I. A potential incoming college freshman struts with confidence through the sliding doors of the Student Center, inhaling the freshly prepared pizza ready to be served at Sbarros, and sees the smiling faces as Pride Leaders try to convince each individual to enroll at Hofstra University; yet fail to admit that every university has its limitations and failed expectations. A journalist from U.S. News reports, “Hofstra University 's ranking in the 2016 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 135.” (Hofstra University)
Each university has different versions of a campus environment and academic areas that make it unique, thus having its own individual aspects when it comes to the decision of certain students. The Hofstra campus is known to attract new-comers due to its arboretum and programs; such as business, communications, medical, law, etc. Frederick Soviero writes, “…encompasses 240 acres and provides a beautiful campus setting that inspires and motivates its students…Today, more than 12,000 evergreen and deciduous trees represent 625 species and varieties, and the number is increasing every year. The Friends of the Hofstra University Arboretum have developed a two-acre plot of land for a distinctive bird sanctuary…” (HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY ARBORETUM) Hofstra University takes pride in their academic standards and scenic views. Even more so, students enjoy being only 25 miles from the world renowned New York City.
When students apply and enroll into their next four years at college they are likely to focus more on the cost, distance, and programs of the colleges rather than the unfulfilled needs of individuals. When making the step to become a college freshman m...
... middle of paper ...
...when they are able to get the problem fixed which will be relevant to the times of open availability.
IIII. If this were to become in effect, we as students can get the problem fixed within a reasonable time frame based on both the maintenance and student’s convenience. In addition, the maintenance department can have a more efficient record as to what was fixed and what still needs work. This will make a more organized environment, students satisfied and parents will not have to complain about the lack of urgency that is shown.
As a current student in the Hofstra community standards should be fulfilled, deadlines should be met, and expectations should be reached to its full potential. The goal of a college is to make the student comfortable, worthy, and capable to achieve in such environment; with such situations throughout the college, this may never be attained.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hofstra University: A Quality Educational Experience Established in 1935, Hofstra University was originally a large mass of land owned by Mr. and Mrs. William Hofstra. Once both of them passed, the trustees of the land had the responsibility of putting the land to good use. Mrs. Kate Hofstra wanted the land to be used for educational purposes, but she also wanted it to be name in memory of her husband. The trustees of the land decided to turn the land into a place of higher education and named it Hofstra University (“Hofstra University,” Hofstra).... [tags: University, College, Education, Higher education]
1280 words (3.7 pages)
- Numerous studies all over the world have made assumptions about the academic performance of students staying on campus and those who commute to campus every day. Some studies suggests that those students who live on campus tend to have an advantage over those who don’t (Peterson, 1975). In this literature review we will look at the different views of people who researched the subject. Peterson (1975) suggested that those students involved in activities on campus “are better off financially, educationally and in other ways to begin with.... [tags: campus residence halls, appartments]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- Stonehill is located in Easton MA, which is thirty minutes away from Boston. There is an hourly free shuttle to and from the campus to Boston. The last returning bus leaves Boston at 12:00 AM during the week and 2:00 AM on weekends. The Stonehill campus has red brick buildings. The campus is like a park. It is so spread out that the 2500 students “disappeared” – they don’t seem to be there except around the dining commons, All I saw were small groups of students dispersed in a park like setting.... [tags: University, Academia, The Faculty, College]
2213 words (6.3 pages)
- Big College Campus vs. Small College Campus When you are looking at colleges, you must compare and contrast the benefits and disadvantages between each college. One of the main things you think about is the college campus itself. Whether big or small, the campus atmosphere is important to college success. As you analyze the information they give you about their campus amenities, you will be able to see the major contrasts in large and small colleges. A big college campus and a small college campus can differ in residential services, in social activities, and in well-managed facilities.... [tags: University, College, Satellite campus, Campus]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- As a non-traditional student of the University Mary Hardin Baylor, I can say parking policies could use some changes. I understand the need for parking policies for safety and security reasons, but some parking rules are just ridiculous. My family has four vehicles, only one of them has a UMHB parking sticker. This sticker was issued at registration; it is one of the many hidden fees that are added into tuition. I sometimes drive different vehicles to campus. When I drive different vehicles, I have to go to campus police to get a temporary parking permit.... [tags: Campus Issues]
801 words (2.3 pages)
- There are many myths and improper public perceptions about campus crime. There reality is that everyday common property crimes far outnumber violent crimes on campus (Bromley, 2007, pg. 280). This misperception is largely because of many factors. Campus policing has gone through several eras of policing. Unique to campus policing is that there are several influential and interested parties, such as the legislative, and judicial branches of government. As a result of this, campus crime has been a part of, and influenced to participate in newer forms of policing such as community oriented policing.... [tags: Security, Campus Police]
1620 words (4.6 pages)
- Safety. This is the top priority for most Universities. Safety is important because without it danger can take the life of a dear student along with their financial contribution to the school. But it is even more important because if something were to occur to a student it could taint the University’s reputation, meaning that the school would have to live with it’s students being in fear that the same thing could happen to them. For example, Brianna Denison a resident of Reno, Nevada was kidnapped from her friend’s home.... [tags: safe, reputation, campus, security]
927 words (2.6 pages)
- ... However, since allegations are often based on one person's word against another, cases are difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal proceedings. Many colleges and universities hold formal hearings where panels of students and faculty review evidence and determine whether a student is responsible for a crime. Administrators stress that the college judicial system is different from criminal court in that college proceedings enforce "conduct codes" instead of anti-rape laws. In addition, college hearing boards follow separate procedural rules and handle evidence differently.... [tags: college, reports, security, schools]
790 words (2.3 pages)
- We Cannot Make a College Perfect; However, We Can Make It Better I. A becoming freshman struts with confidence between the sliding doors of the Student Center, smells the freshly prepared pizza ready to be served at Sbarros, and sees the smiling faces as people try to convince every individual to enroll at Hofstra University; yet fail to admit that every university has its limitations and failed expectations. A journalist from US News reports, “Hofstra University 's ranking in the 2016 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 135.” (Hofstra University) Every university has different aspects to the campus and academic area that make it unique and have its own individual attention... [tags: University, Student, College, Hofstra University]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- FINDINGS: Severe right-sided chest pain. The __ reported a friction rub. A PM lateral showed questionable mediastinal adenopathy. The patient had no cough or sputum production of ___. CT scan in ___ showed a possibility of a 1x2 cm right paratrachial lymphnode. Several smaller anteromediastinal lymphnodes which were all less than 1 cm were also evaluated. The patient was treated with Indocen with relief of her chest pain. ___ level was 64.5 with a ___ 50. PPD was negative, controls were positive.... [tags: Medical Report]
616 words (1.8 pages)