Although her cause is admirable, Reed’s argument is flawed by fallacies and some inaccuracies in evidence. I will identify these fallacies and point out the inaccuracies of her opinion.
The following stat...
... middle of paper ...
...one reason to attach to the other as she did here with youth and the cost of cigarettes isn’t that strong of a connection to deter youth from smoking.
One of the main flaws in her reasoning is that she hasn’t considered that not everyone may have her same opinion or beliefs. Although she may have good intentions, her reasoning was weak and repetitive. Logically, it would make sense to stop tobacco use for the benefits of a person’s health. But not many people feel this way about it and nor do they feel that because of that choice they personally make that they should have to pay more for it. This may in turn backfire on those who do support this act, because instead of buying the cigarettes within the state they’ll seek it elsewhere. Other states with lesser tax are not that far from Louisiana, and if implemented they would find the means to get their “habit.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Everyday, millions of people do things that they know could be harmful to them. They are aware of the dangers of the activity, but that doesn't deter a lot of people from doing it anyway. People drink excessively, drive while under the influence, engage in ridiculous, extremely dangerous stunts as a form of sport, or smoke destructive substances. The most common damaging activity, being cigarette smoking. The negative effects that smoking tobacco has on the body have been proven scientifically and today is common knowledge.... [tags: Medical Insuance Health Tobacco Cigarettes]
675 words (1.9 pages)
- Smoking cigarettes is the highest cause of preventable deaths in the United States. An approximate 400,000 people die every year in America alone from smoking or from secondhand smoke. When television became popular in the mid 19th century in the United States, commercials for cigarettes became increasingly prevalent. The appearance of these advertisements increased cigarette sales by soaring numbers. In 1969 Congress passed legislation banning advertisements of cigarettes on television and the radio.... [tags: Tobacco, Smoking, Cigarette, Nicotine]
710 words (2 pages)
- Smoking cigarettes have negative effects on not only the people who smoke, but also the people around them and the environment. Smoking cigarettes lead to many diseases and negative health effects, such as lung cancer, emphysema, and heart disease. Second hand smoke can lead to the same side effects. However, the dangers of second hand smoke tend to be generally greater than that of first hand smoke, which is what the smoker inhales. Because of all the negative effects of smoking, the sale of cigarettes has been taxed heavily.... [tags: Health, informative, expository]
1330 words (3.8 pages)
- A cigarette is a thin tube of fine cut tobacco rolled in paper for smoking. There are roughly 600 ingredients in cigarettes, at least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many of the others are poisonous. When cigarettes burn they create more than 7,000 chemicals. These chemicals harm nearly every organ in the body. Chemicals found in cigarettes include; acetone which is found in nail polish remover, ammonia found in common household cleaners, cadmium an active component in battery acid, methanol which is a main component in rocket fluid, etc.... [tags: Smoking, Cigarette, Tobacco, Tobacco smoking]
2021 words (5.8 pages)
- 1. LAST WORD Does a progressive tax system by itself guarantee that resources will be redistributed from the rich to the poor. No, a progressive tax system without anyone else does not ensure that resources will be conveyed from the rich to poor people. It is entirely conceivable that the expense income is come back to the rich as far as the merchandise, administrations, and exchanges gave by the legislature. Is the tax system in the United States progressive, regressive, or proportional. It does appear that the tax-spending structure in the United States is progressive.... [tags: Tax, Progressive tax, Regressive tax]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Numerous politicians are in favor of reforming the United States tax system to consumption tax. Our basic tax system is tax that the government imposes on all working individuals including businesses. Per law, all workforce women, men, and young adults are required to file an income tax return every year; this can dedicate if they owe any taxes or may be eligible to receive a refund. To determine such taxes owe or refunds, the government utilized a progressive tax system, which higher income earner pays a higher tax rate compared to those who earn a lower less.... [tags: Tax, Income tax, Progressive tax]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- Regressive tax is a tax that is applied uniformly, yet takes a larger percentage of low-income individual 's income and lower percentage of individuals with higher income. Taxes that are regressive include taxes such as gasoline tax and sales tax applied to essentials. If sales tax is a uniform 7% individuals with less income spend a higher percentage of their total income on the tax than individuals with a higher income. Progressive tax is the opposite of the regressive tax. Progressive tax is income tax that takes a higher percentage of the overall income from individuals with high-income than low-income individuals.... [tags: Tax, Income tax, Regressive tax]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” (Benjamin Franklin). For the first time, I heard this phrase from my high school teacher in economic classes and I thought it just impressive quote from a famous person, but when I study for bachelor degree I truly understand how taxes important to human society. At Thammasat University, tax study broadened my perspectives in each Thailand’s tax type and fostered my strong determination to become a tax practitioner. Studying the Taxation course has changed my life.... [tags: Tax, Progressive tax, Taxation, Tax haven]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- “In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” (Benjamin Franklin). For the first time, I heard this phrase from my high school teacher in economic classes and I thought it just impressive quote from a famous person, but when I study for bachelor degree I truly understand how taxes important to human society. At Thammasat University, tax study broadened my perspectives in each Thailand’s tax type and fostered my strong determination to become a tax practitioner. Studying the Taxation course has changed my life.... [tags: Tax, Progressive tax, Taxation, Tax haven]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- Each year, the U.S. government passes numerous laws to protect its citizens. Yet, one perfectly legal product manages to seize over 400,000 American lives annually (American Lung Association, "American"). Despite the efforts of the U.S. government to protect its citizens, the government continues to ignore the single most preventable cause of premature deaths. The vicious culprit attributed to these deaths is the common cigarette. Death, however, is not the only transgression cigarettes are responsible for.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
791 words (2.3 pages)