Dog care seems to be one of societies greatest undermined problems as streets begin to become littered with stray dogs. On Average there are 7.6 million animals put into shelters nationwide. A whopping 3.9 million relates specifically to dogs, and to make matters even more precarious 2.7 million are put down. And only 1.3 million are adopted, is it the dog’s fault? Or are humans to blame for not properly caring for them. Dogs have an instinct to reproduce and a fertile dog will reproduce on average once a year and this deals with 4-6 puppies on average. The major reason why dogs are given away or why there let loose is because there residence does not allow them to have them. Dogs that leave their homes without the owner’s consent is due to lack of knowledge by the dog owner on how to care for them. Is this really a way to treat mans best friend? Every one can make a change and this is how.
Before having a puppy a owner must know what supplies to have for his/her puppy these supplies include, but are not limited to: two bowls, a bed, toys, puppy treats, puppy food, grooming tools, harness, and tag. Some of these supplies are not necessary but they are recommended. A dog tag and leach is one of the most important of them all because if someone finds a dog and it has a tag they will more then likely try to locate the owner and if a shelter finds them they will make sure to return them. If you are buying a puppy you will need to make sure that the puppy you are getting is the one that you want/need. Choosing a puppy that you do not want/need leads to a loss of interest and eventually inattention of the dog, because once you choose the puppy you'll have to know how to care for it. One must also be aware...
... middle of paper ...
...ws Network, 17 Apr. 2014. Web. 02 May 2014.
Johnson, Diane. "Ten Tips for Taking Care of Your Dog Iditarod." Ten Tips for Taking Care of Your Dog – Iditarod. Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM, 16 Jan. 2013. Web. 01 May 2014.
Smith, Rene. "Dog Facts - About Interesting Breeds, Labradors, Puppies, Guide Dogs, Fun Pets." Dog Facts – About Interesting Breeds, Labradors, Puppies, Guide Dogs, Fun Pets. ScienceKids, 24 Jan. 2014. Web. 02 May 2014.
The Translational Genomics Research Institute. "Dog DNA Has Role in Developing New Therapies for Human Cancers." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 18 Mar. 2014. Web. 01 May 2014.
Zhenqi, Yang. "Learn to Accept Guide Dogs – SHANGHAI Globaltimes.cn." Learn Accept Guide Dogs – SHANGHAI Globaltimes.cn. Global Times, 14 Apr. 2014.
Web. 02 May 2014.
"Vaccinations." ASPCA. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pseudopregnancy is a common phenomenon that occurs in the intact female dog that is not pregnant during the diestrus or anestrus time of their estrous cycle. Pseudopregnancy can be characterized by swelling of the mammary glands, swelling of the abdomen, milk production and a change in the female’s behavior such as mothering of objects or other animals, restlessness, aggression, nesting and anorexia, (Hermo, 631). For the subordinate female gray wolf this phenomenon is a typical behavior to take care of the young pups while the alpha female, and only female to mate and give birth to young, is out hunting for food for the pack.... [tags: Domestic Dogs, Wolves]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- As the saying goes, a dog is a man’s best friend. The dog is a loving companion to a man. He is happy to go everywhere with his master. He shows his affection for his master by wagging his tail and licking his hand or face. This timeless relationship continues to evolve into new kinds of human-dog interactions that increasingly benefit society. This has led to the belief that dogs can provide company, affection and support to people who are going through a difficult time or who feel lonely. Dogs have aided humans in tasks such as hunting, livestock herding, and guarding.... [tags: seizure dogs, dogs, service dogs]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction Buying a puppy from the pet store might be one of the most phenomenal moments in a life. Unfortunately, puppy mills sell their malnourished dogs to pet stores. Puppy mills are huge kennels where pure bred puppies are crowded together in unsanitary housing with no food. Dogs who did no wrong to this world do not deserve to live in these conditions. The amount of puppy mills are increasing and must be stopped by adopting dogs from shelters, not buying puppies from pet stores and putting stronger laws into action.... [tags: puppies, dogs, pet store, pound, animals, pets]
1408 words (4 pages)
- The Misidentification of The Day We Were Dogs "The Day We Were Dogs," published in 1993 by Elena Garro, illustrates the common error of misidentification of Magical Realism. The fact that Garro is a Mexican author and that fantasy is so closely related to Magical Realism often causes the reader to associate this particular work with Magical Realism. However, this work also contains fantastic elements as well as sublime characteristics, which make it difficult to classify as a strictly Magical Realist work.... [tags: Day We Were Dogs Essays]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- Identifying The Day We Were Dogs Whether or not "The Day We Were Dogs" (1993) is a magical realist story is questionable. Often stories are misidentified because of the closeness of literature such as magical realism, the fantastic, and the sublime. The story leaves a lot to one's imagination instead of presenting it in the text. Elena Garro blends two days and two completely different worlds together in this story. The magical elements depend on how one uses his or her imagination throughout this story.... [tags: Day We Were Dogs Essays]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Misunderstanding The Day We Were Dogs Writers as well as many people make or mislabel stories. Magical, unreal, real, fantastic, and the sublime are just a few types of different labels that a person can use. The different types of stories are amusing and fun. The world is made up of all types of different labels of material for stories that people like to read and enjoy. Elana Garro is one of the Spanish authors who has written stories that have been mislabeled and put with other stories that were listed under the magical and the unreal.... [tags: Day We Were Dogs Essays]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- The results of the study scaled the dogs on five dimensions of behavior temperament: playfulness, curiosity/fearfulness, chase-proneness, sociability, and aggressiveness (De Palma et al., 2005). Dogs living in rescue shelters were assessed as demonstrating a low degree of playfulness, showing distraction by the environment when being enticed to play. The sheltered dogs also scored low on curiosity but, high on fearful behavior. The cortisol levels for the sheltered dogs were significantly higher than the cortisol levels of canines living in households, indicative of stress and anxiety associated with shelter lifestyle.... [tags: Shelter Dogs]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- Dogs are very common in the world we know today. Many households have one or more. Dogs are trained to be pets. Not only trained to be pets, dogs are also trained for work. Dogs are getting used more and more in our work environment. House dogs can also be considered a working dog depending on why the dog is there. There are many jobs for dogs. Dogs make a big impact on our working and social lives. There are many different types of work dogs. Some types of work dogs also have different jobs for which they are trained for.... [tags: Training Work Dogs]
2808 words (8 pages)
- Reservoir Dogs... The first time I saw Reservoir Dogs I knew it was something different (I didn?t see any Tarantino?s films before). It was the first time I payed more attention to the characters dialogue than to the visual appearance of the film itself The dialogues in Tarantino?s films are its more powerful resource. They both tells the story and sets the mood for it. I remember I was reading Stephen King?s ?The Dead Zone. when I got hold of Tarantino?s screenplay for Reservoir Dogs. I left Stephen King for a while and read the screenplay in one sitting (I didn?t get much sleep that night).... [tags: Movie Film Reservoir Dogs Essays]
2342 words (6.7 pages)
- Cattle Dogs The cattle industry in the past as well as today would be nothing without the help of man's best friend. Herding dogs are the best known working dogs. These unique dogs have an instinct to herd and with the right training will help a farmer or rancher move his herd without any trouble, as long as the dog is responsive to the ranchers hand signals and whistles. The best way to train a dog is to have it work along side an already experienced dog. They are keen, alert, responsive, and extremely intelligent.... [tags: Farming Dogs Agriculture Essays Papers]
984 words (2.8 pages)