The sci-fi paper will in the form of a mission log, from the perspectives of several various crew members. The story will be about their mission, which will be set in the future, through our galaxy and some of their troubles. Some of the problems will be with solar weather, long term flight, and habitability in space. The main focus will be on the habitability of humans in space. This will include some technologies such as in situ resource utilization, space station shielding, a mass driver, and solar cells. Using these technologies, the mission will be living in space for years, potentially forever, and having to survive with the limited resources they can bring from earth.
Visiting and living in space are not new ideas, but they are not easy ideas either. The first satellite was launched in 1957, and the first human flight was in 1961. It has been over fifty years and numerous launches later, but we are still only scratching the surface of space travel. The most permanent station for humans is the International Space Station which was launched in the late 1990’s. The ISS is a space station in orbit around the earth that has six crew members at a time. This is the most permanent place to live in space, yet people do not stay on the station for too long. The future hope is to one day be able to live almost completely in space, this is will take many years and a lot of research to be fully realized.
One of the main technologies needed for space habitation would be a system for providing food, water, and other materials for the astronauts, one system is in situ resource utilization. Without water or oxygen humans would not last very long in space. There is not going to be readily drinkable water in space, meani...
... middle of paper ...
...ace. The mass driver would allow for sending things into space to be cheaper, which in order to build a space station there is going to be a lot sent into space. The solar cells would be used to power the station, there needs to be a way to constantly have power. Once all of these technologies, plus some others, are put together in a working fashion long term space station would be more possible.
 http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/research/technology-onepagers/in-situ_resource_Utiliza14.html (cited 1/22/2015)
http://www.isdc2007.org/settlement/asteroids/NearEarthAsteroidMining(Ross2001).pdf (cited 1/22/2015)
 http://three.usra.edu/concepts/SpaceRadiationEnviron.pdf (cited 1/22/2015)
 http://www.coilgun.info/theorymath/electroguns.htm (cited 1/22/2015)
 http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130923204214.htm (cited 1/22/2015)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... This small clinic usually ran about thirty or so patients and it was exactly what Martha needed to get her feet wet which was good because her next assignment would require all her determination and skill. Her next assignment was a leprosarium six miles outside of the town of Katsina. Lepers would come from miles around so that their ulcerated wounds could be cleaned and medicine could be administered. Leprosy was and still is a gruesome disease causing the limbs and digits to loose feeling.... [tags: Africa, West Africa, Mission, Islam]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- “Companies that enjoy enduring success have core values and a core purpose that remain fixed while their business strategies and practices endlessly adapt to a changing world.” Vision Statement describes the future. It tells where the company is going or where the company wants to go. While Mission Statements describes the presnet status: why the company exists today and / or what the company is doing to pursue its vision of the future. Together they provide direction for the business by focusing its attention on doing things day-to-day to accomplish its mission, while taking steps to pursue its vision of the future - its long-term business intent.... [tags: Business Mission Vision]
1707 words (4.9 pages)
- Facebook’s self-proclaimed mission is to give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected. Since launching in 2004, Facebook has cemented itself as a worldwide phenomenon. Statista, an internet statistic company that provides a tool for researching quantitative data, statistics and related information, acknowledges, “[a]s of the first quarter of 2016, Facebook had 1.65 billion monthly active users…, [making it] …the biggest social networking service based on a global reach…” (Statista).... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, MySpace]
1693 words (4.8 pages)
- ... In this training Marcus and a couple of other teenage boys who wanted to be a Navy Seal would have to carry cinder blocks while they ran a half marathon. Then once they finished running the half marathon, they would have to do hundreds of pushups and situps. Once they got stronger after months of harsh training, instead of having to carry cinder blocks, they would have to put tires around their backs and run marathons. When Marcus was 18, he was legally allowed to join the Seals, which he did right away.... [tags: Mission, Talibans, Gunshots]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- In Mocking Jay by Suzanne Collins, Katniss takes on her new position as the rebel of district 13 which is a secret district that is rebelling against the capitol. Katniss and a few of her friends were lucky enough to escape from the second hunger games but, Peeta was not so lucky as he was captured by the capitol. Peeta warns district 13 about the capitol’s plans of bombing district 13, and Katniss and the rest of district 13 retreat underground for a few days and when it is all clear, Katniss makes a propo while a rebel team goes to retrieve Peeta back from the capitol.... [tags: reading, log, story, character, summary]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- XYZ Internet Company is part of a burgeoning market of Internet access companies. We provide Internet access solution for homes and small businesses. Our product is an affordable and easy-to-install way to access the Internet and connect networks to it. This high-speed "always on" service lets the customer access the Internet over ordinary phone lines at speeds up to 8 Mbps for downloads and 1 Mbps for uploads (Internet Access Types. n.d.). We work with our clients to find the best and most affordable type of Internet access for their needs as well as maintenance and customer support.... [tags: Mission Statement]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- The Apollo 13 mission was the fifth lunar mission and was planned to be the third lunar landing. Because the spacecraft did not actually land on the moon, it is often called a “lunar swing by”(Angelo 40). After a rupture in the service module oxygen tank made landing on the moon impossible, suddenly the main focus of the mission became getting the crew home safely. Apollo 13’s original mission was aborted but is still considered a “successful failure” because of the experience gained in saving the crew.... [tags: lunar mission, odyssey, risky]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- ... . (Abraham, S. C., 2012, p. 2.1) “Vision statement is a concise expression of where the organization would like to see itself in the next 5 or 10 years. What makes an effective vision statement rather than one that just sounds good. In order to know whether the vision has been achieved, it makes sense to use some quantitative measure in the statement. For example, it could include "become a billion-dollar company by 2017," or "be doing business in 25 countries by 2017." It is imperative that the strategy and vision must be completely aligned, which is why an organization should review and, if necessary, revise the vision statement after deciding on the strategy and strategic direction i... [tags: Strategic planning, Statements, Mission statement]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- Portfolio Task 1 – 99+283+107+877+143 1509/1375 Introduction – 99/130 The mission statement of Hotcourses is a particularly interesting case, in that it defies many standard expectations of mission statements. Its tone is informal and links are sporadically scattered through its paragraphs. These differences are, I believe, motivated by a desire to appeal to a slightly different audience than found in most corporate mission statements; primarily its potential customers. I will be investigating how Hotcourses use the style of their mission statement to appeal to different audiences.... [tags: Mission statement, Strategic planning, Statements]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- JUNO is a NASA mission to the planet Jupiter. The Juno spacecraft is scheduled to launch aboard an Atlas V-551 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Fla., in Aug. 2011. (www.nasa.gov). It will take 5 years to reach Jupiter, arriving in July 2016. It will orbit Jupiter 33 times. The purpose of the mission is to explore Jupiter’s structure and atmosphere. The main aim of this mission is to understand how the planet Jupiter originated and thus help us understand the evolution of the gas giants. This knowledge will also reflect upon our understanding of the origins of the Universe.... [tags: NASA, Mission, Planet Jupiter]
509 words (1.5 pages)