Portal was the spiritual successor of a Digipen graduate’s project Narbacular Drop. A game featuring Princess NoKnees a young girl who is incapable of jumping trying to escape an elaborate dungeon with the help of dimensional doors to navigate through the dungeon’s gauntlets and mazes.
Once Valve was shown the footage of the game they hired the team making Narbacular Drop to make for them a game of its like. With some major aesthetic changes tweaking and help from the half-life 2 engine, Portal was forged.
Valve is a well known game development company that has brought games like Half-Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead. These games have quite a community behind them. They have these strange standards for releasing games. Where Half-Life’s sequel took a long time to make, scrap and remake. A game like Left 4 Dead 2 was added near instantly. At the time they were creating a package that released Half-Life2 it’s expansions, Team Fortress 2 and the newly added Portal to consoles as well as PC.
Portal has players literally jump through hoops as they solve puzzles in life threatening gauntlets to outsmart an all-knowing AI and escape her laboratory of “tests” and deathtraps laid in the relentless pursuit of science.
You use portals instead of doors to navigate the laboratory’s treacherous and deadly puzzles. It’s more of a puzzle game, but from the first person perspective. The game grants you a portable portal device, or portal gun, that runs on no ammo, and doesn’t shoot bullets, rockets or lasers of mass destruction. The portal gun does shoot holes, quantum space holes really, that if targeted at qualifying surfaces produces literally a loophole from one place you shoot a portal, to ...
... middle of paper ...
...portals to utilize and I’m kind of forced to explore and take in the environment.
Wonderful game to play, but don’t expect it to keep you up at night.
Wait a minute. I was just told that puzzles aren’t games. That means I did a paper on a puzzle.
Valve Official Portal 2 Website- Blog Updated September 30th 2011 Viewed October 3rd, 2011
The Orange Box
John Funk, “Portal Has A New Ending” escapistmagazine.com 03 March 2010 web. 03 October 2011
The Escapist: Video Gallery: Zero Punctuation: Portal 2
Andy Chalk “Portal Writer Enough With the Cake” escapistmagazine.com 18 June 2010 web. 03 October 2011
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Pirate Charles Review January 23rd, 2010 Black Bart King of the Caribbean Pirates would be proud of his piracy progeny. Sea fairing bandits in the form of a folk band would have entertained the ruthless brigand with Celtic songs drinking the night away with a cup a tea. The prolific pioneer who clutched onto vessel after vessel affirmed his campaign against the world and anyone who sailed in his way; The Pirate Charles [TPC] takes another approach. One can fly their freak flag or a pirate flag and be accepted nonetheless.... [tags: Music Review]
1033 words (3 pages)
- A New York Times Review of “Paid in Full” Hello my readers, I know you must have been surprised when you saw this review on the listing of our website, movies.nytimes.com. But only six and a half years ago a movie came out which did not generate outstanding revenue in the box office, being released domestically and only earring $3,090,862. I assume those of you who did see the movie in 2002 have probably forgotten about it by now, and I was not working for the New York Times, so I would like to revisit this film.... [tags: Film Review]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- There were several reasons why I decided to get a Sega Saturn, and one of them was to experience the unpredictable mind of Kenji Eno, founder of the dearly departed developer Warp. Never heard of Warp. I wouldn't be surprised. Their reputation has faded into nothing more than a piece of video game trivia from the mid-to-late 1990s. An esoteric Japanese game developer, Warp was helmed by Eno and taken in some rather interesting directions. Their first stateside release was Puyo Puyo rip-off Trip'd on the 3DO, which I guarantee no one here has heard of or played.... [tags: Game Review]
1352 words (3.9 pages)
- ... This kind of breakfast has more advantage to regulating mood, alertness and attention because glucose and insulin in the body are more stable (Yao, Shun, Guo, Hui &Jian, 2011). In order to maintain a better condition throughout the day, a meal with the combination of protein and carbohydrates is the better choice. Protein steadies blood sugar levels while carbohydrate significant to offer energy which means that combining these two type of nutrition in the morning would lead to more ideal performance.... [tags: mood, concentration, protein]
608 words (1.7 pages)
- Weighted Objectives Our facility has given weight to the top four considerations for a CPOE system. Equally important to us is a system geared both towards the safety of our residents and user friendly for adoption so a weighted value of 30% has been given to each requirement. Security and HIPPA compliance, although a must, is somewhat assumed to be the industry standard of information systems and applications, and we have given its value as 25%. Finally, the ability to interface with other systems and applications, although a ways down the road is a requirement that we must take into consideration and this was given a value of 15%.... [tags: Medical Information, Geriatric Resident]
1841 words (5.3 pages)
- Scenario: Customers rave about the vast selection, fast shipping, and customer review option for each and every product on the Amazon.com website. The Fortune 500 e-commerce website, headquartered in Seattle, Washington, is the largest internet-based retailer in the United States. Customers are well informed about their purchase with customer reviews and Amazon has competitive prices. Amazon is one of the most successful businesses of our era and most valuable retailer of the country (Kantor & Streitfield, 2015).... [tags: Strategic management, Amazon.com]
1459 words (4.2 pages)
- Steven Gregory’s book entitled The Devil Behind The Mirror is an ethnographical study of the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is in the Caribbean, it occupies the Western half of an island, while Haiti makes up the Eastern portion. Gregory attempts to study and analyze the political, social and cultural aspects of this nation by interviewing and observing both the tourists and locals of two towns Boca Chica and Andres. Gregory’s research centers on globalization and the transnational processes which affect the political and socio-economics of the Dominican Republic.... [tags: Dominican Culture]
2359 words (6.7 pages)
- The BBC History website is very eclectic, covering an immense range of history and as a resource, it could be suggested that it is a victim of trying to appeal all levels of historical interest from the academic to the mildly interested. It has been variously described as relevant and fascinating , a useful research tool , catering to the non-specialist whilst including valuable material for the historical researcher . As a site there is an obvious preference given to any historical programming by the BBC be it television or radio and such programming is also available through the iPlayer facility.... [tags: websites, BBC, history, ]
1978 words (5.7 pages)
- Today, Information Technology revolutionized our life almost in every filed. One of among several blessing of information technology is Internet Banking services that brings ease and comfort for our banking activities. Over few years Internet Banking has evolved as convenient, self-serviced technology, cost-reducing and time saving channel. Internet banking is available 24x7 across geographies. In last few years, the number of internet banking users has been increasing rapidly. In present hyper competitive environment internet banking works as a competitive differentiator among banks.... [tags: internet banking, banking sector, banks]
1810 words (5.2 pages)
- The Problem with the Existing Architecture: The company has multiple standalone computing solutions and applications which it acquired through the purchase of provider companies. These systems are not fully integrated and are not compatible. They do not share data in real time making communication, access, and interoperability difficult. The current system does not provide a well designed and unified solution for customers. The different provider companies that XYZCorp has acquired currently have their own customer relationship management (CRM) systems.... [tags: essays research papers]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Nuclear Energy
- The Student Athlete Association and Subsidized Payment of College Athletes
- Comparative Study of SAR from Mobile Phones With and Without Headset
- Delta Airlines: Past, Present, and Future
- MALAYSIAN HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION APPLYING CLOUD COMPUTING STRATEGY TO STAY COMPETITIVE IN THE EDUCATIONAL INDUSTRY
- Amazon's New Store: Utility Computing