Advocating for Kids
“An estimated 905,000 children were victims of child abuse or neglect in 2006” (“What Is”). This appalling statistic only reinforces the idea that children are being abused in ways that parents don’t realize are abuse, and Child Protective Services isn’t doing enough to help save the innocent children being harmed. To note, there are many types of abuse and ways that parents raise and discipline their children that may be considered abuse. For example, “Strict or authoritarian parents teach their children through obedience and punishment. This may lead to decreased creativity, an increased risk of low self-esteem and stress levels as well as inflexible thinking; this is due to excessive pressure from their parents” (¨The Pros¨). This information shows evidence of how parents raise their children heavily affects them, but are not necessarily abusive. Furthermore, “Permissive parents have little control over their children. The children in these families generally play by their own rules and create their own schedules. Parental expectation of permissive parents aren 't very high; children are not mini-adults. This type of parenting can put children in danger and it may border on neglect” (¨The Pros¨). Therefore, this type of parenting could be easily subjected to abuse or neglect. Nevertheless, each way of parenting affects a child’s behavior for the rest of their lives.
Each parent has a different style, and there are many, just like there are many forms of abuse. For background purposes, it should be known that “Physical Abuse can include slapping, pushing, punching, hitting, kicking, grabbing, choking, biting, hair pulling or the use or threat to use weapons to hurt you” (“What Is”). Many young parents are...
... middle of paper ...
...vices is obviously an area of work that needs fresh, new employees to fix the damage, be one of those new faces. To shock the readers into reality, let the paper be ended with a story.
In 1981 a 6-year-old boy named Adam Walsh was decapitated. Adam disappeared July 27th at the mall in the toy department while he was shopping with his mother. Two weeks passed before fishermen discovered his severed head in a canal 120 miles away near Vero Beach; his body never was found. In 2006, President George W. Bush signed the Adam Walsh Child Protection Act to establish a national sex offender registry and to make it harder for predators to reach children on the Internet. Adam’s father, John, then became the host of the well-known show, “America’s Most Wanted.” This murder was not closed for two decades when the killer confessed to the murder on his deathbed. (“Police”)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- UNICEF (United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund) .An NGO charity, operated by the UN was organized more than 50 years ago It is active in over 191 countries such as Jordan Egypt and Iraq. It is run by volunteers and they get their funding through donations. Their mission statement is advocating for the protection of children's rights, to help meet their basic needs and to support their full participation in the political, social and economic development of their communities. This NGO is run by volunteers and funded by donations.... [tags: UNICEF, save the children]
862 words (2.5 pages)
- The Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 This a federal statute signed into law by President Barak Obama on December 13, 2010. The bill is part of the reauthorization of funding for child nutrition. The bill funds child nutrition programs and free lunch programs in schools for the next five years. The bill also sets new nutrition standards for schools and allocates $4.5 billion for their implementation. The new nutrition standards have been a point initiative of First lady Michelle Obama. (US Government Printing Office, 2010) Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 focuses on the overall improvement of nutrition for children.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Childhood]
1287 words (3.7 pages)
- According to Pediatric Vaccination Specialist Paul Offit, almost 8,000 cases of pertussis have been reported to California’s Public Health Department in 2104. Pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is a completely preventable disease by the use of vaccines. But if this ailment is preventable, then why have there been this many cases reported in California. Out fear of the reported links of vaccines to autism, some parents have decided to delay getting their kids’ vaccines, and some even withholding vaccines completely.... [tags: Vaccination, Vaccine, Immune system, Smallpox]
1226 words (3.5 pages)
- Social Workers and Children Social workers are professionals that can help people resolve difficult issues, and improve their well-being and their quality of life. These professionals typically work with individuals and groups of individuals that are experiencing crises in their lives.”( Start a Social Work Career) Social workers are dedicated to meeting the needs of their clients by interviewing them and laying out a detailed plan of goals for them to accomplish. They then help them attain these goals by using the available programs and services that a regular person would never have heard of or known they had access to.... [tags: Foster care, Family, Sociology, Social work]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- Truth be told, there are not many people who can be trusted in this world. Especially when it comes to children, parents are always very cautious and careful as to who can encounter their child. The world we live in today is extremely different from the world we once lived in a few decades ago. Along with traditions and culture; technology has taken over everything. Technology has become the root cause of major changes in everything we know of today. Parenting also became a target of technology.... [tags: Effects of Ritalin Abuse]
1914 words (5.5 pages)
- Kids Toys & Socialization Toy stores are perfect places for a sociologist to use their sociological imagination. Gendering and racism is thought to be something that is socially constructed as opposed to biologically constructed. Gendering starts during infancy, and around 2 years old children start to internalize these gender differences. I argue that children’s toys help socialize children into gender specific roles. Toy stores, like Target and Toys R Us help us understand what types of toys help to gender children.... [tags: pushing kids into gender specific roles]
1415 words (4 pages)
- FUN TO EAT Parents, like me, are always trying to come up with ways to get their children to eat more, or eat healthier. What better way than to make food fun. Food in the shape of faces and animals is one way. The other is to make the environment surrounding the eating experience fun. Recently, for my two year old daughter’s birthday, I bought a Dora 3-piece folding table and chair set. The box does a good job at selling “fun” with its bright colors, huge Nick Jr. logos, and characters from one of my daughter’s favorite shows, Dora.... [tags: Kids Children Parenting]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- ... If LAUSD could afford to lose the 3 item rule, they'd probably be able to improve school lunches drastically using their newfound funds, and make kids actually want to eat the fruit and veggie options. However, they still need to geet paid for meals, otherwise all that saved money won’t exist. There are several reasons that LAUSD hasn’t stopped following the rules and sacrificed their government rebates in order to earn back their $18,000,000 losses, and none of them are very good. One is that they are being told that "repeated exposure to fruits and vegetables eventually leads children to eat more of them.... [tags: Hunger-Free Kids Act]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Suicide and Children Suicide has become much more common in children than it used to be. For children under age 15, about 1-2 out of every 100,000 children will commit suicide. For those 15-19, about 11 out of 100,000 will commit suicide. These are statistics for children in the USA. Suicide is the fourth leading cause of death for children ages 10-14 and the third leading cause of death for teenagers 15-19. Recent evidence suggests it is the lack of substance abuse, guns, and relationship problems in younger children which accounts for the lower suicide rates in this group.... [tags: Children Kids Suicide Killing Essays]
2138 words (6.1 pages)
- Introduction: A) Broad discussion of topics: Discuss Kristin's thesis 1. Evolution and understanding of it Macro vs. Micro VIST framework Darwin/Mayr 2. Tools-language Open vs. Close ended questions How vs. why questions Best way of asking to reveal causal framework -explain causal framework: Essentialism (Gelman), Teleology (Keleman), Bloom, and Theory of Mind Ultimate Cause (natural) Why questions Proximate cause How questions 3.... [tags: essays research papers]
420 words (1.2 pages)