In 1973 a decision made by the United States Supreme Court favored women in making their own medical decision, which included having an abortion. An abortion is the ending of pregnancy by removing the fetus from the embryo before it can survive outside the uterus. Though there are many types of abortions that could take place between the first, second, and third trimesters. This paper will focus on abortions that take place during her first trimester and the ethical concerns for those that support the procedure, as well as those that are in opposition.
Around 56 million abortions are performed each year in the world. A pregnancy can be aborted in several ways, with the most common being done by dilation and evacuation (D&E). This procedure takes about five minutes and can be done with local anesthetic or IV sedation. Abortions that are performed in the first trimester occur up to 11 weeks and 6 days, right before 12 weeks (3 months). In the state of Georgia a person can receive an abortion up to 20 weeks in the pregnancy. In some cases an abortion can occur up to 24 weeks of pregnancy. The time frame and the techniques that are used are just some of the reasons why abortions have been controversial, there are some people who are for abortions and there are many who are against it.
Those who are against abortion are commonly referred to as pro-life. The National Right to Life Committee (NRLC) is one organization that is pro-life. The NRLC was founded in 1968 and it works through legislation and education to protect innocent human life from abortion, infanticide, assisted suicide and euthanasia. The organization views abortion as a form of murder of the most innocent of our society. In fact the NRLC ...
... middle of paper ...
... the other hand, women who are not given the choice to have an abortion can tend to live with regret and anger that could possible lead to a mental health problem.
There are many opposing arguments behind women having an abortion. Abortion can be looked at as murder by pro-life supporters. Those in support of pro-life also feel that women use abortion as a form of contraception. However, those that are pro-choice believe those women should have the choice to terminate her pregnancy or continue with her pregnancy. “The choice over when and whether to have children is central to a women’s independence and ability to determine her future ().” Some women are just not ready for the big responsibility when it comes to raising a child. For those reasons weather good or bad a women should be able to choose to have an abortion and no one should be able to deter her decision.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abortions have been a controversial issue for years. Many states have banned abortions after so long in the gestational age. There are reasons for abortions I can understand, but I just don’t agree. Abortions are an inhumane way to take life God has gifted to us. Sadly, there are many surprising numbers when it comes to abortions. According to Operation Rescue, “there are approximately 1.21 million abortions in America each year.” (Unknown, 2013) In the United States, almost half of all pregnancies are unintended and out of those unintended pregnancies 4 out of 10 are aborted.... [tags: Argument Against Abortion]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Abortions are one of the most controversial subjects for Americans. Many Americans think it should be a choice because it’s their body, but others think were created in the image of god and abortion is murder. Although abortions are convenient they are cruel alternatives to pregnancy. What is an abortion. “An abortion is the ending of pregnancy before birth. An abortion cause the embryo or fetus to die” (Jacobs , , and et al 1).”Abortion comes from the Latin word abortio, which means to abort, miscarry .... [tags: Argument Against Abortion]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- Abortions: To abort or not abort 60 % of women in this world choose to get abortions, this is per year, and the other 40% are either birthed or miscarried. Now, what if every 9 out of 10 females had an abortion. Although abortions are common throughout the world, some people don 't have reasons behind abortions. We have some people that are against abortion then we have some who are not against it. Murder seems to be the result of an abortion. Society is overlooking the outcome of abortions and still allowing people to take part in this cruel activity.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Birth control, Murder]
1492 words (4.3 pages)
- ABORTION Why do young adults have abortions. Are they aware that this action affects not only themselves or the child that is being aborted, but it affects numerous of people witnessing this devastation. Abortion is a major issue in present society and will most certainly be discussed and brought to a conclusion on whether this action should be allowed in the society as being legal or immediately ceased through an enforced law by the courts. According to the U.S Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, “About 43% of American women will have one (or occasionally more) abortions during their lifetime.... [tags: reducing abortions, unborn child]
2634 words (7.5 pages)
- Many people have strongly expressed their opinion about their disapproval of abortion, calling it an “infanticide” and much worse. Well, I don’t believe that eliminating a group of unwanted cluster of cells and tissue from the uterus is “unimaginably immoral, grotesque, and evil.” (Huckabee, 2015) What I do believe is evil is denying a woman the right to access safe and proper healthcare for her own body because of one’s ridiculous beliefs. Abortions have been around for many years; however, the procedure was not always legal in the United States.... [tags: Abortion, Roe v. Wade, Pregnancy, Human rights]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- For many reasons, I believe that Abortions should be Illegal. Abortion has become popular in America, but abortions should not be legal under certain circumstances. Abortions should only be allowed in cases of rape, and should not be used as a method of contraceptives. Not only is it a form of murder, but it also defies the word of God, and causes psychological damage on the unborn babies mother’s. Many people think that having an abortion is simple. But little do these people know, the mothers go through more than they expect.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Human rights, Fetus]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- Abortions are one of the many things that everyone has an opinion on. As defined by the 2012 Merriam-Webster dictionary, an Encyclopedia Britannica Company, an abortion is, “the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus as a spontaneous expulsion of a human fetus during the first 12 weeks of gestation--miscarriage, the induced expulsion of a human fetus, or the expulsion of a fetus by a domestic animal often due to infection at any time before completion of pregnancy.” Abortions have always been and will probably always be a controversial topic in which everyone will not agree upon.... [tags: Abortion Pro Choice Essays]
3801 words (10.9 pages)
- Many young, teen girls experience the harmful psychological effects of having an abortion. Though many people are against abortions, it is still being done. Teen’s attitudes and demeanor about themselves change drastically once they have had an abortion. The abortion has several side effects that a teen may or may not know how to cope with it. These girls experience a sense of withdraw, quilt and self destruction. In the past two years many law-makers and statesmen have opposed abortion. Many states have set requirements for clinics and other facilities out of reach for continued services.... [tags: Birth, Pregnancy]
709 words (2 pages)
- Why Abortions Must Be Legal No matter how any of us feel about embryos and fetuses and their "rights"...about women and sex and responsibility...about God's will, Karma, or the Bible...the fact still remains: Women have always used abortion as a last resort to prevent the birth of a child, and they always will, regardless of what the laws say or the rest of us think. But when abortion is illegal, it is unsafe and dangerous.... [tags: Papers]
2661 words (7.6 pages)
- Against Abortion Why is it that by 21 days into the fetal development the baby's heart begins to beat, but yet in most people's eyes the baby is still not 'technically' alive' That heart beat means nothing, it doesn't represent a human person whom God has created in his own image and has had a plan for that baby ever since the beginning of time. To most people that statement isn?t allowing women and their families freedom of choice. And yet that baby isn't given any say in its freedom to live.... [tags: Abortion Against Pro-Life Essays Argumentative]
1918 words (5.5 pages)