My field of study is Criminal Justice. A new development in this field had been put in place by the FBI this new development is Next Generation Identification system or (NGI) which is what it will be referred to in this essay. NGI is what will be enhancing and/or replacing IAFIS which is the current system used my law enforcement. NGI is a state-of -the-art biometric identification service. NGI is a one point two billion dollar investment by the U.S. federal government. It will take a total of ten years for NGI to be fully activated. NGI is divided into six different stages, which are ten-print processing, RISC, national palm repository and latent searches,facial recognition and Rap Back,Iris recognition, and Tech refresh.
The NGI Program Office’s main goals are to minimize terrorism and criminal activity by improving the current biometric identification and criminal history database known as IAFIS. The goals that this systems hope to achieve are public safety and national security, biometric leadership, privacy and data protection, and efficiency improvements. NGI is a joint creation of the Bureau, the CJIS Advisory Policy Board and members of Compact Council,composed of local,state,federal, and international representatives. A study contractor from IntelliDyne help the FBI to confirm the stakeholder requirements. 193 agencies and over 1,000 individuals are stakeholders. Some of the stakeholders include State Identification Bureaus, State Crime Labs, Federal Agencies, Authorized Non-Criminal Justice Agencies, and Special Interest groups such as NIST and SEARCH.
Step One is the ten-print processing which was started in 2011. Using algorithms from Morphotrak NGI will be able to do back-end processing of the ten-print finger...
... middle of paper ...
...m so it can run as needed. Many people question why NGI is being introduced now and the answer that Edgell gave was “NGI did not require the creation of any authority from the FBI. The FBI had all the authority to do everything I’ve already described. We just didn’t have the technology to do it or the business progress to go along with it...”Edgell,B. Chief of the implementation and transition unit.
In conclusion the NGi is the newest development in the field of criminal justice. It enhances the old technology such as fingerprinting but it also adds new ways to identify people using the iris recognition. The biggest problem NGI has is the possibility of not following the Freedom of Information by monitoring everyday people, but nothing has been proven at this time. All in all the NGI system has proved to be an excellent new addition the the Criminal Justice system.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Importance of Understanding Each Generation Diversity is a key defining feature of the twenty-first century, and naturally this diversity is reflected in the workplace, "there is a general school of thought that organizations must recognize the influence and work preferences of different generations to be effective in the future" ( Shaw and Fairhurst, 2008). The next few sections will describe the generation’s similarities and difference, managing chaos as well as employee retention and keeping employees engaged.... [tags: Generation Y, Generation X, Employment]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- There is no legal set of protocols for biometric identification, which is a major concern. According to Donohue, “Congress has been virtually silent on the many current and potential uses of facial recognition technology (FRT) and related technologies.” (Donohue, 2012, p. 414). Remote biometric identification (RBI) gives the government the ability to identify many people at once, from a distance, whenever they are in the open and continuously (Donohue, 2012, p. 415). The facial recognition technology (FRT) contained over 210 million people in 2012 that are used in local, state, and government entities.... [tags: Biometrics, Facial recognition system]
1397 words (4 pages)
- Illumina sequencing is an example of next-generation sequencing method. It uses fluorescence-based sequence-monitoring technology and contributes to about 90% of current sequencing data2. In Illumina platform, vast numbers of short reads are sequenced in a single stroke. To do this, the input sample must be cleaved into short sections firstly and the length of these sections will depend on the particular Illumina sequencing machine used. In Illumina sequencing, 100-150bp reads are used, somewhat longer fragments are ligated to generic adaptors and annealed to a slide using the adaptors.... [tags: DNA, RNA, Gene, Molecular biology]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- ... At the announcement of the PS4, Sony already had several game developers talk about the games that they were working on creating. The most common thing that was said was that they were now able to create the games they had always dreamed of. The PS4 was designed by game developers for game developers. As Sony said, “When the developers are happy the gamers are happy” (2013). The new hardware also allows for nearly instant downloads. The 8GB of ram allows it to download the very beginning of the game initially and continue downloading the rest of the game while the player starts the game.... [tags: personalized, xbox, controller, ]
563 words (1.6 pages)
- Radio Frequency Identification "Select one particular area of the arts, media or communication industries and discuss the way in which new technologies could influence future developments in that field” “This is the most dangerous technology humanity has come up with since the nuclear bomb. Our children's generation will judge us by how we handle this” (Centaur Communications, 2003). What possible atrocities could this be in reference to. Could it be Saddam Hussein’s hidden weapons of mass destruction, or perhaps an opposition to genetic engineering.... [tags: Cyberstudies Art Technology Essays]
2095 words (6 pages)
- Introduction Forensics, is considered a science of the judicial system, where as evidence is obtained regarding criminal acts to determine the innocence or guilt of individual(s). There is a wide area of forensic studies; this paper will discuss three of these topics Digital Apprehension, DNA, and Interpol. Digital Apprehension is just as it says digital, meaning pictures and various technologic devices. DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) is an inherent identifying marker of cells be, human or plant; that is now a mainstay of criminal analysis.... [tags: Criminology ]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- Ever since David Packard and Bill Hewlett founded Hewlett-Packard in 1939, the industry of technology has grown rapidly, and does not show signs of slowing down any time soon. The technology industry is constantly growing, providing innovative and helpful ways to accomplish various tasks. New technology is very helpful, however, this machinery is only beneficial if used for the right reasons. For example, a company by the name of NGI (Next Generation identification) has a system where they use scanners and a state-of-the-art biometric identification system, to identify anyone 's identity within seconds.... [tags: Biometrics, Facial recognition system]
1037 words (3 pages)
- Ever since David Packard and Bill Hewlett established Hewlett-Packard in 1939, the industry of technology has advanced rapidly, and does not show signs of slowing down any time soon. The technology industry is constantly growing, providing innovative and helpful ways to accomplish various tasks. New technology is very helpful, however, these electronic appliances are only beneficial if used for the right reasons. For example, a company by the name of NGI (Next Generation identification) has a system where they use scanners and a state-of-the-art biometric identification system, to identify anyone 's identity within seconds.... [tags: Biometrics, Facial recognition system]
1036 words (3 pages)
- What is a Full Writing System. Full writing systems may be defined as collections of arbitrary signs that can represent all the words of the language to which they are applied. Limited writing systems consisting of marks made for counting or identification go back three thousand years. The evolution of full writing systems has taken place only during the past five thousand years. Writing systems have made possible the technological advances that has taken humanity from hunting, gathering, and simple farming to exploration of space.... [tags: essays research papers]
509 words (1.5 pages)
- System security plans are documented and all policies are a shared vision so that an effective dialogue with all stakeholders can be started and all inputs and outputs are assessed as one combined unit with the intent of achieving maximum effectiveness. The plan is reviewed and assessed periodically to maintain a high state of system security. Personnel security is separated based on assigned duties and the sensitivity of data. Portals have been implemented to quickly aggregate information based on assigned positions and responsibilities.... [tags: Computer security, Security, Authentication]
1222 words (3.5 pages)