The emergence of a new generation of information and communication technology (ICT) are changing marketing rules and marketing dynamics and weakening the corporate competitive position as stated by (Porter,2001) , while at the same time presenting individuals with many new opportunities and empowerment(Christopher 1989:Wind Mahanjan 1997). In terms of development the need for new marketing orientation has gained momentum. What is emerging is the need to re-define marketing approaches in accordance with the view presented by (Constantinides ,2006;Heaton,2006;Thomas 2007).surviving on the age of the empowered customer means less dependence on old marketing strategies and engaging on one to one communication and customized approach. The social media can be a major enabler of this approach.
1.2 Background to the study
The present stage in the internet development has revolutionalized the way people interact, communicate share information and definitely the way customers tend to buy and sell products. The increasing adoption of internet and networking has led to an explosion of customers and business being carried out online hence making business more effective and simple. The social media is increasingly growing at the cost of traditional media. Looking closely at the emergence of new ICTS and particularly at the impact of commercial internet on business and on public one could argue that internet has dominated the development in the marketing domain for the past two decades...
... middle of paper ...
...t which also need to be considered.
1.9 Structure of the dissertation
The whole chapter entail the introduction and background to the study which is further divided into sub headings that give a clear description of the social media being used as a tool for business organization. The introduction part gives a brief explanation of the social media and the business organization and also its growth. The chapter also encompasses the background of the study and the reason for the study. It provides the research problems which outline the major challenge of the topic at hand. The aims and objectives gives the reasons for the study whereas the research questions outline the guidelines to focus on during the research. The relevance of the study explains the outcome of the research and its importance.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... It also facilitates comparing information, rather than in previous generations people would have to go to a library, sometimes more than one, sit hours and read encyclopedias and books to obtain the information they are looking for. Today using search engines like Google and the Web as a whole does not only save us time, but also money and an unnecessary hassle. In fact, people have feared the evolution and effect technology would bring to our society since the invention of computers. The same way people feared the evolution of the invention of other technological things such as automobiles.... [tags: information technology, the internet]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- A Misunderstood Generation The generation of the technology, the delayed life choices, the impatience, the reliance on our parents, more commonly known as Generation Y or Millennials, is the generation born between 1980 and 2000. Older generations are always finding fault with what we, the Millennials, do or say or didn’t do or didn’t say. The world is changing so fast, we can hardly keep up. It is bad enough we have to push to learn as much as we can and apply the knowledge effectively, let alone being criticized for every move we make by our elders, who don’t really seem to help matters but complicate them.... [tags: Generation Y, Strauss and Howe, Unemployment]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Operating any business without the application of information technology in the modern business world is actually impossible. The world has gone digital and in every sector of economy, entrepreneurs are busy applying information technology systems to run their businesses smoothly. Nevertheless, the invention of information technology and its entrance into business arena has seen, customers demand better services whenever they do business or receive services. From banking to financial markets, stock exchange to retail markets, businesspersons use information technology principles to attract, serve and retain customers.... [tags: Information Technology ]
1539 words (4.4 pages)
- The Baby Boomers have grown older and the new generation, Generation X, Generation Y, also known as Millennials, are taking their place. Why has the world taken a huge interest in the Millennial generation. Millennials are people born between the years 1980 and 2000. They grew up being “coddled and helicoptered,” entertained by 24-hour TV. Sam Tanenhaus of The New York Times, writes that Millennials were “fussed over, dissected by psychologists, demographers, [and] trend-spotters.” Millennials were brought up using digital technology and mass media.... [tags: Generation Y, Generation X, Demographics]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- As we entered into the new millennium society was faced with new challenges that would create different ways of thinking and how society thinks. Our world would take on different ideas of past generations. No more of the conventional thinking of roles that are played by men and women in society. The millennium gave people a voice to create and become other than their parents. New generations became tech savvy, went to school, and learned to juggle work, family and education at the same time. Unlike their parent which had more traditional roles and believed that in order to be successful you must work over 40 hours and be away from home and not take time out to enjoy life.... [tags: Generation Y, Cultural generations, Demographics]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Generation Y Not Generation Y, more commonly referred to as the “millennials”, is today’s group of young people. Similar to other generations, each cohort is labeled with unique characteristics and inevitably faces adversities while taking its place in society. Many American’s today debate their views on the youngster generation, but none the less all sides can agree the discussion has become a hot topic. Catherin Rampell creates an open discussion in her article, A Generation of Slackers. Not So Much, addressing the main issue: Are millennials a generation of slackers.... [tags: Generation Y, Generation X, Strauss and Howe]
1044 words (3 pages)
- The Millennial generation has more positive characteristics then negative. They are more focus on working hard to better their life, than depending on others. They loved to be independent and fulfill their wish, rather than please someone else’s. Millennial are down to earth and they don’t take life too serious. The older generations, think the millennial generation is doom because of technologies. They reasons that, the Millennial spends too much time on the internet, rather than enjoying the nature of earth or enjoying life activities.... [tags: Generation Y, Strauss and Howe, Generation X]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- While the Millennials are getting their lives together for the future that is yet to come, many generation x members are debating whether Millennials are ready to take in charge of their world and the generations to come. It’s not a surprise that the generation x members are depleting. It 's human nature for one generation to die out, and the other to come in and take its place. This is what is happing at this very moment. The generation x population is fading away and it’s up to the millennials to stand up and take charge of this world.... [tags: Generation Y, Strauss and Howe, Generation X]
1155 words (3.3 pages)
- In an article titled “the new greatest generation “by Joel Stein implied that the narcissist has increased between younger generations than the proceeded generation. A researches conducted by the National Institute of Heath says that “58% more college students scored higher on a narcissism scale in 2009 than in 1982” (qtd. Stein 28) millennials are the demographic cohort following generation x. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends. Researchers and other commentators say as birth years and”… depending on whom you ask, of people born from1980 to 2000” (28).... [tags: Generation Y, Demographics, Strauss and Howe]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- How IT can best be used to improve New Zealand's economy and society in the next twenty years, and how IT graduates make their contribution to this opportunity personally The Information Technology (IT) industry continues to show high growth potential. Based on updated information from the Ministry of Economic Development, the total value of the New Zealand IT industry, excluding communications services, in the 2002 financial year was estimated at $7,055 million, up 1% from the previous year, and almost twice what it was in 1994.... [tags: IT Information Technology New Zealand]
1281 words (3.7 pages)