One of the most controversial topics in America with definite opposing sides is abortion. The definition of abortion by the Oxford Dictionaries is: the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first twenty-eight weeks of pregnancy. The main argument, when if comes to abortion is the issue of life and death. Pro-choice defenders say that a woman has a right to do whatever they want with their bodies. Pro-life believers say that when a woman chooses abortion, they are murdering an innocent being. There is a grey area where some pro-life people agree that when a woman is raped or there are serious health concerns, then abortion should be allowed. Other pro-life people say that no matter what it is not acceptable, even when the mother may die. According to abortion.procon.org, “In May 2014, Gallup reported that forty-six percent of Americans consider themselves pro-life and forty-seven percent pro-choice. Gallup also found that more American’s think abortion should be “legal under any circumstances” fifty percent of Americans say abortions should be “legal only under certain circumstances.”
There are two main ways to perform an abortion. The most common type of abortion a person thinks of being surgical. This is when a device is used to remove the fetus from a mother, which is called aspiration. With aspiration a tube is inserted into the uterus and a gentle suction removes the fetal tissue. Another type of abortion women can use is called medical abortion. This occurs when a woman takes a medicine to induce the abortion. Normally there is more than one step to this process and more than likely more than one doctor visit as well. This kind of abortion needs to be done early on in a woman’...
... middle of paper ...
... on in the senate, while Planned Parenthood is fighting to keep their funding.
Abortion is the topic in America that almost every person will have strong feelings about and decide their side to stand with. Once a person’s mind is made up, it rarely will change on the highly emotional topic. There are many things to consider when facing the different choices a woman has during an unplanned pregnancy. Although abortion may seem to some as an easy way out, it can carry serious consequences for the woman. A person who chooses this route can have years of emotional or physical repercussions. Although, the same can be said for the woman who chooses to bring a child they are ill prepared for into the world. Not only can the child suffer a great deal, but also there is a financial strain on the working class who may have to end up helping in the support of these children.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abortion Abortion is a subject that rises controversy throughout the United States. Pro-life groups protest the practice in peaceful and others in violent acts. Pro-choice groups feel that it is the woman’s choice to decide if abortion is right for her, and religious groups feel that abortion is murder of the fetus and against God’s will. The word abortion by definition, the deliberate termination of a human fetus during pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy. Abortion is an extremely controversial issue because while some people are completely against it, others believe that a woman should have the right to make her own choice.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Roe v. Wade, Fertility]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Abortion has been a controversial issue that goes back to about 50 years ago. Many people have different opinions on whether it should be legal to abort at any time a woman does not want her baby. Others believe a woman should not abort the fetus and that it’s considered a life and act against God. There are many opinions about this topic and its one of the biggest problems our country is facing. Let’s begin with what abortion means. Abortion in medical terms is the termination and or removal of the fetus from the womb.... [tags: Abortion, Human rights, Pregnancy, Roe v. Wade]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- Abortion One of the most controversial topics in America with definite opposing sides is abortion. The definition of abortion by the Oxford Dictionaries is: the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first twenty-eight weeks of pregnancy. The main argument, when if comes to abortion is the issue of life and death. Pro-choice defenders say that a woman has a right to do whatever they want with their bodies. Pro-life believers say that when a woman chooses abortion, they are murdering an innocent being.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus, Roe v. Wade]
1406 words (4 pages)
- In the United States, the topic of abortion is very controversial. On one hand, there are people that believe that every baby, no matter how developed, has the right to life no matter what instance the mother may find herself in. On the other, we have a group of people that are for the mother having the right to make the decision to terminate the baby’s life or to save it. Both sides pull arguments based on religion, politics and science to form their opinions on whether the termination of a baby’s life is just or unjust.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Abortion debate]
1524 words (4.4 pages)
- To kill an unborn baby with dreadful procedures is an immoral way to handle an unwanted pregnancy and should be illegal. Abortion has been a controversial issue since the 1960s. One of the duties of the U.S government is to protect lives of the innocent and this includes the ones of unborn babies. Fetuses have potential lives and deserve a chance in the world. Voluntarily killing a guiltless human without a reason regarding health concerns for either the woman or child is unethical. Abortion is an unsafe procedure.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Fetus, Fertility]
1869 words (5.3 pages)
- Woman Empowering their Decisions In recent discussions of abortion, the controversial issue has become whether women should be given the right to take their unborn child’s life away. Many believe in all having the right of life, those born and unborn. While others remain affirmative in the right to be given an alternative meaning the right to abort an unborn child. Women demonstrate a refusal to be given restrictions, they desire the power to have a voice when constructing a decision. With abortion women may experience complications when composing a decision that is based upon judgement others give with the selection of abortion which results to difficulty in discovery of a place for medi... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Human rights]
1040 words (3 pages)
- The topic of abortion has been a controversial issue in America and each side cannot come to an agreement. Many people believe women should be able to make their own decision because it is their own body and because the baby is not born yet so it is not a human. While others believe once the fetus is formed, it is considered a human and has individual rights, and that aborting that baby is murder. Today, about twenty one percent of pregnancies will end with an abortion. Abortion must be illegal unless the safety of the women is in jeopardy, or due to rape or incest.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Childbirth, Fetus]
1247 words (3.6 pages)
- Protecting Abortion Laws Abortion is an extremely controversial issue and one that is continually on the forefront of debates. Those who oppose the idea (Pro-lifers), thinks it is an act of woman playing “God” who live from who dies. Yet, whether an unborn baby constitutes a normal person is questionable; a pregnant woman, on the other hand, has the undeniable right to choose whether she wants to have a child or not. Therefore, the decision to have an abortion is the personal choice and responsibility of the woman, because prohibiting abortion impedes freedom of choice and endangers the physical and mental health of women.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Childbirth, Fetus]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- Abortion Everything is all dark, cozy, and warm. You are in the most comfortable environment you 've ever known and everything is pure bliss as you are currently living in the womb. Then in one violent moment, you feel the greatest amount of pain imaginable and you can see this blinding light and then your limbs are ripped apart from your body and you are now struggling to survive. In one quick snap of a rubber band, it 's all over. Your life is done. Your only thought was 'mommy, how could you do this to me '.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus, Reproduction]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- The Controversial Issue of Abortion Abortion is a very controversial issue in society today. Some people think that abortion is a good idea to solve problems and that it is justified yet the Catholic Church would argue this is not the case and that abortion is wrong. There are some very strong arguments both for and against abortion. There are two methods of abortion: 1) The Suction Method: This is used for early abortions up to 12 weeks after conception. This is where a sectional like object is inserted and tears the baby limb by limb.... [tags: Christian Catholic Religion Abortion Papers]
943 words (2.7 pages)