, which results in a current of air moving from warmer to cooler temperatures. These winds are responsible for spinning the rotors of wind turbines, which ultimately produce kinetic energy that is converted into electricity. Therefore, wind energy depends solely on the wind and can easily be renewed with ...
... middle of paper ...
Although wind energy and fossil fuels are both sources of energy that result in the production of electricity, they have very distinct characteristics. When comparing the two, they both have advantages as well as disadvantages, but the advantages of wind energy clearly outweigh those of fossil fuels, making it a more efficient source of energy. Wind energy produces electricity in a way that does not harm the environment and helps prevent air pollution of the toxic gases that fossil fuels are responsible for releasing. Also, wind energy is a renewable source of energy that can easily be created, whereas, fossil fuels are a nonrenewable source of energy that take millions of years to form. However, wind turbine systems require thousands of dollars to be installed and large open areas, but overall are more effective sources of energy than fossil fuels.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... At 100 feet (30 meters) or more aboveground, they can take advantage of the faster and less turbulent wind. Turbines catch the wind's energy with their propeller-like blades. Usually, two or three blades are mounted on a shaft to form a rotor. (renewableenergy.com) Wind power has become affordable enough to compete with fossil fuels. Around the world utility services are offering wind-generated electricity at a premium of 2 to 3 cents per kWh. A household that uses wind power for a quarter of its electrical needs, the cost would only be $4 or $5 dollars per month for it and the price is still dropping.... [tags: wind turbines, sources of energy]
630 words (1.8 pages)
- Wind Power as an Alternate Energy Source Graphics not Included ABSTRACT The United States' main source of energy is currently fossil fuels. However, we know that fossil fuel supply continues to deplete and sooner or later, the United States will need to resort to a new source of energy. This report hopes to explore the advantages and disadvantages of wind power using model regions. These regions have experience in using wind power, which may help us determine whether or not it is a suitable source of energy when fossil fuels are completely drained.... [tags: Energy Power Global Warming]
2003 words (5.7 pages)
- Many people today are spending quantities of money for the electric bill without knowing that their hurting their wallet and their environment. It harms the environment because the fuel you receive in your electric bill is called traditional, which is made of fossil fuels. These fossil fuels create pollution in the air affecting our ozone layer. A solution for this problem would be to leave the traditional fuel and enter to the new world of alternative energy. My alternative energy is wind energy which is caused by wind turbines or windmills.... [tags: clean power production, renewable resources]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- Wind - A Renewable Energy Source Wind is called a renewable energy source because wind will continually be produced as long as the sun shines on the earth. The sun’s contribution to wind energy deals with converting air into heat or cool wind. Wind is produced by the irregular heating of the earth’s surface by the sun. On land, the warm air spreads and goes up in the sky, in the water, heavier and cooler air moves in to take the warm air’s place, thus providing local winds. This power source should be used more often in the United States for its safer standards regarding the environment and finance.... [tags: Alternative Energy Research Papers]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- With every passing day our planet is slowly becoming contaminated by the fuels we use and the green house gases they emit. This damage can never be reversed and will continue to harm our planet; however there are many systems of alternative energy that could be implemented in order to reduce this damage. This is why I believe that our government should endorse alternative energy and set regulations in order to promote the use of alternative energy. Wind energy is a current source for alternative energy.... [tags: Alternative Energy]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
- 333745 Alternative Energy “If we put all our energy and resources into continued fossil fuel extraction, we will have lost an opportunity to have invested in renewable energy.” ( David Suzuki ) The past few decades, alternative energy has increasingly replaced the utilization of fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are composed from decayed plants and animals that are converted to crude oil, coal, and natural gas. As a source of energy fossil fuels are finite and have many negative side-effects, some of which include: incremented levels of carbon dioxide, output of toxic substances, heat-trapping gases that cause global warming, and by-prod... [tags: Wind power, Energy development, Fossil fuel]
1046 words (3 pages)
- 333745 Alternative Energy “If we put all our energy and resources into continued fossil fuel extraction, we will have lost an opportunity to have invested in renewable energy.” ( David Suzuki ) The past few decades, alternative energy has increasingly replaced the utilization of fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are composed from decayed plants and animals that are converted to crude oil, coal, and natural gas. As a source of energy fossil fuels are finite and have many negative side-effects, some of which include: incremented levels of carbon dioxide, output of toxic substances, heat-trapping gases that cause global warming, and by-products that pollute water-supply.... [tags: Wind power, Energy development, Fossil fuel]
1046 words (3 pages)
- Alternative energy sources are renewable, and is most commonly referred to as free energy sources. There are many alternative energy sources such as hydro power, solar power, wind, biomass, and geothermal. Using alternative sources is more expensive in the long run, but it is the much safer option for our environment compared to fossil fuels. Although everything used is completely free, such as water and wind, the equipment used to generate these things are expensive. There are several pros and cons that come with the utilization of alternative energy sources.... [tags: Fossil fuel, Energy development, Wind power]
1058 words (3 pages)
- There are many types of Alternative Energy Sources. The different energy sources are hydro and solar power, wind, biomass and geothermal energy. Throughout the world people don’t recognize that we use every these energy sources day for our own personal use. The energy sources are not only free but they are also renewable. It is a little more costly to use these energy sources, but going green is what’s best for our environment. Using these alternative sources will create fresher air, eliminate over half of the pollution caused by fossil fuels, and protect our earth a lot longer.... [tags: Fossil fuel, Wind power, Solar energy]
1063 words (3 pages)
- Wind Power- the Future Energy Source Abstract: We are facing an energy crisis on Earth. Burning fossil fuels are harming the atmosphere; this global warming and affects produces chemicals that hurt our body. People are starting to think about using alternative energy. Wind power would be our first choice, because it’s clean, inexhaustible and renewable. Today, wind power is mainly used in Europe. We believed wind power would be the main source of alternative energy for world use. Introduction: Since 400-500A.D, people used windmill energy in farms for grain grinding and water pumping.... [tags: Energy Power Global Warming]
832 words (2.4 pages)