I hear seagulls crying, children laughing, waves crashing; I smell the dead fish, rotting seaweed, and tangy salt air; I taste sprayable sunscreen in my mouth, salt on my lips; I feel the sun beating down on my skin, the sand squirming beneath my feet, and the water tickling my toes as it laps at the beach. Looking left and right, there are families enjoying the fresh air and camaraderie of a vacation. In front of me-- constantly moving with white caps breaching the crests of the waves-- is the ocean. Splashing into the water, I dive beneath the surface and it suddenly goes silent. No laughter, cries, waves, just rushing water. I swim below the surface as if I have a mermaid tail. My need for air diminishes as explore further and further out towards the reef. Taking in the beauty, my excitement builds as I see the bright, vibrant colors-- orange, pink, green, yellow-- of the coral. Off to my right, I hear a chattering sound. Turning toward the sound, I see a sleek, gray blur. Suddenly, my heart races, pulse quickens, mouth turns dry; fear courses through my veins as I desperately try to swim away from the moving shape. My muscles do not move, I freeze on the spot as the creature deftly slices through the water in my direction. Scared beyond mea...
... middle of paper ...
...and how many people can potentially be affected. While anyone can experience hypnosis, it does not entirely have the ability to force people to act against their will in extreme situations, nor can hypnosis enhance the recall of forgotten events. As stated by Spiegel, hypnosis can relieve pain but it is unable to increase memory skills. One thing hypnotists must be careful of is betraying a client’s secrets or ideals. Both parties should agree to the intentions of the hypnotic session and adhere to that consent. In one case, according to the article, a client felt betrayed because he shook hands with someone else despite being a germaphobe for eight years. After reviewing the clip, the man, Mandel, was not thrilled with his actions. While hypnosis is a potential, groundbreaking, psychological finding, it can also be dangerous and invasive to personal space and beliefs
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dreams Do Come True In sixth grade I remember when Mrs. Applewood made us write down one goal that we wanted to achieve. I quickly placed my freshly sharpened number 2 pencil on the blank, white sheet of paper and wrote down five, simple words- to be a state champion. As a little girl I had a lot of wants and dreams. I wanted my daddy to coach my sixth grade team, I wanted to win a state championship, and I dreamed of playing college basketball somewhere. I was 12 years old when my daddy, Sean, coached myself and six other determined, dedicated girls to a Little League National Championship.... [tags: college basketball career]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Another rainy day here in this town. Looks like it resembles the way that I am feeling inside.After that awful day, I dare to remember, we had seen nothing but rain. Sometimes I feel that outside is not raining at all but my eyes full of tears make it look like this. I have heard people say after every rain there comes a rainbow. I wonder when my rainbow is going to show up and shine. I honestly hope that all this is a nightmare and as soon as somebody will wake me up everything will go back to the way it was before.... [tags: short story]
2663 words (7.6 pages)
- Many people have dreams. Not everyone gets to achieve their dreams. Those who do, though, have their ways of doing it. Joe Slowinski was a determined herpetologist that started at an early age. He and his family took a trip to Kyoko, Japan where he would spend all day looking for interesting creatures to bring home or creatures that just interested him in general. He was interested in the koi ponds in particular. He saw one, and his "go get 'em" attitude would stop at nothing until he did.... [tags: devotion, inspiration, communities]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- Disney, Where (Animal) Dreams Come True. The Shelter Project’s newest advertisement “Disney Palace Pets” has looked to grab the attention of those in the market to adopt a pet by using everyone’s favorite Disney Princesses. The inviting advertisement also hopes that it will lead people’s attention into making their shelters the first place one would go if they were looking to adopt a cat or dog. The video incorporates Cinderella, Tiana, Belle, and Ariel to display a message that through adoption not only will you find beauty where you never thought you would, but you will also find a pet that will suit your family perfectly.... [tags: Disney Princess, The Princess and the Frog, Dog]
1172 words (3.3 pages)
- I am happy to inform you that America is witnessing a dream come true. Your inspiring speech on 28 August 1963 has remained dear at our hearts and inspired us to work hard to realize it. It is approximately fifty years ago when you and another quarter million people matched to the national museum in Washington, when you shared the dream of America. We commemorate your words that have shaped the future of America. I am pleased to bring you up to speed of the events and achievements America has witnessed.... [tags: Fair Minimum Wage, I Have a Dream, racism]
1526 words (4.4 pages)
- Making Dreams Come True “What do you want to be when you grow up,” asked the second grade teacher. Little boys and girls raised their hands with enthusiasm and responded with, “ballerina, football player, princess, race car driver” as the teacher wrote the dreams on the board. One little girl in the middle of the room had different dreams: she said, “I want to be a teacher when I grow up!” I was that little girl. When I was eight years old, I realized what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.... [tags: Teaching Education Careers Teachers Essays]
1541 words (4.4 pages)
- Dreams Do Come True Dreams do come true. Everyone in their life has a dream or two or three. Finding the way to achieve your dreams, goals, and aspirations is an epic journey on its own. It takes discipline, determination, and self -exploration. This is the tale of the journey I am still currently on. As a child I always wanted to be in the spotlight. I was always the ham in family pictures, the one who had to excel past my brother, and be in the know of everything. When I was about twelve years old, I realized that entertaining people was what I was all about.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- Dreams Can Come True “I think my passion for [flying] started when I was in high school”, Gary Chambers told me as I sat down in his beautiful home in the hills of Serrano, a very upscale, gated community in El Dorado Hills, California. He was wearing a tropical shirt and bahama shorts with a pair of Teva sandals on his feet. He offered me a soda and then sat down across from me. We were sitting in matching black leather love seats with a tan and gray granite coffee table separating us. Despite the fact that he agreed to the interview and seemed eager to talk to me, he seemed uncomfortable during our conversation.... [tags: essays research papers]
1346 words (3.8 pages)
- “Dreams may not always come true, but they make life worthwhile.” Dreams are a part of everybody’s life, this term dream is widely used to express mental images of something we may want, or something we whish we where. Dreams usually are seen as false, or just a child’s thing however this is seen mainly as the dreams conflict with reality. Many films of the post-modernism era can be seen that you would have the stereotypical way of someone wishing for something and it comes true. Even so Dreams are worthwhile and this will be shown below: In the book looking for Alibrandi we see a typical year 12, student whom has never seen her father in her life and has always had the life long dream of... [tags: essays research papers]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- “Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness…” are the famous words every American hears throughout their lifetime. These words are part of America’s history through the Declaration of Independence, America is the only country where the “pursuit of happiness” is actually guaranteed in writing. What exactly are the “pursuit of happiness,” and the “American Dream?” As defined by most writers, such as Hemmingway, it’s becoming rich young and having the opportunity and will to do what you please with your wealth.... [tags: Essays on the American Dream]
512 words (1.5 pages)
- The President Of The United States
- General Education Requirements Should Be Mandatory For All College Students
- The Day Of The Season - Original Writing
- Animal Lives That Exhibit High Level Intellectual Capabilities Are No Less Valuable Than Those Of Humans
- Analysis Of Oscar Wilde 's ' An Old Saying '
- The Biblical Aspect Of Creation