The controversy over abortion has been an ongoing argument for decades. An abortion is defined by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus. Abortions have been practiced for as long as woman have been conceiving. However, it wasn’t until the 1820’s until the very first laws outlawing abortions were brought about. According to an article written by Jone Johnson Lewis, in the United States, the first law was the act of “forbidding abortion after the fourth month of pregnancy”. However, abortions were very different back then. Commonly known as “Back Alley Abortions”, many times women would develop bad infections or illnesses due to unsanitary and dangerous abortion methods. Thousands of women died or suffered serious medical problems after struggling to self-induce their own abortions, or going to untra...
... middle of paper ...
...d. "Cartoons." Abortion and the clash of world views. Fred Hutchison, 9 Sept.
2004. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Johnson-Lewis, Jone. "Abortion History." About.com Women's History. About.com, n.d. Web.
15 Nov. 2013.
Lowen, Linda. "10 Abortion Arguments: 10 Arguments For Abortion, 10 Arguments Against
Abortion." About.com Women's Issues. About.com, 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
Marsh, Beezy. "Girls using abortion as birth control and having up to FOUR terminations by the
age of 18." Mail Online. N.p., 26 Dec. 2009. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
Merino, Noël. Abortion. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2012. Print.
"National Abortion Federation: History of Abortion." National Abortion Federation: History of
Abortion. National Abortion Federation, 2010. Web. 15 Nov. 2013.
Pavone, Frank A. "The Bible's Teaching Against Abortion." Abortion. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many people are against abortions because it is immoral, however, many fetuses have gone through this horrible procedure. In the 14th amendment, it states that a woman has the right to determine whether or not to bear a child. Abortion isn’t the only answer to get rid of a “problem” that happened. People have to think that adoption is always an option for a couple or even a single mother. The fetus has human characteristics and is just like a human being. Somebody has to speak up for the fetus’s since they don’t have a voice or opinion in today’s society.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Childbirth, Human]
2246 words (6.4 pages)
- What is abortion. Abortion is clearly defined as the termination of a human pregnancy. This procedure is most often performed within the first 28 weeks of the pregnancy cycle. Abortion can be looked at as wrong, morally and lawfully, in many perspectives of persons in today’s society. However, The abortion procedure is moral until proof shines through. Abortion is not a murder, it is ruled constitutional, and it is typically a woman’s choice whether to bring her pregnancy to term or not. Therefore, the proof of abortion being unethical lacks.... [tags: pro-choice, ethics, politics]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- For centuries society has placed their own opinions on the topic of abortion. Some claim to be Pro Choice, and believe that the decision should lie only in the hands of the woman carrying the child. Others are Pro Life, and say that abortion is unethical and is considered as a form of homicide. All depending on one’s human dignity, the argument differs. Human dignity is the sense of self-worth and self-respect that one inhabits. With this being said, the way one feels about themselves as a human-being, as well as other human-beings, has an effect on one’s outlook on abortion.... [tags: Argument Against Abortion]
1514 words (4.3 pages)
- Since the 1973 Roe v. Wade supreme court case, Abortion has become a frequently discussed topic amongst people. Abortion is the intentional termination of pregnancy, typically it is done early in the pregnancy, but it has occasionally been done late term, though in those cases they are more for the safety of the mother. There are many different views on Abortion and the question of its morality, though there are three philosophers who able to eloquently express some of those views. Those philosophers being Don Marquis, who believes that abortions are immoral and should be illegal, Judith Jarvis Thomson who agrees with Marquis that the fetus has some rights, but also says that the rights of... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Religion, Abortion debate]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- “Is abortion moral or immoral?” We yet have not acquired an answer to this question. Infer by that, we defend about the nature and the moral status of the fetus. In the other word, should we or should we not. Don Marquis as well as Bonnie Steinbock embraces with the argument of their own, which point out the morality of abortion. Don Marquis upholds the fact of since abortion deprives the fetus of a future like ours therefore most abortion is morally wrong. He adheres in his article “abortion is, except possibly in rare cases, seriously immoral”, what he meant was that not all abortions are wrong.... [tags: Abortion Essays]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Why Abortion is Immoral by Don Marquis is an essay that claims that abortion is morally wrong, and uses one argument in particular to explain why. He argues that many of us would agree that it is wrong to kill a human, and if you believe that then you should also have that view on abortions. If you think killing is wrong then you think all killing is wrong and the persons biological state, whether it is when a person is a fetus, one years old, or thirty years old, makes no difference. He then explains that killing is wrong not only because it is immoral, but wrong because it deprives the victim of life and the enjoyments one would have otherwise experienced; which Marquis believes is the gr... [tags: fetus, sperm, ovum]
1273 words (3.6 pages)
- Abortion is Immoral " If you wish to uphold basic human justice, you must do so for everyone- not just selectively for the people that your side, your culture, your nation designates as OK." Edward Said The basic beliefs of Pro-life defendants Human rights for human beings: Pro-lifers believe that human beings have right since they are alive. Medical research proves that the fetus is a living organism from the moment of conception (Gargaro). During conception, a sperm with 23 chromosomes joins an egg with 23 chromosomes, forming a 46-chromosome cell with all the genetic code (DNA) for a distinct human being.... [tags: Papers]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- The right to life The article A Defense of Abortion written by Judith Thomson and the article Why Abortion is Immoral by Don Marquis deal with the arguments of whether abortion is moral, immoral, justified or not. The author Don Marquis wants to prove that abortion is immoral without taking into consideration extreme cases, while Thomson says that abortion is justified in some cases. The latter supports her arguments by saying that abortion is justified in cases such as rape and when the mother’s life, which is the most important here, is in danger.... [tags: Ethics, Morality, Abortion, Human]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- In this paper, my aim is to argue that Don Marquis ' claim that abortions are immoral is flawed due to the objection of contraception. Marquis ' argument is built around the idea that morality on killing a human being is not based on taking away the victim 's life but rather through taking away their valuable future. "The category that is morally central to this analysis is the category of having a valuable future like ours; it is not the category of personhood"( Marquis, 192). He elaborates on this notion by reasoning that, except in extreme circumstances, killing an adult human is morally wrong because "killing inflicts (one of) the greatest possible losses on the victim...The change in b... [tags: Morality, Human, Sperm, Fertility]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Abortion is Murder and Immoral In Americas Society Abortion is a topic that most people rather not face. More and more abortions occur everyday, causing potential lives to be terminated due to irresponsible sexual activity among adults and teens. Abortions cheats the unborn child of his or hers existence and unknown experiences to come. Abortions are quick escape goats for irresponsible individuals and cause pain, suffering, and death. I t is against the law and immoral to kill another human being, and by terminating a fetus you are performing another act of killing.... [tags: Papers]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- Gendered Media: The Journey to Gender Identity
- The Effects of Coronary Artery Disease and the Effects it has on its Victims
- our language in 500 years
- Access to Legal Pathways
- A Brief History of Piano Greats and Jazz
- A Formalist Guide to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone: Mikhail Bakhtin's Novel Form