This is the third semesters I study in UC Berkeley. During the past one year and a half, there are many distinguished professors, helpful GSIs, and nice advisors in civil engineering department really help me a lot on both academic study and life in campus.
All the professors are unforgettable though few of them are not good at teaching class, but if could give an award to one of my professor, I will choose professor Jack P. Moehle. There are several reasons for my choosing. The first and most important one is his teaching method. I took his CE 120 and CE123 classes in 2016. The materials coverages of these two classes are a lot, but at the end of each semester, professor Moehle can finish all the topics in the syllabus. The paces of the lectures are not so fast or slow. The best part of his lecture is that he will explain the basic conceptions of the topic at first. Then he will summary the steps and equations we need to solve the sort of questions relative to the topic which is covered in the lecture. After that, he will show an example of the topic step by step. At the end of the class, he will do a summary of the lecture of each class. Moreover, professor Moehle is very good at board-writing. His board-writing and lecture note are very clear. Secondly, his office hour is very useful and worth to listen. He could explain your question exactly and make sure you understand it. Meanwhile, he will extend your questions to tell you some backgrounds and why the building code requirement like this. Last, but not least, his homework problems and midterm problems is helpful for student to understand the materials of the class.
There are also many staffs in the department help me a lot during the three semes...
... middle of paper ...
...s, I think the basic required courses in Civil Engineering department is too much. For example, if I choose SEMS as my emphasis, the course CE 11 does not help me a lot, if I choose Environment as my emphasis, the course CE 60 is redundant. This does not mean these courses are not helpful, but if I do not take the relative direction courses, after two or three semesters, I will totally forget most of the knowledges I learn in these kinds of courses. I think we’d better to create several groups of courses as required courses, and the courses in same group focus on the same emphasis. Thus, we could choose a certain group of courses to take as basic requirement.
Above all are some my experience, view and some suggestions I have during these three semesters study in UC Berkeley. Hope these experiences could help the department improve the program in Civil Engineering.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My first semester at The University of Mobile has been pretty great. College has been easier than I thought it would be. I thought there would be a lot more work, but so far it’s basically the same work load as high school, if not less. My professors have all been great and I’ve yet to be locked out of class for being late, not that I’m late often and if I am it’s by about a minute. T.V shows and movies seem to make college seem a lot different than it really is. There’s definitely not parties 24/7, but even if there were I most likely wouldn’t be at them.... [tags: High school, College, Class, The Work]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- As I entered my second semester at Boston University, it was time for me to enroll in a writing seminar. I chose to enroll in WR100 B2: Indiana Jones, Ancient Bones, and Culture Bought and Sold. I chose this course because I thought that it would be interesting to learn about the role of history in today’s society. Our first assignment was to assess our writing skills, as well as to list some goals that we had for ourselves. As I wrote this assessment, I looked back at my high school writing career and believed myself to be a solid writer.... [tags: Writing, Paper, Conscription in the United States]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
Impact of Semester and Annual System of Examination on Students in University of Lahore and Saeeda College of Nursing
- Title: Impact of semester and annual system of examination on students in University of Lahore and Saeeda Waheed college of nursing. Introduction: According to Dr Munshi (2112)The examination means testing and estimating one’s ability and performance. It also means to test the knowledge of a student through written or oral questions based on the prescribed syllabus provided for the test within a specified period of time’ (Collins & O'Brien, 2011). Annual system of examination is that system in which the examinations are conducted at the end of each academic year.... [tags: university education assessments systems]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- In evaluating a student’s study schedule at a university compared to what a professor expects, there is an obvious link between studying and learning as established by high exam scores and course grades. But these studies do not provide specifics of how exactly students should study. Research suggests that good study behaviors predict academic success. But what exactly are “good study behaviors” and how do professor expectations compare to student expectations of study time required for expected performance—that is, “good” grades.... [tags: Education, Learning, University, Homework]
1407 words (4 pages)
- My semester as a Teaching Assistant was one of my outstanding accomplishments. This was a new position open for the first time to undergraduates; and the professors’ selection was based on overall performance where I exhibited a prodigious work ethic. The professors felt I was dependable and hardworking since they observed that I paid attention, took notes, asked questions, and satisfactorily completed papers and exams. These actions plus completion of extra credit work such as participating in a study observing red wolves in the wild for a weekend, showed that I excelled to be the best and that I wanted to learn everything they were teaching.... [tags: University, Education, College, Doctorate]
706 words (2 pages)
- PURPOSE BACKGROUND Universiti Teknologi MARA Universiti Teknologi MARA or UiTM, established in 1956. UITM can be considered as the largest university in the Malaysia with a main campus, three cable campuses, 12 branch campuses, six city campuses, 25 affiliated campuses and a smart campus for the future. Presently, the Shah Alam campus is host to 45% of the total 100,000 students. Information system management(ISM) is the one of the course that offered by Universiti Teknologi MARA.ISM is the study of people, technology, organizations and the relationships among them.... [tags: university evaluation and comparison]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Throughout my high school career, my main focus was maintaining a high grade point average in rigorous college level classes. I dedicated several hours each day to every course that I took to ensure that I was comfortable with the material I learned. As Vince Lombardi Jr. once said, every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it, and we all should autograph our work with excellence. I consider that having a positive attitude and working hard is essential to be successful. Although I spent most of my time studying, I was able to get involved in any extracurricular activities such as the Brown Book Club as well as compete in the National Book Club Competition among other high schools al... [tags: High school, University, Study abroad, Education]
709 words (2 pages)
- My first semester at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte has been everything that I expected it to be. I knew it would be strenuous to move to a new city totally different from what I had grown up in. I also know that this would put a strain on making new friends, keeping up with my social life, maintaining a healthy mental and physical and healthy lifestyle, and achieving my goals - nonetheless, I have managed to do all of these things and have a splendid time doing so. My main goals were to make it on the dean’s list, join a church and a Christian organization, make new friends, and volunteer often.... [tags: Goal, Term, Time, Management]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Proposed timeline The timeline for this proposal will follow the spring 2016 semester schedule at Western Carolina University, with a sixteen week timeframe. The researcher will prepare all necessary forms for the observations, interviews, inventory, and family questionnaires to fit this research. In conjunction with the research forms, teachers will organize applicable lesson plans, science activities, and complete the science center reorganization. The first week will serve as a form preparation week.... [tags: Research, Scientific method, Science]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- College Debts In order to obtain that piece of paper they call a degree now-a-days, you are looking at paying up to $9,410 a year for instate tuition and a whopping $23,893 a year for out-of-state students. (COLLEGEdata). The costs of attending a university can be traumatizing and extremely stressful to just think about. 70% of America’s population that obtain a bachelor degree graduate with student loan debt. (Student Loan Hero). On top of maintaining grades and scholarships while also possibly balancing an extracurricular activity, students also have to worry about their student loans.... [tags: Debt, University, Education finance]
1248 words (3.6 pages)