The negative effects of Homework at home extend across many areas of life, touching many ungrateful recipients, one of these groups being students. A study done by Highlights Magazine asked students their biggest problem in life right now. The results read, "But by far the most common complaints were related to schoolwork (23.4%). Respondents said they struggled with completing homework on time, finishing projects and/or studying for tests" (“The State of the Kid” 4). While 23.4% of children is clearly not a majority, it must be looked at in comparison to the second "biggest" problem in kids' lives. The second highest scoring problem was sibling issues, and it got 8.7%, which is almost 15% less than Homework. Parental issues, friend issues, and bullies all sat beneath the whopping 23% that said schoolwork. When students are referring to schoolwork and homework as a "problem," one must believe that this is looking like ...
... middle of paper ...
- - -. The Homework Myth: Why Our Kids Get Too Much of a Bad Thing. N.p.: Da Capo, 2006.
Kralovec, Etta, and John Buell. "End Homework Now." Clashing Views on Educational Issues.
By James Wm. Noll. 14th ed. Dubuque: McGraw- Hill Contemporary Learning Series,
Oz, Allison. E-mail interview. 7 Jan. 2013.
Teitell, Beth. "Homework Hell." Boston Globe. Boston Globe Media Partners, 2 May 2010.
Web. 17 Nov. 2013.
Vatterott, Cathy. “There’s Something Wrong With Homework.” Principal, January-February
2003: 64. Available at:
Wolchover, Natalie. "Too Much Homework Can Lower Test Scores, Researchers
Say." Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 30 Mar. 2012. Web. 20 Nov.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Did you know that homework is one of the greatest causes of student dropouts and failing” (Kralovek 39). Since the beginning of the twentieth century, homework has been a major debate in America. “At first, the brain was seen as a muscle that could be trained by learning from homework and people enjoyed learning at home. This enthusiastic spirit did not last long since during the 1940’s, Professor Otto explained that, ‘Compulsory homework does not result in sufficiently improved academic accomplishment.’ When Sputnik was launched in the 1950’s, the United States feared that Russia would dominate the world in technology if homework continued to be unnecessary.... [tags: dumb homework]
3109 words (8.9 pages)
- Too Much Homework. We have all gone through the thought of too much homework at one point in our educational lives. There have been many studies towards each side of this discussion. Ironically, many of them have been done by students for their homework. But, has there really been a factual answer. There are many beneficial sides to homework, if given the right amount. First of many, students need the practice for new material and in order for them to comprehend or learn it, they must practice it.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Homework help service]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Born out of xenophobic views and misinformed policy standings, the distinct parallels between Donald Trump and Brexit are rather stunning. Perhaps a coincidence, both were the result of brash, blonde haired, and stubby men with a penchant for yelling. Yet, despite their respective calls for radical societal changes, both groups have managed to avoid political demise. Indeed, the sad truth is that both the Trump and Brexit campaigns remain completely alive, a magnificently confusing phenomenon to say the least.... [tags: Donald Trump, Ivana Trump, Fred Trump]
780 words (2.2 pages)
- When you were a kid, what was the one thing you absolutely dreaded most. Had the most squabbles about with your parents. Was the most time consuming. Homework. Homework is an issue that has been highly debated for centuries. Some believe it is tremendously advantageous while others passionately disagree. When considering the necessity of homework, one must contemplate the entirety of the evidence before making a rational decision: the origin, the scientific findings, as well as the benefits or detriments to the children of America.... [tags: homework, school work, education system]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- Homework: How It Can Be Improved The populace was taught that if students did their homework, they would execute superbly at school, so why do students not complete their homework. It has been proven that homework helps exercise the brain to help us remember what was taught in class, and people who do not complete their homework simply fail. Homework can lead to issues and can cause students to in fact, not benefit from homework whatsoever. Students do not complete their homework due to whether they have a busy schedule, or because they are just simply lazy.While it is great that students who are doing their homework are obtaining the knowledge they need to gain success, but something needs... [tags: Education, School, High school, Homework]
1872 words (5.3 pages)
- Throughout the years, researchers have seen an increase in time for students spent studying and in school while there has also been a decline in time spent in active sports and out-of-doors activities over the past twenty years. ( 'Changing Times of American Youth: 1981-2003 '). Teachers assign students their usual daily pile of homework which leads to students feeling stressed as to what they must complete after school. Students are expected to manage their time according to their teacher’s schedule considering that they may not even be able to complete each assignment given to them.... [tags: High school, Homework, School terminology]
1036 words (3 pages)
- Students are bombarded with hours of homework every night and it interferes with their lives. They are tired of staying up late at night to finish their homework or a paper that is due the next day. They should not have this workload that they have every night because they also have to live their childhood. Life is too short to be staying up until 11:00 because of schoolwork. Homework is unhealthy for students and it is not academically beneficial for them. We all know the downfall of homework: the frustration and exhaustion, family conflict, time loss, and decreasing interest in learning.... [tags: Students, Schools, Education, Homework]
1227 words (3.5 pages)
- The world of a student is a very complicated place with either two options: a relaxed childhood filled with quality learning and experimenting, or one that is so demanding and exhausting that students cannot handle it anymore. Presently, the deciding factor for which path students will travel is the conditions and environment provided to students by the previous generation. For example, Finland is one of the most successful countries in creating proper educational settings for students to excel when it comes to world competition.... [tags: Education Reform Essays]
1991 words (5.7 pages)
- Homework has been an integral part of education since children started to be educated. Recently however, homework has begun to be assigned more and more often to students, especially in the United States, as it has begun to fall further and further behind countries like China, Singapore, and Japan. Homework is anything assigned by teachers to be completed by the students either at home, or just on their own time. The workload for students has gotten to the point where more and more parents are starting to notice the load for their kids has gotten to be too much.... [tags: Education, Student, Schools, Homework]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Homework Is it not amazing that in today’s society students must not only spend seven hours in school doing work, but then they must go home to spend another five or six hours doing homework. Their grades are not improving enough to make a difference, and they are becoming extremely unhealthy. Not only does the average student suffer from sleep deprivation but many times malnutrition and emotional breakdowns. These are all caused by the over assigning of homework outside of school. How much homework is there really.... [tags: Teaching Education]
474 words (1.4 pages)
- Use of Biological Weapons Through History
- The Relation Between Religion and Prosocial Behavior
- Attribution of Intentionality and Theory of Mind in Pre-school and School-aged Children
- Highest Grossing Film in Japanese History
- Public Sculpture and Site Specific Art Relationship
- Appeal of Batman Versus Superman