Ponzi scheme memebers unlike the pyramid scheme members are believed not to be aware there are in an illegal program, this is true because the meeting I went with the good samaritan proved that it is not a pyramid scheme when I raised the issue and they were rightly so but I later found out their program (ponzi scheme) is equally illegal. What makes Ponzi illegal is that, it tricks new members that their funds are being invested in a real security. Members do not need to be involved in running the program ...
... middle of paper ...
...stors. Another reason why these ponzi schemes are have been drastically reduced is because also eventually catches the organizers but dissolve the scheme.
To conclude, credit to the SEC for curbing the practice but as talked about earlier the SEC need to practice what they preach. SEC could have saved many investors and over $69 million if they had tackled Bernie Madoff’s scandal with more importance and professional skepticism, following up an assigning a higher risk factor on their whitleblower tips about the scandal and as Mark William suggested have a mentality of “there is no smoke without fire. More companies are still being accused of running ponzi schemes and are undergoing investigation. By using the suggestions above the SEC could do a better job by protecting and serving the interest of the investing public as their mission statement states.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Bernie Madoff began his career as an investment broker in 1960, where he legally bought and sold over-the-counter stocks not listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). From the 1960’s through the 1990’s, Madoff’s success and business grew substantially, mainly from a closed circle of known investors and friends through word of mouth. In the 1990’s Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities traded up to 10 percent of the NASDAQ on any given day. With the success of the securities business, Madoff started an illegal money-management business, promising his investors consistent returns from 10-12 percent, unheard of returns at the time, which should have tipped off most investors... [tags: Bernie Madoff, pyramid scheme, scam, con man]
3353 words (9.6 pages)
- Business Fraud Business fraud basically involves acts that are a breach of ethics and integrity in a business environment. According to Investopedia, business fraud is any activity undertaken, unethical or illegal in most cases that gives an unfair advantage to the undertaker of the action (Investopedia). Action Fraud, a “fraud report center” in the UK reports businesses of all sizes are vulnerable to fraud and as much as 25% of SMEs in the UK fall victim to fraudsters (Action Fraud). This paper discusses three common types of business fraud, which include Pyramid schemes, tax fraud and money laundering.... [tags: unethical business behavior, illegal fund]
1673 words (4.8 pages)
- Report of Nu Skin Inc. ● Introduction to company: history, location, products, etc., indicating reasons for your interest Founded in 1984 Nu Skin Enterprise, Inc. has put a spin on the selling of its products. The strategy is a direct selling style that distributes more than 200 premium quality anti-aging products in both the personal care and the nutritional supplements categories. The company has a global wide consumer base ranging from America, Asia Pacific, Africa and the Middle East. The company has three divisions Pharmanex, Nu Skin and Big Planet.... [tags: business analysis]
579 words (1.7 pages)
- The case that was provided in the Stanwick textbook provided information on the Madoff Ponzi scheme which is said to be the largest of Ponzi schemes in the world. This case was a very interesting case. It showed how Bernard Madoffs massive falsehood created disaster for around 13,600 clients. The impact from Madoff did not end with his clients being impacted but also people far and in between. Madoffs Ponzi scheme was controlled through his company that consisted of his family being the head of the company, friends, and employees.... [tags: Bernard Madoff, Ponzi scheme]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- Social Security is not the Ponzi scheme some oppositions may advocate. Social insurance, as envisaged by President Roosevelt, would address the permanent problem of economic security for the elder community by creating a work-related, contributory system in which workers would provide for their own future economic security through taxes they paid while employed. It provided an alternative both to reliance on welfare, and to radical changes within the capitalist system. It can be seen as a moderately conservative, yet activist, response to the challenges of the Depression (SSA, 2014).... [tags: social security act,ponzi scheme,social insurance]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- Madoff’s Scheme “The Whole Government is a Ponzi Scheme” is a quote by Bernard “Bernie” Madoff who was said to have ran the largest Ponzi Scheme in the U.S. Madoff was 71 years old when he was caught for running a Ponzi Scheme. He ran a family business and through that he ran his Ponzi Scheme. He told no one until 10 years after his family business took off. Madoff’s was quite successful in his life, before he made his mistake. His Ponzi Scheme hurt many people who invested in the company, not knowing that it was a swindle all along.... [tags: Ponzi scheme, Bernard Madoff, Charles Ponzi]
1867 words (5.3 pages)
- ... Somewhere in his life, he decided that the millions he was making was not enough, and began to pull off the fraud of the century. In business, stakeholders are those who are affected by an organization, member, or system. In the case of Madoff, there were two types of victims, the net losers and the net winners. Net losers are those who put in more money initially than they ended up receiving. Net winners are those who recouped their original investment plus profits (Ferrell, Fraedrich, Ferrell 2012).... [tags: Ponzi schemes, frauds]
1931 words (5.5 pages)
- Outline Worksheet Introduction ATTENTION GETTER: Video viewing most of the tourist attractions in Egypt. PURPOSE: The purpose of this speech is to inform you with the history behind The Great Pyramid of Giza. STATE THESIS & MAIN POINTS: Today I am going to discuss three things about The Great Pyramid of Giza by explaining how significant it is, describing its physical appearance, and how long it took to be done from constructing it. Body I. MAIN POINT: Thanks to the Ancient Egyptians, Egypt’s revenue increase by $13 billion every year due to the thousands of people who come and visit this historic monument.... [tags: Ancient Egypt, Great Pyramid of Giza]
786 words (2.2 pages)
- The Great Pyramid of Giza is one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Although it is the oldest and most studied structure, it still is the most mysterious. The Great Pyramid of Giza is the largest and oldest of the three significant pyramids of Giza plateau that was a “funerary structure.” The everlasting monument was to honor Egypt’s Fourth Dynasty pharaoh, Khufu (known as Cheops to the Greeks). Khufu was the son of King Sneferu, who happened to be a great pyramid builder, and Hetepheres I.... [tags: Ancient Egypt, Great Pyramid of Giza]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- The Importance of The Food Guide Pyramid The food guide pyramid plays an important role in the health education of the majority of people in the United States. It is meant to guide the general healthy public in how to eat healthy to stay healthy. It includes a wide variety of foods to provide a healthy range of nutrients that are needed daily. The food guide pyramid is an excellent way to educate the public on how to eat healthy. The new food guide pyramid also includes exercise. This is a way to universally educate people.... [tags: Health Nutrition Food Pyramid Essays]
2040 words (5.8 pages)
- Social Justice And The Criminal Justice System
- My Writing And Thought Towards Writing Changed Drastically
- Benefits Of Texting While Driving
- Medical Professionals Have Many Tools Of The Trade We Use Care For Our Patients
- The Differences Between The Parthenon And The Pantheon That Great And What Do They Say About Their Cultures?
- Thanksgiving Day : A Time Of Fellowship With Family And Friends