Terrorism, terror lies within the word itself, with Latin roots that define it as fright. Terrorism, the practice of creating unrest in a group of people or society to physically hurt or to psychologically impair groups of people and individuals in order to gain control, create fear and, or, intimidate society. Domestic terrorism has been used as a tactic in battles and wars, but has only increased within the last decade and has become an issue of concern across nations worldwide. After the attacks of September 11, 2001 on U.S. soil, the nation called for higher airport security in an expedited manner to better secure its borders and infrastructure from further attacks
In the United States when the word terrorism comes to mind one of the first thoughts that arises is Islamic extremism. An issue in particular that has risen concern across nations, including the United States, is airport security. Airport security was once primarily, like border security, a concern for illegal immigrants coming into the United States. Although immigration still remains an issue, airport security and air travel has, because of terrorism, become more vigilant. Today, after Al-Qaeda’s terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City on September 11, airport and air travel security is a top priority outside and within the borders of the United States.
The attacks of 9/11 were unique in the sense the attacks were of such a large scale killing thousands and injuring thousands more. Before 9/11, the World Trade Center had previously been attacked in 1993 by a group of organized terrorist aiming to take down the North Tower with a car-bomb, ultimately, blowing out the foundat...
... middle of paper ...
...nse of trust and have second thoughts about the nation’s own security.
Deemed as strict and invasive, the new airport and air travel guidelines are the result of terroristic acts by extremist that infringe the lives and rights of the American society. Airport security had not been at the top of the nation’s agenda up to the attacks on the World Trade Center. Terrorism has been on the rise in the past decade and reached a peak when approximately 3,000 American lives were lost on American soil in 2001. Shortly after, airports nationwide were shut down and in the weeks and months to follow stricter boarding guidelines and identification checks began to be implemented across the board, new technology was introduced onto airplanes and pilots’ cabins, the Department of Homeland Security was created, a war on terrorism was launched and a mourning nation aimed to rebuild.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One of the things that is now top priority for organizations is to have a cyber security policy in place. It is estimated that over $400 billion dollars is lost per year due to cybercrimes. In this paper, I am dealing with a hypothetical law firm that is focused on logical security techniques that will help keep their data safe. I will be creating an information cyber-security policy that will include roles and responsibilities along with a cyber-security policy statement. I will also describe the type of security testing methodology I will utilize to assess the technical controls.... [tags: Computer security, Security, Information security]
941 words (2.7 pages)
- Cyber Security has become a top priority for many companies, organizations, and governments. Barrack Obama, the president of the United States, is quoted as saying the “cyber threat is one of the most serious economic and national security challenges we face as a nation. America’s economic prosperity in the 21st century will depend on cyber security” (The White House - President Barack Obama). Companies such as Lockheed Martin, Google, and Wal-Mart have spent in the billions to harden their cyber barriers.... [tags: SQL, Database]
1432 words (4.1 pages)
- Impact of Convergence in Security In today’s world of security many distinct measures exist in the vast umbrella of protection needed to keep a country safe from destruction. Since September 11, 2001 protection of personnel and property are a top priority for America. It takes numerous variables and different approaches in security being utilized to prevent such attacks from ever happening again. Physical Security and Information Technology (IT) Security will be the focus in order to grasp just how important these methods are.... [tags: Security, Physical security, Security guard]
1973 words (5.6 pages)
- In the past few decades, there have been various terrorist attacks throughout the world. Most importantly, countless acts of terrorism have been committed in the United States of America, that have gradually influenced the way the American security system and security at public buildings, public places, are run. Because of this act of terror, the American government has made protecting its citizens and country a top priority. These attacks, and the nation's response to them security-wise, still affect American's lives today physically and emotionally.... [tags: homeland security affairs]
835 words (2.4 pages)
- In this day of hacker, where personal online information of any regular citizen is unsafe, your company 's online presence is of maximum consideration regarding security. May it be an online start-up, an opening of a company website or an online database, the safety of your venture demands uttermost urgency. If the simple idea of online security isn 't enough to convince you in securing your company 's online existence, reckon the financial and reputational disasters that major companies have faced from security hacks in recent years.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Internet]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- System security plans are documented and all policies are a shared vision so that an effective dialogue with all stakeholders can be started and all inputs and outputs are assessed as one combined unit with the intent of achieving maximum effectiveness. The plan is reviewed and assessed periodically to maintain a high state of system security. Personnel security is separated based on assigned duties and the sensitivity of data. Portals have been implemented to quickly aggregate information based on assigned positions and responsibilities.... [tags: Computer security, Security, Authentication]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- Homeland Security When we pause to think about all that has happened in years past, we truly are lucky. The purpose of this paper is to define and give detailed information about Homeland Security in the United States. I hope to inform people as to why we constantly live in fear. I will give detailed information about what the government is doing to solve this problem. Also I will give possible solutions to our current predicament, based on extensive research and knowledge. Homeland Security is a relatively new agency that was created by the president, because of the terrorist attacks on America.... [tags: Terrorist Attacks Terrorism]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Delegation from Represented by Russian Federation Palm Beach State College Position Paper for the Security Council The topics before the Security Council are: The Situation in Iraq; Measures to Combat Terrorism in Africa; and Maintenance of International Peace and Security: Security Sector Reform. The Russian Federation recognizes sovereignty and multilateralism as fundamental pillars for the peaceful and respectful coexistence among all members of the international community. We look forward to working with other delegations in order to achieve best results in our common endeavors.... [tags: United Nations, United Nations Security Council]
1280 words (3.7 pages)
- Network Security Installing firewall or anti-virus software on enterprise workstations can help prevent some of the security problems the Internet can cause; but not everything. By understanding the different Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) levels and security threats involved with each one of them, it is easier to plan a strategy to combat security problems. Purpose and Scope To cover all areas I have listed the network security measures that are associated with each level of the Open Systems Interconnect (OSI).... [tags: Security Network Technology]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- Ethics of Full Disclosure of Security Holes Introduction Security breaches are making big headlines nowadays, and Microsoft is leading the charge. Its flagship operating systems and office suite are so bulky and complex, that it is impossible to be bug-free. The system administrators (the white hats) are up to their noses plugging all the holes from super hackers (the black hats). Yet they are also facing attack from another front – those that post vulnerabilities on the internet (the gray hats).... [tags: Hackers Internet Computers Essays]
2901 words (8.3 pages)