To become a veterinarian in Canada, you must start early and take as many science related classes, math and english in high school. After that you must complete a 4 year Bachelor’s degree at any university, preferably with an emphasis on pre-vet related classes like cell biology, biochemistry and zoology, to name a few. You must also pass your MCATs (Medical College Admission Test) at some point during your undergraduate studies. Acceptance into a Veterinary College is highly competitive as well as very difficult. It is even more so than for human doctors because of the larger variety of species veterinarians work with. There are 5 Veterinary Colleges in Canada, located in Prince Edward Island, Québec, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta. After receiving a DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), some may also choose to specialize in a variety of specialties. Every province has their own licensing boards and it is the CVMA (Canadian Veterinary Medical Association) that is the national voice representing veterinarians in Canada.
To become a veterinary technician in Canada, you must take many science related classes like biology and chemistry, math and english. Some colleges need proof of rabies vaccines as well as up to 80 hours of volunteering in an animal shelter or clinic. After being accepted in the program you will spend 2 years studying plus a 6 week practicum (hands-on work). At the end of all of this, you must pass the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Examination), ...
... middle of paper ...
...rinarians can also be employed in laboratories where animals are used to ensure their safety as well as the ethical treatment of these animals. They work with many species, from small animals like cats and dogs to exotic ones like monkeys.
Veterinarians employed in zoo’s work with a wide variety of animals from all over the world. Many of them also have an avid interest in conservation and travel all over the world to participate on projects.
Some veterinarians choose to open their own private practices that minister to only a few species to a mixed practice that cater to many different species. Although it may seem nice to be your own boss, it is not easy to run your own practice because you have to worry about your employees salaries, insurance coverage, malpractice insurance and the cost of buying all the necessary equipment and medication.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One of the most intriguing fields of work is veterinary medicine, and although it may be stressful, hazardous, strenuous, and bittersweet at times it all pays off in the end knowing you’re becoming the voice of many helpless animals. 1Veterinarians are responsible for the health of all sorts of animals in all kinds of places.7 They also help protect humans from diseases that could be transferred from animals to humans such as rabies or salmonella poisoning. Becoming a veterinarian is extremely interesting because there are so many different areas to specialize in like dentistry, zoology, and even orthopedics, and if you become bored with a certain area there is always a new and exciting fi... [tags: Veterinary medicine, Veterinarian, The Animals]
1535 words (4.4 pages)
- Unlike most other applicants or even some of my fellow classmates I did not always know I wanted to be a veterinarian. My aspirations in veterinary medicine developed later in life. When I started college I choose to take a pre-med concentration. I always knew I wanted to help others and encouraged by family I decided to be a medical doctor. While in school, I realized that of all my favorite classes’ where animal based such as comparative anatomy and physiology. I was often encouraged by my advisor to switch from a biomedical concentration to a natural science one because all the courses I wanted to take fell under a natural science concentration, such as animal behavior and mammalogy.... [tags: Veterinary medicine, Veterinarian, Medicine]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- A Veterinary Technician is the main source of help for a Veterinary Doctor. Just like medical doctors work with nurses, Veterinarians count on Veterinarian Technicians to assist them with a multitude of things. According to a study conducted in 2012 that I read on Vet Tech Career Guide, “The majority of a Vet Tech’s time was spent on: General animal nursing, talking with and educating clients, Inducing/Monitoring anesthesia, collecting and analyzing lab samples, taking x-rays, and supervising other staff members”.... [tags: Veterinary medicine, Veterinary technician]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Veterinarian Vs. Veterinary Technician Working with animals is my passion; I want to protect, save, and help animals. Deciding on whether to go to college to become a veterinarian or a veterinary technician can be a difficult decision; however I chose veterinary technician. The cost of school, years of schooling, and the duties that are required for the day can affect that decision. To practice Veterinary medicine is a four year course of study plus the undergraduate degree (“Steps to”). Veterinarians or vets have to acquire a doctorate in veterinary medicine to practice as a vet.... [tags: Veterinary medicine, Veterinary technician]
1890 words (5.4 pages)
- As time went on, Europe later established their first veterinary school in Lyons, France to help educate a larger group of people in animal health. By the nineteenth century, there were over twenty veterinary colleges within Europe (Stilley 20). Later on in the nineteenth century, the invention of the microscope led to a new world of microbes. This led to an increase in research that allowed veterinary scientists to identify new diseases. These new discoveries encouraged the research for a cure that was possible because of all the new technologies (Ho).... [tags: Veterinary medicine, Veterinarian, Medicine]
2055 words (5.9 pages)
- Veterinarian: The Animal Doctor As the human heart continues to grow, peoples ' connection with animals grows stronger as they began to treat their pets as part of the family. The field of veterinarians is growing scientifically and technologically as they become more into demand. Veterinarians must care about animals, but they must also separate themselves from their patients which makes their job so difficult. Many others types of medical doctors may claim that veterinarians are not real doctors, but they do not fully realize the difficulty of having to know the medical history of more than one species.... [tags: Veterinary medicine, Medicine, Veterinarian]
1330 words (3.8 pages)
- Veterinary Medicine Veterinary medicine is the branch of medicine that deals with the diseases of animals. Treating pets is one of the most profitable fields in veterinary medicine. The proper vaccination of animals and the diagnosis of diseases are part of a veterinarian’s duties. The first step to a career in veterinary medicine is deciding that it is the right path for you. If you like animals, enjoy working with your hands as well as your mind, and want a challenging job with different responsibilities, veterinary medicine may be right for you.... [tags: essays research papers]
544 words (1.6 pages)
- Veterinary Medicine For my agriculture report, I chose to do a report on veterinarians. I chose this career field because I like working with animals and learning about them. While doing my report I learned more then I thought there was to learn about animals and becoming a veterinarian. I learned how long it takes to become a veterinarian, what my chances are on being accepted by a veterinary college, what veterinarians do, and much more. Veterinary Medicine is a branch of medical science that deals with the prevention, cure, or alleviation of diseases and injuries of animals.... [tags: essays research papers]
528 words (1.5 pages)
- Homeopathic Survey of Alternative Medicine Homeopathy is an alternative method of treatment, based on the nature's Law of Cure, or the saying 'Like Cures Like'. Discovered by a German scientist Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in 1796, and has been verified experimentally and clinically for 200 years. Homoeopathy is the revolutionary, natural medical science. Homeopathy is gentle and effective system of medicine. The remedies are prepared from natural substances to precise standards and work by stimulating the body's own healing power.... [tags: Homeopathic Medicine essays research papers]
2406 words (6.9 pages)
- There are six steps to become a licensed veterinarian. The earning of two degrees’, the courses that are recommended, the extra certifications required to specialize in particular fields, the testing to pass on to the next step to become a licensed veterinarian, the veterinary experience to get on your feet and an idea of what is expected, and lastly, the interview process. Once a student has gone through all six steps, then the student is transitioned into a doctor of veterinary medicine. To become a licensed veterinarian, a student must major in either a science or mathematics degree.... [tags: Medicine, Physician, Medical school]
708 words (2 pages)
- A Reflection On Continuous Professional Development
- The World 's Socio Economic Is Affected By Globalisation For More Than Two Eras
- The Role Of Federal And State Government
- Personal Narrative : Traveling Volleyball Team
- Comparing The Representation Of The Central Figure Of John Updike 's Gertrude And Claudius
- A Thousand Splendid Suns By Khaled Hosseini