The “California Dream” exists among many generations of immigrants longing for a better life. Nevertheless, what part of the “Dream” proves to be the truth, and what part contain the fantasy embellishments? This “Dream” portrays California as the “the sunshine state,” a place where, “dreams come true with little effort.” The “Dream” illustrates California as “the streets lined with gold pieces for the taking.” This depiction of California contains few actual facts embellished with many fantasy details. By believing the myth of the “California Dream,” many disillusioned immigrants, whether from another state or another country have had their dreams and their lives destroyed. Although many still hold on to the belief in the sunny easy going life in Ca...
... middle of paper ...
...tails. The myth of the “California Dream” behaves like a used car salesman, promising a top of the line automobile, but selling you a lemon. Caution must be used when describing the “California Dream” to immigrants hoping to settle in our Golden State. The immigrants must know the “Dream” exists as a myth and must know the differences between the few true facts and the details embellished by fantasy. Otherwise, the idea of the “California Dream,” in actuality becomes, over time, what kills California.
Anonymous. 1849. “Notes of a California Expedition.” Maasik and Solomon, 35-40
De Montalvo, Garci Rodriguez Ordonez. 1510. “The Queen of California.” Maasik and Solomon, 31-32
Maasik and Solomon. 2006. “California- The Bellwether State.” Maasik and Solomon, 1-11
Rawls, James J. 1945. “California: a Place, a People, a Dream.” Maasik and Solomon, 22-30
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As she sits down, she starts smiling. It is an innocent smile, but I can’t quite understand whether it is for excitement or nervousness. She covers her face and giggles underneath her hands. She waits for me to start asking questions. She states her full name, Maricel Yvette Montalvo Rodriguez, moved to the United States from Puerto Rico in 2010 at the age of six. She was already fluent in Spanish when she came to the states . As she started school, she was enrolled into the English immersion program.... [tags: Second language, English language]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Eating habits influence people’s body functions, as different chemicals and components in different foods and drinks can produce various biological reactions. A common diet is consuming vitamins and proteins on a daily basis; and usually, people would intake alcohol as a “self-prescription” when they are under pressure. All these components have major impacts on the human stress levels. Stress usually happens when people are confronting stressors, such as catastrophes, daily hassles, and blah .... [tags: healthy/unhealthy lifestyles]
987 words (2.8 pages)
- If you have ever worked with a green card immigrant or even an illegal immigrant you know that their work ethic is strong and reliable. However, does that mean our government should give them automatic legal status. This has been quite the political issue for some time now and the government cannot come to any agreement on how to figure this problem out. I am going to briefly argue that immigration reform can affect the U.S. economy, the U.S. workers, and the taxpayers. Legalization, whether it is the right thing to do or not, both sides of the table are trying to argue what the impact legalization would have on the economy.... [tags: Immigration to the United States, Immigration]
1237 words (3.5 pages)
- Organizational Systems & Quality Leadership As nurses, our obligation is to protect the health and safety of patients. Therefore nurses must assimilate their role, analyze concerns, and improve patient care. Nurses entrust evidence based factors specific to nursing, which galvanize patients through the care provided, known as nursing-sensitive indicators. These indicators thereafter are used to identify, evaluate, and enhance patient care likewise prevent future occurrences (ANA, 2014). A. Nursing Sensitive Indicators The first step in identifying concerns that impede patient care is to educate staff, enhancing their understanding of nursing-sensitive indicators, and how to improve quality... [tags: Nursing, Patient, Ethics, Nurse]
939 words (2.7 pages)
- “As soon as the Cid caught sight of the King he ordered all his men to halt…He knelt down on his hands and knees on the ground and with his teeth he pulled up a mouthful of grass. With tears of joy streaming from his eyes he showed in this way his complete submission to his liege lord, Alfonso.” What would cause a grown man to act in such a manner. The Cid was the ruler of Valencia, and the leader of thousands of soldiers. The Cid has defeated countless enemies and have been victorious in all his wars, he could have been almost thought of as a man without fear.... [tags: Poetry Poem essays research papers]
2140 words (6.1 pages)
- FINAL INTERNSHIP REPORT I joined the Kirkuk Global LLC on 26th May, 2015. Kirkuk Global, LLC an Illinois Limited Liability Company, having a place of business at Chicago. It is engineering and project management firm comprised of consultants, engineers and advisors. Edgar Montalvo, is the owner and Chief Executive officer of the company. He manages all the projects by assigning individual project managers and project managing consultants to each project. The company chooses to work with construction manager at risk, construction manager as an agent and design build project delivery methods.... [tags: Project management, Project, Construction]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- Use of drugs by early adolescents is increasing by the minute. Approximately 12.8 million Americans twelve and older use illegal drugs daily. Adolescents seem to abuse drugs more than any other age group. Ninety percent of Americans who have used illegal drugs have used marijuana or hashish. Society says drugs are evil and that they can turn a person into a rapist or murderer. America happens to be the most drug-aware and drug-experienced society in the world (Bancroft 2). Yet the United States of America has the highest drug abuse rate of any country in the world.... [tags: Substance Abuse Essays]
1618 words (4.6 pages)
- A Stand Against Wikipedia As Wikipedia has become more and more popular with students, some professors have become increasingly concerned about the online, reader-produced encyclopedia. While plenty of professors have complained about the lack of accuracy or completeness of entries, and some have discouraged or tried to bar students from using it. “As educators, we are in the business of reducing the dissemination of misinformation,” said Don Wyatt, chair of the department. “Even though Wikipedia may have some value, particularly from the value of leading students to citable sources, it is not itself an appropriate source for citation,” he said.... [tags: Wikipedia Education School]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- There are many misconceptions about beauty and its importance, in todays society. In a time when physical beauty can be of utter importance, we seem to be at a loss of it. What is beauty and where can it be found. Can we see it in the air we breathe, the brilliant oceans, in the striking sunsets, or even in one another. With the weight of beauty in today's society, the common use of expressions used to describe life's brilliance is expected. The many expressions used to discuss beauty such as "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" and "beauty runs only skin deep" all stimulate different opinions and create controversy, but the most notorious of all, being that "beauty doesn't last forever... [tags: Beauty Sheri Tepper Essays]
1603 words (4.6 pages)
- Everyday, people encounter donation advertisements sponsored by local charities, broadcasting stations or government. Donation box can be seen next to the counter of McDonald’s, Burger King and Borders Bookstore. Promotion of aid, such as “call 1-800-123-4567 to feed children in Africa,” is publicized on television or radio. Aid brochures are available in public libraries or churches. Through the efforts, many people are willing to contribute their change into the donation box after ordering Big Mac or Whopper.... [tags: Aid Organizations ]
1992 words (5.7 pages)