The night started off with a dance called “Our Best Bette,” which split into two separate parts. The first part told a story of a group of girls fighting over a man. The dance flowed well as the beginning only showed a single dancer, and by the end five dancers appeared on the stage. The synchronization of the dancers allowed the eyes of the viewers to focus on the story more than the dance itself, but when one dancer separated from the group, it felt a little harder to follow. One female dancer broke from the group to the far left of the stage. This break made it harder to follow the story depending on where one viewer might have been sitting. The solo dancer performed a different dance astray from the group. After a few minutes, the setting changed one more time. A male dancer appeared on the stage in different attire from the female dancers. The female dancers wore what seemed normal for ballet dancers to wear. The male dancer, on the other hand, wore blue jeans and a shirt. The viewer might believe that the focal point changed to him at this point. Likewise with the solo dancer earl...
... middle of paper ...
...l theme, ballet. All of the dances used some sort of ballet technique in some way. Even though music is not needed to dance, the music helped tie the audience into the entire performance. The directors and dancers should have been proud of those two nights because the audience definitely left with all smiles and new memories. Lamar University’s Dance Company’s Fun & Games was a joyous event and made it a joyous night.
Gargulinski, Ryn. “How to Use Props in Modern Dancing.” ehow. 2 March 2009. Web. 30 Nov.
2009. < http://www.ehow.com/how_2285243_use-props-modern-dancing.html>.
Lihs, Harriet. Appreciating Dance. Hightstown, NJ: Princeton Book Company, 2009.
Sullivan, Rachel E. “Rap and Race: It's Got a Nice Beat, but What about the Message?”
Journal of Black Studies, Vol. 33, No. 5 (May, 2003), pp. 605-622
Published by: Sage Publications, Inc.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- PURPOSE BACKGROUND Universiti Teknologi MARA Universiti Teknologi MARA or UiTM, established in 1956. UITM can be considered as the largest university in the Malaysia with a main campus, three cable campuses, 12 branch campuses, six city campuses, 25 affiliated campuses and a smart campus for the future. Presently, the Shah Alam campus is host to 45% of the total 100,000 students. Information system management(ISM) is the one of the course that offered by Universiti Teknologi MARA.ISM is the study of people, technology, organizations and the relationships among them.... [tags: university evaluation and comparison]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Kendrick Lamar Kendrick Lamar released his third album To Pimp a Butterfly early in 2015, choosing only to play a handful of tracks from the record in his live shows over the year, including appearances on television and major festivals, an exhibition of this fantastic album is unheard of. Join him now, on a smaller scale in this one time only show of his platinum album To Pimp a Butterfly, to be performed in it’s entirety in an intimate and exclusive jazz-den setting. Featuring such artists as George Clinton, Thundercat, Bilal and Snoop Dogg.... [tags: African American, Black people, Hip hop, Album]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- It happens more often than not- waking in the middle of the night. As I become conscious of my surroundings, I am filled with a sense of foreboding. The soft hisses and puffs escaping my loved ones lips while deep in the throes of sleep provide the only distraction from the all-encompassing silence. As I strain to hear the sounds of life surrounding me the ominous sensation of being alone, abandoned, is ignited within me. It feels as if my loved one have left and gone to somewhere that I am no longer welcomed and I must stay behind, long forgotten.... [tags: night,]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- In the art world, everything is considered art, no matter how hard an artist did or din’t work on the piece of art. Art comes in many different forms and meanings. Artist can use art as a way to express themselves, get a message across to the viewers or readers, and leaving the artwork open for the viewer to decide what the art piece is. Charles Baudelaire wrote the art piece, The Joyous Dead in 1857, Henry Ossawa Tanner painted the artwork, The Thankful Poor in 1894, and Jackson Pollock painted the art work, Autumn Rhythm in 1950.... [tags: Art, Modernism, Arts, Jackson Pollock]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- A Joyous Death 1. In “The Story of an Hour,” Kate Chopin suggests that in certain situations, the death of a loved one may be a blessing. Such situations may include an abusive relationship, or an unhappy marriage, as this story suggests. In Chopin’s story although the circumstances might lead the reader to believe that Louise’s husband’s death would cause her great pain, ironically, when she hears the news, she feels a great sense of relief. This suggests that death may not always cause grief.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Dorothy L. Sayers’ Gaudy Night When Gayle Wald wrote, “Sayers’s career writing detective stories effectively ends with Gaudy Night” (108), she did not present a new argument, but continued the tradition that Gaudy Night does not center on the detective story. Barbara Harrison even labeled Dorothy Sayers’s Lord Peter/Harriet Vane books, Strong Poison, Gaudy Night, and Busman’s Honeymoon, as “deliriously happy-ending romances” (66). The label stretches the definition of a romance, but Gaudy Night indeed has very little to do with crime. Sayers encrypted the real story within her detective novel. This story behind the story narrates love and human relationships. In fact, the crimes i... [tags: Gaudy Night]
5693 words (16.3 pages)
- The Purpose of Mother Night Over the years, such world-renowned authors as Mark Twain and J. D. Salinger have shown readers how literature reflects the era in which it is written. Another author who has also made significant contributions to American literature is Kurt Vonnegut, author of such well-known novels as Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle. Vonnegut was born on November 11, 1922 in Indianapolis, Indiana ("Kurt Vonnegut, Jr."). Vonnegut attended Cornell University in 1940 where he wrote for the Cornell Daily Sun ("Chronology").... [tags: Mother Night Essays]
2087 words (6 pages)
- Feste is No Fool in Twelfth Night In most Shakespearean romantic comedies, there is a character that plays the part of a truth-teller. And in William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night it is no different. Feste, a clown, through his mixed up words and songs enlightens the other characters whilst playing the role of the truth-teller. Through aiding the Duke with his patience, helping Viola with her love problems, and having a major role in Malvolio's downfall, Feste holds one of the primary parts of the play.... [tags: Twelfth Night essays]
688 words (2 pages)
- Elie Wiesel's Night Question one) look at the cover of the book. Does the cover of the book show that it is a biography/autobiography and not fictional book. How. The responder’s first look at this autobiography does not appear or resemble a life story until the words that are displayed across the cover advert your attention. “His record of a childhood in death camps of Auschwitz and Buchenwald”, these words represent a biography or memoir written piece. The use of words in the persuasion including the expression “record” identifies the book as an account of a living or deceased persons life.... [tags: Biography Wiesel Night]
945 words (2.7 pages)
- History is full of famous figures, of those who have spoken out against the crowd for what they believe in; people who have stood by what they know is right and challenge society to join them in a quest for justice and a better world. Textbooks are not filled with people who simply go through the motions, but rather those who choose to enact change and do what it takes to make their voice be heard. By choosing to be committed to a cause beyond yourself, you give yourself the power to change the world.... [tags: Elie Wiesel Night]
1155 words (3.3 pages)