For many, school simply seems too easy. And these aren’t the extra-bright students who are supposed to find that school is not challenging enough; these are the ones who either get easy ‘A’s, or settle for less. When students aren’t being pushed, they tend to gain an apathetic attitude towards their schoolwork, resulting in poor grades that leave little effect on them. Some schools are taking grading seriously. “Other parents said they suspected their child was doing worse than the marks implied, but it was unclear how the students were being assessed, so why rock the boat?” (The New York Times). Why was it unclear how the students were being assessed? Or was it plain, but the parents choose to not...
... middle of paper ...
... similar situations. It’s not fair to use these as models for other schools since the kids are exceptionally motivated and the schools often get more funding.
The education process has turned into a series of broken chinks that fail to effectively teach all students. While even I, previously so blind to the multitude of situations that surround students, was aware that something seemed amiss about our education system. I have personal accounts of classes being too simple for me, while my math courses made my brain feel too twisted around difficult concepts, concepts that are taught at too rapid of a pace. Then I have had some classes that require critical thinking, and those have truly left an impression on me; despite those being substantially more difficult. They say that education paves the way to a successful life, so it’s important to have it be taught right.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The world is run by those who are educated and successful. To be successful, one has to be educated. Yet, according to National Center for Education Statistics [NCES], as of 2009 the dropout rate of 16-24 year olds is 8.1%. Thus, the data proves the US does not have as many young people with even a high school diploma. Leading industries in today’s world such as Apple and Microsoft were created by people who did not graduate from college, but that doesn't mean everyone out of 8.1% will create a company that will determine tomorrows business.... [tags: Education]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- Cognitive learning is an essential part of the developmental process. It is a process that enables people to learn by using perception, intuition, and reason. It has become an importance to understanding how the cognitive learning process changes throughout the human lifespan to fully comprehend how we think and process information. Many factors such as education, culture, and upbringing contribute to a persons ' behavior. Therefore, cognitive learning involves understanding how these factors influence behavior and then using that information to understand how the learning process changes throughout the human life span.... [tags: Psychology, Knowledge, Developmental psychology]
889 words (2.5 pages)
- The goal of an education is to gain knowledge to help improve one’s understanding of the world. If we shy away from topics like racism and cultural diversity, then we risk not being able to understand a huge part of the way our world works. Consider this: are all the people we converse with in a day the same ethnicity. Are they all from the same cultural background. If they all are the same ethnicity or from the same cultural background, then one might not need to understand why cultural diversity affects how someone would respond to a problem or situation.... [tags: Education, Question, Teacher, Culture]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- The goal of an education is to gain knowledge to help improve one’s understanding of the world. If we shy away from topics like racism and cultural diversity, then we risk not being able to understand a huge part of the way our world works. Consider this: are all the people we converse with in a day the same ethnicity. Are they all from the same cultural background. If they all are the same ethnicity or from the same cultural background, then one might not need to understand why cultural diversity affects how someone would respond to a problem or situation.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Race, Survival of the fittest]
1294 words (3.7 pages)
- Physical Education Physical education has been taught in the United Sates since the nineteenth century, though some believe that physical education should not be mandated in a student’s education. Physical education is how schools teach students on the proper ways to stay physically fit, and forces students to get active during the school day. There are many academic benefits to students staying active during the school day. Physical education also helps students with far more than just staying in shape.... [tags: Obesity, Exercise, Physical education, Education]
1798 words (5.1 pages)
- Education has always been one of the valuable components for teaching children knowledge to enhance their development of ethical, social and moral values which often prepares them for the lifelong journey ahead as an adult in today’s workforce (buzzle.com). However, the level of academic achievement by students and faculty in school across the United States slowly started to decrease for numerous years. During a twenty year span, teachers were often allowed to teach different subjects than what college had not prepared them.... [tags: Education]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- During an observation, there three types of first grade students that were observing a gifted, typical and special need. Some common characteristics of a typical first grade student they may ask many questions, very social, interest in learning, bossy with friends, enjoy doing projects and very energetic. They also understanding of their testing behavior and interested in learning, enjoy art, riddles and poems (Responsive Classroom, 2011). Some characteristics of a gifted student have strong curiosity, high level of language and verbal development, great capacity to process information and have long attention span.... [tags: Education, Psychology, Developmental psychology]
1100 words (3.1 pages)
- The education system that I went through in my high school career felt like an experience that every child underwent. I saw other teens, as well as myself, struggle to complete the assignments and projects given to us by our teachers. We had a hard time reading and writing essays that evolved over learning a philosophical insight. We gave it our best effort to convince our parents or families to “chip in” money into our lives, so that way we can buy school supplies. The reality that I lived my entire high school career was brutal in every way.... [tags: education system, high school]
1435 words (4.1 pages)
- John Keating, a student at Welton Academy inspired his fellow classmates, to meet in caves and read challenging poetry of the past, not with flashcards, but with these words, “Now, my class, you will learn to think for yourselves again. You will learn to savor words and language. No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.” Typically, students do not hear enough of this type of passion in a traditional classroom. However, a progressive classroom, be it a cave or college can inspire students to memorize facts, not because they have to, but rather because they want to for the betterment of humanity.... [tags: Education]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- My name is Destiny Smith and the major that I have chosen to master is education (specifically Early Childhood Education). The reason why I selected to peruse the field of education, because I feel like I would do a better job molding a young child’s mind, when it comes to education. Because, I am passionate about children and education I have confidence in and would be the perfect candidate for perusing a teaching career. As I continue to prepare myself to become a teacher I have reflected on how I can be an effective and successful in my classroom.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School]
1412 words (4 pages)
- A Classroom And Behavior Management Pl Harry Wong 's Book And The Love And Logic Program
- My Experience With A Registered Nurse ( Bsn ) At The Age Of 22
- Analysis Of The Book ' Jab, Jab Right Hook '
- St. Augustine Of Hippo
- A Report On Mobile Friendly Websites
- Electronic Currency : A Form Of Digital Currency