After my childhood experiences in Pakistan, I jumped at the opportunity to work in rural healthcare facilities in Peru. Volunteering in Peru introduced me to an entirely new set of healthcare challenges...
... middle of paper ...
...and my horizons, I pursued a minor in chemistry, a subject I initially struggled with. Merging my fascination with human anatomy and photography, I pursued several artistic endeavors during college as well. I focused on the notion of body image and explored its impact on women, and in the process I came to relinquish some of my own insecurities.
Throughout my life, I have strived to learn and grow from all my experiences. While my eight year old self would never have guessed that I would pursue a career in medicine, my grandma’s words still hold true today—I am very fortunate. Fortunate to have experienced the many facets of medicine, and to realize that becoming a physician is my true passion in life. A passion that I know will enable me to become a physician who communicates with her patients, and through communication, provides compassionate and attentive care.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. INTRODUCTION Today, thanks to the advancement in the field of electronics, most of the manually controlled systems are getting replaced with sophisticated electronic circuits with intelligent controlls. These circuits are capable of monitoring, analyzing and controlling the systems. In earlier days these electronic circuits were fabricated around discrete hardware components such as transistors, logic ICs etc that made the system bulky and costly. Also since the component count was more the failure rate was also more.... [tags: essays research papers]
1796 words (5.1 pages)
- Searching for an air conditioned computer lab on the first floor of SE6 revealed more to me than I thought it would. A BCIT custodial worker was fumbling with a door, his keys, and a large bag of trash while muttering profanities under his breath. It was obvious he was frustrated. While walking down the stairs in SW3 at the end of the day, I witnessed the evening cleaning staff preparing for their shift. Two workers were gathering their cleaning supplies and quite cheerfully talking and smiling to each other.... [tags: Socialism, Karl Marx, Employment, Minimum wage]
2043 words (5.8 pages)
- The Federal Aviation Administration Should Not Shut Down Small Airport Air Traffic Control Towers The Federal Aviation Administration was created August 23, 1958 to help increase air travel safety, as well as make a more efficient airspace (Mission). In the ten years after the Federal Aviation Administration started recording crashes, there were 183 crashes (Canavan). The crash percentage, the number of crashes divided by the number of flights, was .00125% (Accident and Incident Data). In the last ten years there were forty seven accidents and incidents (Canavan).... [tags: pilot, air travel, safety]
2288 words (6.5 pages)
- A Walk in the Park My father and I were resting comfortably on our downstairs sofa riveted to the T.V. The climax of the latest Star Trek episode was just beginning to unfold. As the show cut for a commercial break my father turned to me and asked if I had removed the air conditioner from my upstairs, bedroom window. In our house I had a fall ritual involving air conditioning unit removal from the window and subsequent storage of said monstrosity in the closet. My younger brother, a hulking high school football linebacker, had a corresponding ritual of placing the air conditioning unit in the window the following spring.... [tags: Example Personal Narratives]
620 words (1.8 pages)
- Witchcraft burned tens of thousands of people in the Middle Ages. Just in Salem, Massachusetts, the citizens accused over one hundred and fifty people of witchcraft. As a result of these accusations, the court hanged twenty of these supposed witches. How much evidence was there to convict the supposed witches. Not enough to select death as the punishment. However, the court sentenced the accused to be hanged if they did not confess which causes another problem: why hang when one could confess to a lie and live.... [tags: Salem witch trials, Witchcraft, Salem]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- ... Furthermore, soil and water are to some extent interchangeable with each other. They are both fundamental to the environment. Due to the fact that acid rain is acidic when it descends into a large body of water it then makes it acidic as well. The normal pH of lakes and streams for instance, is between six and eight and when acid rain merges with water it begins to lower its pH level (What Is Acid Rain). To retrieve its normal pH level is quite burdensome, but it can be obtained. The method of recouping its pH level is by a process of “buffering capacity” which requires soil to neutralize its pH levels (What Is Acid Rain).... [tags: air quality, pollution ]
1755 words (5 pages)
- As a self-proclaimed catalyst for change, Shirley Chisholm broke down barriers within the American political system. Only seven years after the passage of the Voting Rights Act, Chisholm entered the 1972 presidential race as a candidate for the Democratic Party. This timing made her the first woman to run for the Democratic nomination, as well as the first African American to run for the presidency. Chisholm sought to break down the American presidency – an office traditionally held by white, privileged men.... [tags: President of the United States, Barack Obama]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- The rise of media in our society has many effects on the consumers of the media. Many people propose the question: is this media making us dumber. Today there are a lot more forms of media available to people today. Through the media outlets of television and news, internet and user-generated content, and social media, people have many options as to where they receive their media. As a whole, the mass media dumbs down society, through their attempt to keep up with the changing of times and reach large masses of people.... [tags: The Dumbing Down of America]
2082 words (5.9 pages)
- When most people think about what is wrong with the environment, they can think of many things wrong with it. The amount of pollution that has either enter the air, land, or the ground. The amount of pollution within the air has been constantly been caused by humans doing a lot of activities that release a lot of carbon emissions. Activities such as deforestation of trees, the uses of automotive cars, and factories producing so much smog on a daily basis. With all of these activities, much of the air quality is poor and can cause many health problems for humans.... [tags: Air pollution]
1742 words (5 pages)
- “You lied to me!” The harsh accusation echoes off the walls of the desolate interrogation room. A solitary man spews similar vitriol against his situation. Metal chains rattle as he attempts to gesticulate wildly. The handcuffs attaching him to the desk prohibit his range of motion. Outside the door, two police officers confer amusedly. “I’ve seen it all Jim,” the older remarks to his younger partner. Jim’s face contorts into a furled brow of questions. The older officer laughs. “I never thought I’d see the day when a sociopath accuses me of breaking a basic moral code.” Turbulent events rocked the foundation of Greece during the fifth century.... [tags: Plato, Philosophy, Socrates, Truth]
1282 words (3.7 pages)