Researchers have based their studies on the process of aging, the aged and the many facets that affect this group. The following three studies are just a glimpse into the different types of research that has been conducted.
a-Lovell and colleagues (2010) directed an organized study of muscle building exercise. The subjects were healthy men whose ages ranged from 70 to 80 years old. The training consisted of 30-45 minutes of exercise, three times a week for four months. Afterward, there was to be no training for a period of four weeks. There was significant strength and muscle mass, however, after no training the gains in strength were quickly lost.
b- John Wheeler (2003)-studied women who had heart disease and were either age sixty or older. During this study ...
... middle of paper ...
...acy scores performed better on all measures of cognition…and was consistent across different subgroups of the cohort” ( Barnes, et. al 2003 ) Using diagrams, test scores and linear associations,researchers were able to discern that reading and writing could quite possibly enhance the network of neurons, of which may allow older adults who have a higher level of literacy to have greater cognitive access and be better able to process cognitive data.
It was evident to the researchers that education and or literacy is associated with cognitive function in the well-educated, higher socioeconomic elderly white community.There are many studies in process that can determine if any type of medical, social or educational interventions would be factors in improving the lifetime literacy of older adults which in turn may help to prevent cognitive decline with age.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Personal Development is a lifelong process that involves the assessment of current skills and talents and the enhancement of oneself based on that assessment which then leads to the realization of goals and an improved quality of life. To be able to assess yourself, you need to be able to reflect on your past which helps you to understand the attitudes you have developed and the foundation that you will be building your life on. Also, you have to reflect on your present to see if there’s room for improvement and reflect on your future so that you can achieve your aspirations.... [tags: Management, Want, Future, Personal development]
1771 words (5.1 pages)
- Canada is a land of immigrants, being a multicultural country it welcomes people from around the world. As a result there is an increasing trend of the elderly population’s movement from globe to Canada. According to the Statistics Canada, (2015), 28% of seniors of 65 years and above were immigrant in the year 2001. Asia was Canada 's largest source of immigrants between 2006 and 2011, roughly 661,600 or 56.9% came from Asia. Furthermore, the seniors’ population is expected to continue to grow and Statistics Canada projects the percentage of seniors to be 23% of all Canadians by 2041.... [tags: Old age, Gerontology, Ageing, Middle age]
1062 words (3 pages)
- There are a number of benefits to be found from thinking about ageing as a lifelong process and not just one that affects older people. This essay will define some of these benefits whilst backing up this reasoning with reference to the K118 material. It will then explain briefly which experiences I have had personally which have led me to responding to the question in this manner. In today’s society, what was once said to be true and taken as fact regarding older people is no longer the whole story.... [tags: Old age, Gerontology, Death, Aging]
1730 words (4.9 pages)
- Software development process is similar to manufacturing a physical product like a car or some other electric appliance. In manufacturing the creation of a product is heavily process driven. You may have a factory where each person has a specific set of tasks they follow. A worker (or robot) may tighten a screw all day long. Then the next task in the process is performed by the next specialist. The workers (and robots) do not deter from the process or make something up "on the fly". The parts churn through the through the process, and the output is a finished product.... [tags: Software development process]
1842 words (5.3 pages)
- Lifelong learning is developing a new skills or knowledge through lifelong, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of education for professional reasons or personal purpose. In other words, lifelong learning is the process of one educating oneself from early childhood to late senior years. A lifelong learning idea represents that, people learned by their selves, in groups, and from each other. Also, they learn by making real model solution to new products where we have to apply our skills and they take their skills that they learned and apply it to a real-life practice field.... [tags: Engineering, Engineer, Lifelong learning]
1336 words (3.8 pages)
- Lifelong learning, as a concept, has recently received a lot of attention. It has, however, been viewed largely in the context of individuals and as to how they need to continuously learn and evolve in a knowledge economy. The concept places value on flexible learning strategies, multidisciplinary and flexible approaches to curricula, and up gradation of skills to respond to the demands generated by the external environment. The external environment, however, effects not only individuals but the organizations as well.... [tags: knowledge, lifelong learning, organizations]
2576 words (7.4 pages)
- Resiliency is the ability to successfully overcome adversity (Seccombe, 2016). Learning resilience is a lifelong process. Elements at the macro and micro level produce the harsh conditions or recovery mechanisms (Seccombe, 2016). Macro-level elements include political and social systems. Micro-level elements consist of the family system and an individual’s characteristics. Additionally, it is these environmental factors and individual characteristics that foster either resignation or resilience (Seccombe, 2016).... [tags: Social status, Sociology, Unfair labor practice]
772 words (2.2 pages)
- Ageing Population in Indonesia Ageing populations is a community of people that in process of growing old or developing the appearance and characteristics of old age. 12 percent of world populations are aged sixties. Every country has different standard for determining or categorize the aging people. Indonesia has made great development in their life expectancy rate for the past decades, in the same way Indonesia also among the nations that has made tremendous progress in increasing their nation life expectancy.... [tags: Gerontology, Old age, Aging, Ageing]
792 words (2.3 pages)
- Persuasive Essay: In recent decades, population ageing has become an increasingly noticeable global problem. The trend of population ageing is gradually transforming the chain of socio-economic structure and hampering a nation’s development (Mukherjee, 2015). It is predicted that the working-age population will keep declining in the context of population ageing which will eventually lead to a slump of national productivity and also economic recession (UNFPA, HelpAge International, 2012). However, the changing circumstances of postindustrial era enable mature age workers today extend their working life as a result of longer life expectancy, healthier body, better educated and less physically... [tags: Old age, Gerontology, Retirement, Ageing]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- The dangers of an ageing society Due to vital progress in healthcare, humans keep living longer than ever before. At the same time, a change of mentality, mostly in more developed countries, leads to shrinking numbers of childbirth. The first statement seems to be more than positive; in contrast, the decreasing number of young people is concerning. While the average age of the United Kingdom’s population was approximately 34 in 1974, it rose to 40 in 2014. People over 65 made up 18% of the population in 2014 which is an increase of 47% since 1974 (Office for National Statistics).... [tags: Retirement, Ageing, Old age, Pension]
1033 words (3 pages)
- I Am A Sophomore At The University Of California
- Women 's Self Esteem By Marie D ' Oignies, The Beguine Movement And Its Heretical Groups
- The Great Pyramid Of Giza
- The Dark End Of The Street : Black Women, Rape, And Resistance- A New History
- Learning Strategies Are Effective For Students
- The Odyssey : A Story Of The Struggles