Ty’s first wife Jane Tierwater lost her life to a tragic nature related accident leaving him alone to raise their three year old daughter Sierra Tierwater. Still in mourning from the loss of his wife he had to hold himself together to be the best father he could be for his little girl. No parents are prepared for dealing with the aftermath of the loss of a partner, regardless of the cause. Single parenting is hard, but single fathering often can be much more challenging. Men usually aren 't raised to be nurturing or empathetic, young boys growing up aren 't toting around their little baby dolls or being the ones called to babysit the neighbor 's kids next door. With that being said Ty Tierwater faced many obstacles while raising his daughter, they didn 't always get along and there were times they would disagree. One of these times was when Sierr...
... middle of paper ...
... his daughter had become, she lived and served for protecting the earth. Sierra spent her last years standing up for what she believed in and died preserving it. The primary goal as a parent is to see that your child lives a happy life and even though Sierra retired this life early through a tragic accident it is very present that she lived a joy fulfilling life.
A Friend of the Earth by T.C. Boyle explores many aspects of life from tragedy to joyous moments. The main idea of the novel is to bring awareness to the extremity of global warming, but between the lines it is really telling the story of a father and daughter 's journey through life. T.C. Boyle brings attention to the everyday parent child relationship obstacles that every family experiences. Even when Sierras life has ended Ty Tierwater does not stop loving her and continues living his life in honor of her.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Surely, everyone is fond of the idea of friendship. In fact, to most people living on this earth believe that friends are the most important part of their lives. There have been lots of sayings, quotes, movies and music about the theme, friendship; and this also impacted many people in the way they see the idea of having friends and that it is worthwhile to have someone to rely on. The importance of friendship cannot just be forgotten like a snap of one’s fingers. It has stuck on to the minds of people through movies, such as ‘Harry Potter’ and TV series, like ‘Friends’.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- “Dear friend and colleague,” Tamarind said in a hushed voice while embracing Surina and then Nieves. “Surina, you look well. You will soon be as thankful as I am to come to Gnaritus if you aren’t already. My children joined me on Gnaritus recently, so my family is now complete. Indeed, I spent the happiest years of my life right here. I have no fond memories of the rat race on the Earth. Only here did I understand the real meaning of gaining knowledge without an ulterior motive such as money or fame.... [tags: Earth, Universe]
1649 words (4.7 pages)
- My friend and I went to the AMNH on Saturday and we saw all the exhibits. We went to the Hall of Biodiversity first, and then Gottesman Hall of Planet Earth, the Heilbrunn Cosmic Pathway, Cullman Hall of the Universe, lastly is the Spitzer Hall of Human Origins. It took us three hours to visit all the exhibits. The first thing we saw was a giant clam and on the wall was the name Hall of Biodiversity. There were aquatic animals hanging on the ceiling from sharks to stingrays. I could barely see the aquatic animals because there was not a lot of lighting.... [tags: Earth, Universe, Planet, Human]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Who am I and why…appears as a sentence very simple and straight forward. As I look at the sentence and what it is really asking me, it becomes harder and harder to construct an appropriate concise answer to the question posed. At an instinctual level I first want to say that I am human. I am a part of the human family on earth. I have fundamental physical characteristics that inform me that I am human. I have a body, arms, legs, eyes and hands like other humans on the earth. Out of all the other species on the earth I look more closely to a human than I do any other species.... [tags: Human, Meaning of life, World, Earth]
1513 words (4.3 pages)
- Friends In this world, the most significant thing is to have friends, and on earth everyone has a friend. It’s a normal thing, because from kindergarten we start knowing people in school and they become our friends. A friend is a person who you enjoy being accompanied by, or a person who supports someone in happiness and sorrow. Friends are important to have in our life because they are like a family to everyone who values them. In this world sometimes things get worse in life, and friends are the first people to be considered after the family to help out.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Love]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- The Leaflet Written by Friends of the Earth This is a leaflet written by Friends of the Earth where the audience targeted are British, the mahogany furniture lovers. The layout of the leaflet is eye-catching forces the readers to read on. This leaflet was produced in 1992 for the Friends of the Earth. The writer was an Indian from Brazil's Amazonian forests. It was produced to gain support from British public and to gain their help to stop deforesting in Brazil. The writer uses eye-catching big bold letters in the heading along with the word 'YOU' to attract readers.... [tags: Papers]
2003 words (5.7 pages)
- ... Problems are only temporary. There will always be a solution so I should never give up. Giving up shows weakness. You can’t be weak and be successful. I am consistently maturing and developing and have evolved tremendously throughout transitioning from year to year. Blank paper is my canvas and pens are my paintbrushes. I keep a tiny journal with my that I write in every night. I write what I'm feeling or whatever that is all bundled up in my my brain. I feel free when I write. Some people talk to their friends or go to therapy but me, I write.... [tags: friend, brain, dermatologist]
813 words (2.3 pages)
- Death of a Friend Last summer, a fifteen year old boy was enjoying the bright summer day with three of his friends. It was the 8th of July, and it started out as an ordinary day. The sky was as blue as can be, and the birds and trees made the beautiful surroundings complete. The four boys were hanging out in the Creek behind the tennis courts. They were "boys being boys" exploring the local stream and its adventures that were waiting to be unraveled. The boys were hanging out at the side of the creek where it was like a miniature canyon wall.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- The Creation of The Universe, The Earth, and Human Beings In the beginning there was only darkness. For many millions of years this darkness remained. There were no stars, no sun, and no earth. But one day something very special happened. The darkness created light. It was a very small amount of light but it was just enough. The light became the husband of the dark. After a long while both the light and the dark became bored. The light began to insult the dark and the light replied with equally harsh insults.... [tags: Ancient Greece Greek History]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Interview with A Friend When thinking of people I could possibly interview, and then deciding that most of them wouldn’t be very interesting, I decided to interview a friend of mine. N.H. At first glance he seems like any other 15 year old but once you get to know him, you’ll soon realize that, that isn’t the case. Firstly he’s moved around and experienced more things then most people his age, even most people in general, and has developed a unique personality because of this. N. was born in 1985, in Finland but moved shortly afterwards to England and then again moved after only a few years to Malawi in Africa.... [tags: essays research papers]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- Is Google Making Us Stupid?
- The Motivation And Patterns Of The Companies
- The Solar On The Urban Rooftop Space
- The Black Of Black Arts Movement
- Women Are Discriminated Against The Workplace
- Provocation From Resource Inequality : Response And Ego Depletion On The Individual That Perceives The Inequity