Within the Black-White achievement gap resides a subgroup whose academic performance is distressingly ...
... middle of paper ...
...disparities between the two ethnic communities that can be traced back to the legacy of slavery and other forms of oppression that blacks have suffered.” Supporters of this view felt that educational achievement correlates more strongly with economic status than with any other single variable. Since the majority of the black community lags behind whites in income and wealth, the educational inequalities are caused by the economic inequalities. They believe that once the inequalities disappear, the educational disparities will as well. Many argue that this is not a viable argument. They point to other minority groups such as Asians, some of whom are financially worse off than blacks, and they excel in school . They felt that because the civil rights legislation removed all roadblocks back in the 60’s and 70’s something else must be contributing to the large gap.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Social Theory is multifaceted. It boasts ideals that expound upon society on a grand scale, and theories that dissect the minute actions of individuals that comprise their daily lives. These ranges of theoretical ideals prove beneficial when trying to unravel the complexities of society. Using theory as a framework or a guide, many societal plagues can be examined from the different perspectives that social theory has to offer. This multidimensional approach can be used in the achievement gap debate.... [tags: Sociology, Theories]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- Cover Letter I did not submit my first draft on time, which gave me no feedbacks from my professor or my classmates. I was busy moving from the states to China, but it is my own mistake to have an unorganized schedule. I read through my classmates’ drafts, the PowerPoint and the specifics for the project. There are some changes I made from my first draft. First, my first draft has some my personal views involved. I deleted and changed those sentences to more informative sentences for my final version.... [tags: United States, African American, Education]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- There are many factors that play a role in the deficit of how well our students of today are doing academically. From environment to the actually teacher plays a crucial roll in filling in the achievement gap. It’s more than just the basic knowledge of knowing how to read, write and do math. A lot of social and emotional problems play a huge role in how successful our students can be. In order to close the achievement gap we have to do more than just teach the basic. In this paper I will discuss best practices that are used in school throughout the country in hopes to close the achievement gap.... [tags: Education, High school, Dropout, Teacher]
1546 words (4.4 pages)
- Closing the Academic Achievement Gap Crisis in America The Achievement Gap in America has separated and divided America's youth into more or less, two different cultures of socioeconomic placement. The first being the predominantly Caucasian students at American elementary schools, high schools, and colleges that excel greatly in their education. Most of the time earning them middle to upper class jobs in the economy, the aforementioned group contrasts significantly with its opposite culture of American youth.... [tags: Education, Minorities]
2009 words (5.7 pages)
- The achievement gap is defined as the disparity between the performance groups of students, especially groups defined by gender, race/ethnicity, ability and socio-economic status. The achievement gap can be observed through a variety of measures including standardized test scores, grade point averages, drop out rates, college enrollment and completion rates. The Black-White achievement gap is a critical issue in modern society’s education system. Although data surrounding the issue clearly indicates that the racial performance gap exists in areas of standardized tests, graduation rates, dropout rates, and enrollment in continuing education, the causative reasons for the gap are ambiguous—the... [tags: Sociology, Gender Roles, Racial Relations]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- What role do you believe a counselor should take in closing the achievement gap. Is this an issue strictly for teachers and administrators. What specific strategies could a counselor use to be a part of closing the achievement gap. Use information from the required reading (as well as other research you can find), but also try to be creative and think of a strategy in addition to the ones you have read. Locate, read, and cite at least three journal articles in your response to these assignments.... [tags: teaching, leadership, guidance counselors]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction Education experts have spent many years planning and revising learning material and assessment tools to meet the demands of diverse learners coming into the 21st century. Educators have responded to this demand by becoming more aware of the need for a multicultural education program that helps meet the needs of each diverse learner, examining their own attitudes and bias opinions toward minority students, and acknowledging the important role every stakeholder plays in providing an equal education to every learner.... [tags: prospects and challenges in the 21st century]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- The Achievement has been a reoccurring issue for many years within the education system. Achievement gaps refers to the academic performance within a set of students. The most vital indicators pertaining to the achievement gap is reviewing standardized tests, course selection, dropout rates, and college completion rates (Morris 227). This issue has been reoccurring because of the various attempts of reforms to close the gap. Some of the reforms to decrease the gap is “No child left behind act 2001”, recovery act, P-12 reform, and many more.... [tags: Education, Higher education, College, High school]
704 words (2 pages)
- The achievement gap facing low income, African American, and Latino populations is undoubtedly a complicated problem. It is defined as the “disparity between the academic performances of different groups of students”. Most of the data on the achievement gap is gathered from the National Assessment of Education Progress (NAEP), also known as the “nation’s report card”. Some reports suggest that these students arrive at disadvantage, which is then perpetuated through their schooling (Learning Point Associates, 2003).... [tags: Race Educational Educating Essays]
4192 words (12 pages)
- Each year, children are failing in school. As the years progress, the number of children failing keep rising. In "Closing the Achievement Gap", Kati Haycock, the Director of the Education Trust at the American Association for Higher Education, states " Between 1970 and 1988, the achievement gap between African American and white students was cut in half, and the gap separating Latinos and whites declined by one-third. That progress came to a halt around 1988, however, and since that time, the gaps have widened" (6).... [tags: Closing the Achievement Gap]
1572 words (4.5 pages)