“Are you ready to go?”
At the crack of dawn, I had to meet Dawna Hartman at AbbVie laboratories where she worked as a lab technologist. After I got my security badge I told her that I prefer not to get out of bed before the sun even starts to rise, she told me “yeah I don’t either, but I like getting out of work at three instead of five.” It was sort of a dig towards me but I didn’t mind I thought it was kind of funny.
As a woman who has lived with and wanted to work with animals her whole life, you would think that Dawna would want to work as a veterinarian instead of someone who tests on animals, but truth be told she had worked as a vet tech for five years prior to starting her current field. Mrs Hartman started work there after she graduated from college, with an associates degree in biology. She was horrified to learn what that vet did to the animals, and briefly mentioned to me how they had beaten the animals and treated them so poorly that it was a wonder how anyone could want to to work there. Dawna told me that after she got out of there she had two job offers both from different labs, to no one’s surprise she picked the one that paid more. At that job she had worked as a lower level technician working with different types of monkeys. I was told that she had never even considered working with lab animals, but has now worked in the field for twenty three years.
Walking through the corridor that was reminiscent of a hospital wing mixed with a pet store, blue walls with the smell of wood shavings in the air, she started showing me the rooms and their different purposes through the windows on the doors, because not to my surprise I wasn’t allowed. In one of the rooms a lab tech was rearranging the large pl...
... middle of paper ...
... it is to be sold. Bath and Body Works claims that their products are animal cruelty free, Dawna told me that all the ingredients legally have to be tested on a rodent and non-rodent mammal
The final question I had to ask her was with the way animal testing is done and how much it has come under fire in recent year how much of it did she agree with. Dawna told me, with her eyes threatening tears, that if certain tests hadn’t been done then her husband who is suffering from lymphoma, which is a very treatable cancer with the help of modern medicine, would have gotten much worse if there had been no option to test the chemo method on. Also her mother She said people need to put testing into perspective, would you rather trade one hundred rats to be used in creating and perfecting medicine that could potentially cure a life threatening illness or see a loved one suffer?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A. ASESSMENT The participant was a 25-year-old woman name Kaitlyn. She is a Caucasian female who is currently working as a lab technician supervisor for a company that does food testing. Kaitlyn is currently experiencing symptoms of fatigue, trouble with energy levels and reports to feel exhausted. She was referred by her Primary Care Physician who thought her symptoms could be pathological. Kaitlyn went on to describe her problems to be her high levels of stress. She reports to feel overwhelmed and unmotivated.... [tags: Major depressive disorder, Suicide, Psychology]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- ... One of these situations is communicating with pet owners. A vet tech should be able to convey that they care about the animal as though it were their own. Also, a veterinary technician should have the ability to ease the nerves and emotions of pet owners to Loegering III help them understand what is going on and that things will be okay. Although, sometimes things can go wrong. In these cases technicians have to be considerate and have the ability to set aside their own emotions and comfort the owners that need it.... [tags: personal desires, education, training]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- Andreana Bowins Forensic Science Technicians “It is a forensic science technician’s job to help investigate crimes by collecting and analyzing physical evidence. Forensic science technicians may either be generalists who perform all or many of the duties listed above, or they may specialize in certain techniques and sciences. Generalist forensic science technicians, sometimes called criminalists, perform the duties of crime scene investigators and laboratory analysts. They collect evidence at the scene of a crime and perform scientific and technical analysis in laboratories or offices.” (BLS.2012).... [tags: Crime, Psychology, Scientific method]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- Pharmacy technicians hold important roles and duties in the pharmacy. They are essentially the pharmacist’s aide, but they hold many responsibilities in controlling the drugs. I interviewed a pharmacy technician, Kathy, who worked at Doctor’s Pharmacy, an independent pharmacy. Kathy was kind enough to take some time out of her day to allow me to ask her questions, mainly about her education, roles and experiences she had as a pharmacy technician. Kathy has been a pharmacy technician for almost twenty-six years and has been certified for two years.... [tags: Pharmacy, Pharmacist, Pharmacy technician]
1980 words (5.7 pages)
- There are two things in common with all the x-rays taken. They all have a story and all the stories are shared with the man or women taking the x-ray. Almost everyone will have at least one x-ray in their life. Most x-ray technicians can make an impact on their patients life, no matter if it is a good or bad impact. While the patient is sitting there in minor or crucial pain, the x-ray technician has to distract them from the pain while they move them to take the x-rays. Most people do not understand just how important x-ray technicians are.... [tags: health career, radio technician]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- A Veterinary Technician is the main source of help for a Veterinary Doctor. Just like medical doctors work with nurses, Veterinarians count on Veterinarian Technicians to assist them with a multitude of things. According to a study conducted in 2012 that I read on Vet Tech Career Guide, “The majority of a Vet Tech’s time was spent on: General animal nursing, talking with and educating clients, Inducing/Monitoring anesthesia, collecting and analyzing lab samples, taking x-rays, and supervising other staff members”.... [tags: Veterinary medicine, Veterinary technician]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Funding for the Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Technician department has come available to conduct a research study and a request was made to present three different research study possibilities before conducting a full research proposal. Problem Statement At a local community college, adults of both genders and between the ages of 17-65 with diverse work experience as well as different ethnic backgrounds, entering into the career field of air conditioning and heating must take the “Refrigeration Principles” class before any advanced courses of instruction offered in refrigeration and heating.... [tags: heating, technician, air conditioning]
1928 words (5.5 pages)
- During the Interview Begin the Interview The lead interviewer should begin by welcoming the applicant and introducing the other interviewers. The interview should then proceed to walk the applicant through the structure of the interview. This includes stating the types of questions that will be asked, that the interviewers will be taking notes and will provide an opportunity for applicants to ask questions at the end. Finally, the interview should give a clear signal that the interview is about to begin.... [tags: Question, Interview, Semi-structured interview]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Summary of Setup Technician The summary of an interview with a Setup Technician at Bosch Rexroth Corp, Nathan Hatfield of six and a half years. The beginning of his career started as a Machine Operator with just a high school diploma. With a desire to provide for his growing family, Mr. Hatfield looked for opportunities within the company for growth. Through training and certification provided by the company for its employees gave him an opportunity to advance. As his experience and qualifications grew he progressed within the company and has moved up to Tool Preset Technician.... [tags: High school, Education, Teacher, School]
1787 words (5.1 pages)
- As a seasoned Certified Pharmacy Technician with thirty six years of retail pharmacy experience and with some hospital pharmacy experience, nationally certified in IV preparation, I have acquired excellent knowledge and skills in the areas of community dispensing and pharmacy communications and operations. I have also gained excellent knowledge of prescription drugs, home health care and non-prescription products. I also possess over thirty years of experience in the customer service field, and possess an awareness and sensitivity to the cross-cultural communications requirements needed to meet the needs of a diverse clientele.... [tags: Pharmacy, Pharmacist, Pharmacy technician]
910 words (2.6 pages)