A catalytic converter is an exhaust component used in modern automobiles to decrease the emission of toxic gasses. The average catalytic converter is capable of converting around 98% of these harmful emissions into relatively benign byproducts (UC Davis). It does this through the use of a catalyzing agent, that when combined with heat and oxygen produces a chemical reaction that is capable of converting various gasses such as carbon monoxide (CO), hydra carbons (HC), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) into less harmful carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen (N2), and water (H2O) (Wiki).
The catalytic converter was first introduced back in the mid 1970’s, but didn’t see widespread adoption until new emissions regulations mandated the removal of the fuel additive “tetraethyl lead” from gasoline. This was because, the burned of tetraethyl lead in an internal combustion engine produced toxic byproducts capable of neutralizing the catalyzing agents in the catalytic converter rendering it ineffective (Wiki). Catalytic converters are split up into two basic types: two-way and three-way. The two-way catalytic converter only performs the oxidation reaction (the addition of oxygen), converting carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and converting hydro carbons into carbon dioxide and water. In contrast, the three-way catalytic converter not only performs the oxidation reaction but also performs a reduction reaction (the removal of oxygen), converting nitrogen oxides (such as nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide, and nitric oxide) into nitrogen and oxygen (SmogTips). The two-way catalytic converter was quite common tell about 1981 when the three-way catalytic converter replaced it in most automotive applications (Wiki)....
... middle of paper ...
... 2CarPros 2011. Web. 6 Nov 2011
“Use for Platinum & Palladium: Catalytic Converter Close up Picture” buy-
palladium.blogspot.com Buy Palladium 6 March 2009. Web. 6 Nov 2011
“Products” logicaltradingco.com.Logical Trading Company 2011. Web. 6 Nov 2011
“Three-Way Catalytic Converter Systems (TWC)” Diagram. logicaltradingco.com.Logical Trading
Company 2011, 6 Nov 2011
Woodford, Chris “Catalytic converters” explainthatstuff.com Explain that Suff! 12 Aug 2011.
Web. 6 Nov 2011
‘Schematic diagram of the three-way catalytic converter” Diagram openlearn.open.ac.uk
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Catalytic converters are an integral part of converting much of the pollution that comes out of a car’s exhaust. Almost every car since the year 1970 has come with a catalytic converter in order to reduce harmful emissions. I chose to explain the function and chemistry behind the catalytic converter because I have an interest in cars and I wanted to know more about them. Background In order to understand how catalytic converters work, one must understand that air and fuel burn in a car’s engine best at a specific ratio.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
599 words (1.7 pages)
- Catalytic Converters Notice when a vehicle drives by nowadays, that it is so much quieter than those loud oldies that pour out the blue smoke. Ever wonder just what is underneath a vehicle that makes the new ones so much cleaner. It is called a catalytic converter. The main function of a catalytic converter is to decrease pollution emitted from a vehicles exhaust. The concept behind this is to add a catalyst and force a reaction between the automobile's exhaust and oxygen in the converter.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
589 words (1.7 pages)
- Acid Rain A consequence of air pollution is acid rain. Acid rain can also form as snow or sleet which contain relatively larger concentrations of acid forming chemicals, which come from pollutants from smoke of coal and chemical manufacturing. These combined with water vapor in our atmosphere to cause acid rain. Acid rain is a mixture of wet and dry deposited material in the atmosphere which contain a larger than normal quantity of Nitric and Sulfuric acid (What Is Acid Rain EPA). When any type of fuel is burnt a lot of different chemicals are released into the atmosphere.... [tags: pollution, catalytic converter, energy]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Fluidized Catalytic Cracking is a technology in petroleum refining where heavier petroleum fractions are converted to more valuable lighter fractions like LPG, gasoline and diesel. Introduction: In petroleum refining, crude oil is distilled at atmospheric pressure to recover valuable petroleum products like LPG, Naphtha, Kero, ATF and Diesel. The residual heavier fraction, which has little commercial value, is further distilled under vacuum to separate Light Vacuum Gas Oil (LVGO), Heavy Vacuum Gas Oil (HVGO) and Vacuum Residue.... [tags: environment, petroleum]
1079 words (3.1 pages)
- Acknowledgements The author would like to gratefully acknowledge the guidance and encouragement of Mr. Billy Chow, the Project supervisor who inputs further stimulated my interest to look more into issues related to simulation of circuit and nurture me with ideas to improve the design and testing process. In the successful indicates the correct direction of this project. Executive Summary The aim of project is to researches and analyses for DC DC converter to suitable application of coil gun. In this project, the DC converters have different type and characteristics.... [tags: software, circuits, switch]
3067 words (8.8 pages)
- This paper presents coupled inductor interleaved boost converter with LC filter for ripple free current. Based on the conventional coupled inductor interleaved boost converter, two coupled inductor and two LC filter is added to the proposed converter .So the proposed converter achieves reduced input and output current ripple. Hence the ripple ratio of input and output current is reduced. In order to verify that, a proposed converter of 12v input voltage and 24v output voltage operating at 50 khz is constructed.... [tags: Photovoltaic, Circuit, Converter]
1273 words (3.6 pages)
- The Confidential Assistant is responsible for providing confidential administrative support for the City Manager and Mayor’s offices. These responsibilities include, performing administrative support, responding to queries, scheduling meetings and arranges logistical details, preparing a variety of confidential documents and reports, and producing Close Council meeting agendas and minutes, Performs other related duties, as assigned. ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE: The Confidential Assistant reports to the Executive Assistant.... [tags: Job Description]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- What, if any, are the catalytic mechanisms in your organization. What is the link between vision, goals, and catalytic mechanisms. Collins implies that using catalytic mechanisms is not a widely employed management practice. Has that been your experience. What are the barriers to using catalytic mechanisms. What are the benefits. While the purpose of a catalytic mechanism is to essentially take a business “by it’s horns” and establish processes and core structures that works towards producing effective results internally and externally, it may not necessarily provide the thoroughness needed when mid to large sized companies are involved.... [tags: Organizational Behavior]
710 words (2 pages)
- Natural Descriptions in Coleridge's and Lord Byron's Texts Works Cited Missing Two closely related texts, one that we've studied in this class and one that we haven't, that handle natural description differently are Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and Lord Byron's "Manfred." Both of these texts' central characters have experienced trauma, and their portrayal of their environments reveal the effects that the events have left on them. While Coleridge's mariner is unable to consolidate his past and is relegated to constantly relive it, Byron's Manfred has protected himself from his unnamed vice by distancing himself from his feelings and environment.... [tags: Compare Contrast Description Essays Papers]
1409 words (4 pages)
- Description of a Standard Nail Clipper The standard nail clipper is a portable tool used for trimming fingernails and toenails. It can also be used for filing your nails and removing the dirt from behind your nails. The nail clipper has two main parts that are bolted together and provide the necessary leverage to trim the nail. Attached to the base of the nail clipper is a file that is connected by a circular shaft that allows you to rotate the file 360 degrees about the shaft. A bolt to the base connects the second part that provides leverage and this rotates about the bolt to either a position that is parallel to the main part or at a point that is 43 degrees at an angle to the mai... [tags: Descriptive Essay]
365 words (1 pages)