Like most problems, the answer is not simple. The obvious first choice is the military. History shows that the concept of weather warfare is not new to them and that they have considered weather manipulation as a tactical advantage.
It is a common practice for military jets to dump glass strips coated with aluminum from planes when doing manoeuvres, supposedly to block radar. A 19960research paper entitled “Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025 was presented to the US Air Force. Its primary focus was to identify ways to capitalize on emerging technologies for the use of future weather-modification to achieve military objectives. These objectives include everything from controlling precipitation and visibility to limiting fresh water through drought. They even include ways to reduce vulnerability from hostile enemy activities, which alludes to the fact that they believe this is a real threat from other nations too.
Besides the interest by the military, there is evidence to suggest that private enterprise is also interested in manipulating our eco-system for a broad range of reasons.
Scientists have tested and used cloud and atmospheric seeding for weather modification and know these methods have quick effect and the cost is extremely inexpensive to deliver the chemicals to the stratosphere. It is in private enterprises’ best interest to suggest that we are past the point where reducing emissions will help. When there is a problem, there are companies that will come up with solutions for a profit, and if geoengineering is touted as a cheap, quick and easy fix, it would be so much easier for everyone. There wouldn’t have to be drastic changes in fossil fuel usage or production. In the US alone t...
... middle of paper ...
...rk together. Efforts such as the Montreal Protocol were largely successful in reducing the use of ozone-destroying chemicals, but many countries chose to not even participate in the Kyoto Protocol or other efforts. It appears that corporations do control many governments today.
The only way to provoke change is through continued pressure for change and education for those that know nothing about what is going on. You have now grasped the basics. There are plenty of ways to get involved if you want to do more. Just search for someone already involved near you or start your own website. Bring the topic up with your local politician and provide them with information so that they cannot say they do not know about geoengineering.
Your small part is not small. As the Dalai Lama once said, “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... She has to go through extremely demanding treatment each morning, in order for her to stay alive. The doctor has said that Annie would not live past the age of fifteen, even if she receives such painful treatments every single day. Looking from this case, it is seen that genetic manipulating babies may prevent the future generation to inherit terrible diseases like Annie. Moreover, other than using the technology of genetic manipulation babies to prevent diseases, it can produce babies that can save existing children that has already inherited diseases; these babies are called saviour babies.... [tags: designer babies, inherit terrible diseases]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- ... It is then implanted into the uterus of the foster mother. For both methods, the foster mother, after several weeks will give birth with the offspring, creating a new individual with the gene desired. Advantages Transgenic Animals have a numerous amount of advantages and have benefited our society in the past few years both economically and medically. The most beneficial advantages of Transgenic Animals are that they produce better quality meat, milk, nutrition and wool, by doing this, they are indeed helping us economically as the better quality they are, the more expensive it will be, leading to people purchasing them.... [tags: dna, technology, embryonic stem cell]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- Absorption costing is defined as a method that includes all manufacturing costs, such as direct labor, indirect labor, variable overheads and fixed overheads. This approach also as called as full costing approach. Nowadays, a lot of companies use absorption costing method for external financial reporting purpose, matching concept is used in absorption costing. Assets like inventory affects the company’s ability to earn more profit, so in accounting field it match the expenses with the revenues that they produce is important.... [tags: companies, finances, manipulation]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- Thailand country is situated in the South east of Asia. It is a country that is replete with scenic beauty and even beautiful culture. It has been several jungles, natural parks, verdant plains and beaches washed by crystal blue waters. History of this country is multifaceted, involving storming of different people, concern of different kingdoms, and interface of unrelated cultures and the regulation of several kinds. Thailand country is known for its important sacred temple, magnificent natural beauty and hospitality.... [tags: Weather, Culture, Etiquette]
882 words (2.5 pages)
- The media’s manipulation of society is a real and scary issue that leads to many of the psychosocial, financial, and political issues that the American populace faces on a daily basis. The factual events skewed by subliminal manipulation of information has been blinding the American people from the realities of global and local events that the media has tried to twist and cover up for generations for their gain, for the benefit of businesses the affiliate with, or to make their personal belief on an issue stand out more than the truth.... [tags: Media Manipulation]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- An old Norwegian saying states that “there is no such things as bad weather, only bad clothing.” The saying may be old, but its value is without a doubt contemporary, encompassing the Norwegians’ embrace of nature and the effect of the weather on their culture. This Norwegian culture, from clothing to food, to leisure activity to art, has always been greatly influenced by the climatic conditions, and continues to be so today. It is a society deeply rooted in traditions and mutually linked to its environment, which allows for much outdoor activity, even though the country finds itself at the fringes of the north.... [tags: Weather and Culture]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Weather forecasting can be defined in so many ways; one of such ways is the application of science and technology to predict the state of the atmosphere for a future time and a given location.” Although the concept of weather forecasting seems exciting weather forecasters are taken for granted; people fail to realize that they have so much to contribute to the economy. ‘’Is it possible by any means to make weather predictions beyond one or two weeks’’. According to Matthew E. Kahn it has been proven, atmospheric scientists reports of long range climate forecast that are among the best that they have ever had, been able to predict climate for up to six months in advance.... [tags: Climate Change, Weather Forecasting]
1653 words (4.7 pages)
- Presentation of the Issue Photo manipulation has become very common now days, especially in magazines. “EVERYTHING is photoshopped. Every image you see on a magazine cover is not real” (F,Jim, 2010) Where editors edit photos by enhancing certain aspects or erasing “flaws” in order to achieve what has always been sought by humans: “perfection”. Or in realistic words: to achieve the stereotypic image of beauty from society’s perspective. In order to achieve this, a particular software is used in order to manipulate images.Photoshop is the most common photo manipulation software used.... [tags: Digital Photo Manipulation]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- If one was to discuss weather with his neighbor I am sure certain questions would come up. Most of these will deal with rain or in the winter snow, but most questions usually regard something falling, or not falling, from the sky. I think bad weather is talked about more than good weather. During good weather most people just say, "this is good weather," and leave it at that. The Bible is not quiet on the subject of weather. All through the Bible there are stories of floods, droughts, earthquakes, famines, hail, thunder, lightning, wind, and storms.... [tags: Religion]
546 words (1.6 pages)
- Weather Forecasting In researching this project I was amazed to find the many books on this topic. After going through much information and reading an enormous amount of writing on weather forecasting I can only come to one conclusion that when all is considered the best forecasters can only give an educated guess of what is in store for weather. Through the many means at their disposal, such as satellites, ships at the ocean, infrared, radio, and radar transmissions even with all of these techniques no prediction is 100% accurate.... [tags: essays research papers]
937 words (2.7 pages)