Maxi Chambers, a former gambler addict, told a story about winning five hundred dollars her first time gambling; this led to her playing more frequently, often every week in order to win extra money (par. 6,9). The feeling of winning sometimes overpowered the feeling of losing. Often times, a compulsive gambler forgets how much money he or she spent while trying to win. Winning does not occur often, and this results in a stronger and prolonged urge to gamble. The thought of winning overpowers the gambler so much that he or she may forget about all of the times he or she lost. Even though winning occurs less often than losing; the positive feelings associated with winning are what gamblers thrive on. The majority of addicts have a history of a jackpot strike that gets their adrenaline pumping. This jackpot strike allows them to feel okay w...
... middle of paper ...
..., meditate, hang out with friends, undertake a hobby, and use relaxation techniques (par 5). As earlier stated, gambling destroys family relationships and being alone creates boredom. Help them plan an agenda to stay busy. Make sure to schedule in plenty of time with family and friends who will support their decision to quit gambling (par. 15).
These tips are not for everyone. Trying each one to see which fits best will have a better outcome for success. Understanding the numerous techniques to overcome this habit can help narrow the options whether choosing therapy or the helpful tips listed throughout. Remember to help the addict stay busy and keep in mind how harmful quitting an addiction can be to family and friend relationships. Even though it is hard to quit an addiction, there are many ways to overcome the different struggles of being a gambling addict.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Section One Residents may be throwing away more than trash when the city run garbage trucks collect their rubbish. Government run solid waste collection costs approximately twenty-five percent more than when a private contract company is utilized. (Teel 1993) The concept of privatizations of solid waste collection services is nothing new. This change from using government employees and government owned trucks and landfills to contracting with a private company for solid waste collection is a trend that is getting more attention lately.... [tags: Environment, Trash Collection]
1990 words (5.7 pages)
- ... Germantown is one town mention in Hanc’s writing. This town is mentions because the closes super market is 8 miles away and the only stores around are a pizza place and Dunkin Donuts. They donators main goal was to get nourishing food to the city of German town. So people bring them food in order to help them out. They also tend to think about the calories in the food to ensure that they are not hindering the people any more than they already are. In order to get the food you have to wait in a line for several hours before the food will be passed out and you don’t need to prove that you need the food in order to receive it (Hanc, F4).... [tags: becoming addicted to money and power]
1040 words (3 pages)
- A lot of my friends struggling with money, it is difficult for them to go out with family and friends to have fun and do things other than eat and hang out on campus and go on trips during Winter and Spring breaks. Luckily, I have my extra loan money. If I did not have this money, I have no idea how I would be able to go out and have fun. Sure, I am borrowing the money but for the moment I am able to go out and have fun. I am not limited to go out to eat, go do fun things with family and friends, or to go shopping on the weekends.... [tags: Debt, Interest, Loan, Money]
1394 words (4 pages)
- Money, Money, Money. The world revolves around the idea that a piece of flimsy paper holds value. Those of us who deny that it has any true value, still must face the fact that in order to survive, without resorting to means of stealing and violence, we must learn how to use money. In today 's world people must be able to spend and save smartly in order to develop financial stability. Prices have risen and expenses for college have risen dramatically. In 1990 the minimum wage was $3.80 and college tuition for a four year public institution is $20,972.... [tags: Full-time, High school, Money, Part-time]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- When most people think of an addict, what may come to mind is a homeless person on the side of street, dirt under their nails asking for change to buy their next handle of vodka, a chain smoker with yellow teeth and a raspy voice, or even the neighbors son who was arrested after breaking into their parents house to steal money for more heroin. The dictionary defines an addict as “a person who is addicted to an activity, habit, or substance” (Addict). They then define addicted as “devoted or given up to a practice or habit or to something psychologically or physically habit forming” (Addicted).... [tags: Addiction, Drug addiction, Overeating]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- Ask yourself these questions and you may be surprised to find that if not you then someone you know or know of is addicted or may have the potential to be addicted to video games. Do you have a sense of well-being or euphoria while playing. When you are not gaming are you constantly thinking about the games. Do you find yourself neglecting other aspects of your life such as relationships, hygiene, sleep, Studies, and food in order to play video games. Do you lie or denied the amount of time you spent devoted to playing video games in order to protect your source of pleasure.... [tags: coping, reality, pleasure]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- Beginning the day with a cup of coffee has become a ritual for many college students. As a college freshmen, I found out that many students from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign were addicted to Starbucks. Most of them consumed two to three cups of coffee per day and spend an average of $16 - $25 dollars per week in Starbucks. This was at stake because students can be drown into debt because of their overspending in Starbucks. Also, drinking too much coffee can lead to stomach problems and other debilitating illnesses that cloud the mind and make the body sluggish.... [tags: coffee, stomach problems, college students]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- Having your face disfigured and burned in a matter of seconds is not what any woman has in mind as a consequence when they refuse to go on a date with a man. Sadly, this form of violence or “Acid Throwing” is happening in the gender-stratified or “Caste” system countries. The intent of this essay is to inform the reader what acid throwing is; how and why it happens and provide several facts about this crime. Hopefully, one of these organizations will assist these women who have been victimized, and hopefully they can lead a normal life.... [tags: Violence]
2153 words (6.2 pages)
- Throwing a football When the football travels through the air for a long pass it always follows a curved path because the force of gravity influences the movement of the ball in the vertical direction. As the ball travels up, gravity slows it down until it stops briefly at its peak height; the ball then comes down, and gravity accelerates it until it hits the ground. Projectile motion is the path of any object that is launched or thrown and has an arched course (howstuffworks) For the football to travel the most accurate and furthest distance, the ball must have the tightest spiral it can develop.... [tags: essays research papers]
647 words (1.8 pages)
- Javelin Throwing This is a very important factor in javelin throwing. Speed in the legs can build up momentum in the run up so that the throw can go further. Speed is also needed in the legs when pushing off the ground as this combines with strength to create power that can be applied to the javelin once thrown. The arm also needs speed so that the javelin can be pulled through quickly, giving a momentum to also combine with strength to create power. The power then applies a force onto the javelin.... [tags: Papers]
449 words (1.3 pages)