Honors Math II
Honors Paper on Alex Grothendiek
As stated in the book, “A Strange Wilderness” Alex Grothendieck was born on March 28, 1928 in Berlin, Germany. He was one of the famous mathematicians born in the 20th century. Alex began to love mathematics in 1942, when he attended a secondary school in Chambon, France. When World War II ended, he went to University of Montpellier, wanting to continue his fascination with math and become a mathematics teacher. He received a scholarship after three years in 1948 and moved to Paris, to the University of Nancy and worked on functional analysis. In 1957, he began to work on algebraic geometry and simple algebra. (The Famous People)
The Institute of Advanced Scientific studies in France hired Alex to organize seminars and teach young adults. In 1960, he visited The University of Kansas to start working on geometry and topology. After working at the University of Kansas, he transferred to IHES, and this was known as his Golden Age because during that time, Alex Grothendieck had made it the epicenter of algebraic geometry. Many concepts were named after him, such as Grothendieck topology and the Grothendieck universe. His career was spent twelve years at IHES and during the time, he married a woman named Mireille Dufour and had three children. He wouldn’t allow his children to attend school and get an education because he had a strong belief that people needed to find their own way was more important that going to school. He traveled a lot of Eastern University to give speeches. (The Famous People website)
In the early years of Alex Grothendieck, he experienced quite a few problems. He was born out of wedlock to a Jewish father and a protestant mother. While ...
... middle of paper ...
...ork: Sterling, 2011. N. pag. Print.
3.) "Alexandre Grothendieck: Astrology and Horoscope." Astrology: Alexandre Grothendieck, Date of Birth: 1928/03/28, Horoscope, Birth Chart, Astrological Portrait, Biography. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2013.
4.) "Alexandre Grothendieck (French Mathematician)." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 13 Dec. 2013.
5.) "The Amazing, Incredible Life of the Mathematician, Alexander Grothendieck." The Amazing, Incredible Life of the Mathematician, Alexander Grothendieck. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2013.
6.) "Alexander Grothendieck." Alexander Grothendieck. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A learning disability is a condition in which a student has a dysfunction in processing information typically found in language-based activities, resulting in interference with learning (Friend, 2014, p.531). According to IDEA, a student must meet specific criteria in order to be identified as having specific learning disabilities. In this paper I will state which criteria according to IDEA specifically qualifies the student as having a learning disability, identify what assessments could be used to also determine whether the student has a learning disability, and lastly I will identify if the student has a learning disability.... [tags: Alex Case Study]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- French social philosopher, Alex de Tocqueville (1805-1889), once said, “However energetically society in general may strive to make all citizens equal and alike, the personal pride of each individual will always make him try to escape from the common level, and he will form some inequality somewhere to his own profit.” Through the ages, income inequality has caused class conflict, created political systems (communism), and has simultaneously promoted vast increases in wealth and technological advances.... [tags: Alex de Tocqueville, Inequality, USA]
2380 words (6.8 pages)
- Stable Meaning, the Perversion of Nature, and Discursive Communities in Alex La Guma's "The Lemon Orchard" South African writer Alex La Guma was an active member of his country's non-white liberation movement. One of the 156 people accused in the Treason Trial of 1956, La Guma wrote his first book, A Walk in the Night and Other Stories, in 1962 (Wade 15). "The Lemon Orchard," a story which appeared in this debut work, is a gripping piece about the horror and cruelty of racism. In the story, La Guma describes in chilling detail how a black teacher (who had sought legal redress for being beaten up by his principal and church minister) is roused from his sleep and led to a lemon orchard b... [tags: Alex La Guma Lemon Orchard]
5282 words (15.1 pages)
- She wasn’t anything special. She hadn’t achieved anything, nobody loved her, she had nothing to lose. He, however, was the opposite. They were 14 when he first saw her. Alex was handsome, with bright blue eyes and blonde hair, which was perfectly styled. All of the girls in his year at school were lining up to be his girlfriend, all of them, except her. She was different, and it was that that drew him to her. Wherever she went, she always left a scent of mystery behind her. Nobody else seemed to notice her milky white skin, or her hair as black as a raven’s.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
508 words (1.5 pages)
- A strong and compelling theme within the film is dominance; dominance within the characters, as well as the interior spaces throughout the film. The design of the space has the aesthetic sensibilities of mayhem. Alex is the personification of dominance, like a warrior king, he takes what he wants in the spoils of victory, from the bodies of conquered women to the riches of modern nations and the status that goes along with it. In the opening scene of the film, as the camera tracks backwards, the widening perspective shows with bizarre imagery what the theme of the first fifteen minutes is going to be.... [tags: Movie Review, Film Review]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Alex has a brother, Rio Cardinal. Alex and Rio grew up in NY. Alex is a PI and she has been to Chicago, NY, LA, Quad Cities, ect. for investigation work. Rio spent most of his time in a University back home in NY to get his doc. degree in med. He is a newly employed Doctor. Rio is very kind and is all for helping people and saving lives no matter the cost. He is good friends with one of his coworkers who actually is a vampire, Michael Lorelei. Michael Lorelei has been working in that hospital for x years, he is “legally blind” for anyone who asks too many questions.... [tags: Death, Vampire, Blood, Serial killer]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- Leaving Home “Alex… Alex… Isaac Alexander Hamilton. Get your butt down here right this instance!” “Agh but mom.” Alex grumbled, turned over in bed and slammed the pillow over his head. “No buts. We still have so much to do, and many miles ahead of us. You know this is the day that will change all of our lives forever.” Oh how right she will ever be. A lex was nuzzled in his comfy twin bed with his leg hanging out of his red and blue superman sheets. He rolled over on his back, and pressed his soft blue pillow over his eyes to shield them from the morning sun that pierced through the partially raised window blinds.... [tags: Family, Father, Mother, Eye color]
1760 words (5 pages)
- Biography of Alex Haley Alex Haley’s was born Alex Murray Palmer Haley on August 11, 1921, in Ithaca, New York. Alex’s parents were Simon and Bertha Haley. His father was a World War I veteran and also a graduate student of agriculture from Cornell University. His mother was a school teacher. For the first five years of Alex’s life, he lived with his mother and grandparents in rural Henning, Tennessee while his father finished his degree in agriculture. Alex always said that he was very proud of his father.... [tags: Roots: The Saga of an American Family]
602 words (1.7 pages)
- As a kid he was the one who decided what the teams would be at lunchtime and even as a young Scottish player he would help his coaches with team management. Through his early years people were aware of what he was capable of in the future by the way he studied tactics and formations. Sir Alex Ferguson was the most important man in football for the past 25 years. In result of all his qualifications through the years, Sir Alex began to gather his thoughts for his own book. After all of his achievements, and the brilliance of the football teams he created over 27 years at Old Trafford, Alex put together a 402-page continuation of the Ferguson life story.... [tags: biography, football]
1183 words (3.4 pages)
- Alex Hailey Journalist, writer. Alexander Murray Palmer Haley was born in Ithaca, New York, on August 11, 1921. He grew up in Henning, Tennessee, and graduated from high school at age 15. Haley studied at State Teachers College in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, for two years, and joined the Coast Guard in 1939. He started out as a mess attendant, Third Class, and in 1952 became the first to hold the title of Coast Guard Journalist. Haley’s friends quickly discovered his writing talent and began requesting his help when writing their own love letters.... [tags: Biography Biographies]
356 words (1 pages)