The Misfit was no exception to her ways of manipulation but her efforts came up short. Her actions, in many ways, could be compared to species of prey as they use their unique characteristics to elude the grasp of their predators. Just as the speed of the gazelle against the strength of the lion, the grandmother’s intelligence could be compared to the Misfit’s need for vengeance. When some people can see death coming, they will do anything in their power to avoid it. The grandmother knew who she was dealing with as soon as she saw the Misfit’s face. Yet, she tried to fool herself into believing that her sure fate could have been changed by her own actions. It is hard to say that her actions were just out of manipulation. T...
... middle of paper ...
... around she had met her match and this is what he had to say about her, “She would have been a good woman, if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life.”
1. Shmoop Editorial Team. "A Good Man is Hard to Find Theme of Manipulation" Shmoop University, Inc..11 November 2008. http://www.shmoop.com/good-man-hard-to-find/manipulation-theme.html (accessed February 3, 2012).
2. Barnet, Sylvan, William Burto, and William E. Cain. An Introduction to Literature. New York: Pearson Longman, 2006.
3. Barnet, Sylvan, William Burto, and William E. Cain. An Introduction to Literature. New York: Pearson Longman, 2006.
4. Blythe, Hal, and Charlie Sweet. O'Connor's A Good Man Is Hard to Find. N.p.: The Explicator, 1992.
5. Barnet, Sylvan, William Burto, and William E. Cain. An Introduction to Literature. New York: Pearson Longman, 2006.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Power Of Good And Evil in Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find Good and bad. Right and wrong. Guilty and Innocent. These are just a few of the many themes that surround everyone's life. Everyone has their own opinion about certain issues, and they depend on their values, judgment, and beliefs to see them through their difficulties. Flannery O'Connor was quoted as saying "I see from the standpoint of Christian orthodoxy. This means the meaning of life is centered in our Redemption by Christ and that what I see in the world I see in relation to that" (Contemporary Authors 402).... [tags: Good Man Hard Find Essays O'Connor]
1836 words (5.2 pages)
- One of the most memorable lines from “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” comes from the Misfit when he says, “She would have been a good woman if it had been someone there to shoot her for every minute of her life (O’Connor 309).” Flannery O’Connor’s depiction of Christian faith can be seen in almost all of her works. Inevitably, the plots in all of O’Connor’s stories end with a shocking conclusion, and this leaves the reader with freedom to interpret the central idea. From the endless list of themes that O’Connor embeds into her stories, “A Good Man Is Hard To Find” is largely influenced by divine grace, hypocrisy, bitter reality, and white supremacy.... [tags: A Good Man Is Hard To Find Essays]
2773 words (7.9 pages)
- I think that Flannery O’Connor’s short story “A Good Man is Hard to Find” is written partially in order to “convert” people who have not yet fully accepted the Christian faith. O’Conner, herself being a strong believer in Christianity, probably thought that writing this story will help make people who aren’t really living by the Christian rules to seriously consider doing so. Flannery O'Connor was deeply concerned with the values and the direction of the youth at the time. She believed that Christ was no longer enough of a priority to the people of her generation.... [tags: A Good Man is Hard to Find]
569 words (1.6 pages)
- I think that Flannery O’Connor’s short story “A Good Man is Hard to Find” is written partially in order to convert people who have not yet fully accepted the Christian faith. O’Conner, having a strong upbringing and solid Christian background, wrote this story believing it would help people who do not have a strong moral base and Christian convictions to seriously making the necessary changes. Flannery O'Connor showed deep concern towards the value system of the youth at the time. She firmly believed in helping to guide the youth in a positive direction.... [tags: Good Man is Hard to Find, Flannery O'Conner, relig]
774 words (2.2 pages)
- Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find "A Good Man is Hard to Find presents a masterful portrait of a woman who creates a self and a world through language." At least that is what Mary Jane Shenck thinks of the Flannery O'Connor story. Several different people have several different views of this controversial and climatic work of O'Connor's. In this paper I will take a look at these different views of different situations and characters in this book. First we will take a look at grandmother.... [tags: A Good Man is Hard to Find Language Essays]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- The short story “A Good Man is Hard to Find,” by Flannery O’Connor, is bombarded with symbolism. In short stories symbolism is the literary element that helps the reader depict the picture and actions in their own minds. Whether it be from characters’ names or the designs on the characters’ shirts, every detail in this story has a purpose. Flannery O’Connor was known for her strong religious background, Catholicism, and used her faith as the underlying message in her works. In the story, “A Good Man is Hard to Find,” there are a couple of things that can be traced directly to Christianity.... [tags: Literary Analysis ]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- “A Good Man is Hard to Find” is an example of Southern Gothic literature because it has many disturbing and violent events taken place in the south. O 'Connor wrote this story in 1953 and uses this type of literature to convey the personalities of the unusual characters. O’Connor places two important characters in the story: the protagonist and antagonist. The Misfit, the antagonist, is represented as a philosopher with wise words to advise people about faith, and the grandmother, the protagonist, believes herself to be an idealized woman with her self obsession of her status of a “lady.” In “A Good Man is Hard to Find” O’Connor conveys how characterization can be the underlying concept of... [tags: A Good Man Is Hard to Find, Flannery O'Connor]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- A Good Man is Hard to Find Thesis: Bailey and his family discover the hard way just how ironic life can be. “A Good Man is Hard to Find” In “A Good Man is Hard to Find” Flannery O’Conner tells the story of a family in route to their Florida vacation and the trouble the grandmother gets them in. The grandmother does not want to go to Florida on vacation and tries many methods of changing her son, Bailey’s mind. Although she tries many methods, none of them have the effect on him she desires.... [tags: essays papers]
697 words (2 pages)
- A Good Man is Hard to Find In “A Good Man is Hard to Find” Flannery O’Conner tells the story of a family in route to their Florida vacation and the trouble the grandmother gets them in. The grandmother does not want to go to Florida on vacation and tries many methods of changing her son, Bailey’s mind. Although she tries many methods, none of them have the effect on him she desires. Bailey is as stubborn as his mother, completely shutting the door on every proposition his mother makes. When she finally makes some progress in delaying their travels things go horribly.... [tags: essays papers]
675 words (1.9 pages)
- Flannery O’Connor’s A Good Man Is Hard to Find is one of the most well-known short stories in American history. A Good Man Is Hard to Find is a disturbing short story that exemplifies grace in extremity as well as the threat of an intruder. The story tells of an elderly grandmother and her family who embark on a road trip to Florida. The grandmother is a stubborn old woman with a low sense of morality. While on the trip, the grandmother convinces her son to take a detour which results in a broken down car and an encounter with a convicted fugitive, The Misfit.... [tags: Literacy Analysis ]
1137 words (3.2 pages)