From a very early age I made clear/understood my passion and commitment to medicine as my mother used to take me to numerous activities in her medical society that continuously filled my mind with dreams and desires. The starting point. Growing up with a clear aspiration made of me a confident, secure and persistent woman, attracted by challenges, searching for that kind of good scared feeling in every adventure that would make me grow as a person and as a professional.
During my first two years in medical school, I dared myself to do a little more than just being a new medical student and that is how I began to work with HIV-AIDS patients in a project sponsored by the Dominican Government in partnership with my university, directed to health faculty members, sexual workers, and impoverished communities in my country called Bateyes. Listening to their stories, identifying and exploring their personal strengths, weaknesses and goals was how I became conscious that I could do more for them. Over time, I began training diverse groups about AIDS, an epidemic that overwhelms our country, building awareness and at the same time developing a multiplier that could make a change in the society.
I remember a special case from a Batey. A recently widowed and mother of 6 children that believed her husband died from a malediction. He was the head and support for his family. As a result, his oldest 12 years old son took his place and became the provider for this home. What an unpleasant surprise for this woman to soon realize that her youngest child and she suffered from the same infamous viral disease that caused her husband’s death. Given her beliefs, her disease was very difficult to explain. Never...
... middle of paper ...
... going to give a potential and positive impact upon your Internal Medicine Program and the rest of my career. At the end of the road is only the satisfaction of doing everything to maximize the quality of life of your patient what really matters.
A residency like Internal Medicine can give me the opportunity to show the acquired skills during my journey as a physician, not only in private practice but in the public health system. In the same way, my expected goals of your program are closely related with the decision of becoming a better version of the doctor I already am. I want to challenge myself and be challenged by others, create and express my ideas, and that these ideas would be cultivated by the guidance and support of mentors, who have the experience and knowledge to do so and I firmly believe I can find those opportunities in your outstanding program.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The New Day Now 50p - equivalent to three quarters of a packet of Trebor Extra Strong Mints. Our newsagents are the hub of news in the UK and furthermore when the sun rises over the horizon a new day commences. No this is not another odious 'Premier Inn advert, 'it 's a wonderful, wonderful life... ' Although, I 'm sure 'The New Day ' would glow over the horizon at the optimism; I 'm referring to the newest kid on the newsagent 's block: 'The New Day. ' It has been in print for over a fortnight now and I 've been excited at the prospect of sniffing new print; in addition to perusing extra literature in newspaper format.... [tags: Broadsheet, Tabloid, Newspaper]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- Every day is a new day to learn something about one another that was not known before. Over this two week process of jotting down my thoughts on paper in the form of a journal, I have learned to appreciate this assignment in a way that I did not think I was going too. Although I most likely will not keep a journal again due to lack of interest, this project allowed room for reflection in my life and in my opinion, that part of the assignment was strongly beneficial. After reading my journal entries back, I realized that I talked a lot more about apples in the beginning of this project than I ever should of.... [tags: Mind, Thought, Writing, Idea]
1172 words (3.3 pages)
- Boots crunch in the leaves signaling the start of a new day’s work. Maria is the owner of the New Day Ranch, a sanctuary for horses of all kinds. She wakes up every morning at the crack of dawn to tend to the dozen horses that reside at the Ranch. It is almost winter and she wanted the horses to enjoy the time they had outside before it would snow. Maria opened up the stables to let the horses out into the pasture accompanied by her two dogs Max and Twilly. She pulled them by the bridle, two at a time until the six that slept inside were freed into the fenced in fields.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- For the longest time environmentalism was considered to be an after-thought in American politics. The words recycling, carpooling, and clean energy were non-existent in our vocabulary. Today however, the condition of the environment is of up most importance. Even though the new millennium has brought increased environmental awareness, our planet is still in dire condition and is on the verge of being uninhabitable. Although new government and international policies strive to limit pollution and degradation, they lack enforcement and achievement of these environmental goals is minimal.... [tags: Envrionmental Issues]
1681 words (4.8 pages)
- The new age day of the wild, became its wilder, and the contentious citizens antithetical of the open carry law and are willing to defy this law on modern day ruthless outlaws. Texas lawmakers have in recent years proposed to the state of Texas their perception of open carry to their constituents, and in January 1, 2016 the 2nd amendment was promulgated. Texas lawmakers have this open carry supposition that passing this law could have the prospect to mitigate the communities’ in high crime ridden areas.... [tags: Firearm, Concealed carry in the United States]
812 words (2.3 pages)
- The new age day of the wild, became its wildest, and the contentious citizens antithetical of the open carry law and are willing to defy this law on modern day ruthless outlaws. Texas lawmakers have in recent years proposed to the state of Texas their perception of open carry to their constituents, and in January 1, 2016 the 2nd amendment was promulgated. Texas lawmakers have this open carry supposition that passing this law could have the prospect to mitigate the communities’ in high crime ridden areas.... [tags: Firearm, Concealed carry in the United States]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- A new day has begun. Slowly ascending into the cold dark sky, the sun glows vibrantly with delight. The passionate colours fill the sky with warmth like the pink grapefruits, zesty lemons, citrus oranges and cherry red. The sea so subtle sparkles preciously as it strolls up against the shore. The crystal water that stretch out far into the horizon gets darker and deeper but stays very calm. Walking on a land of gold, the sand being so soft and smooth, glistens as it reflects the suns rays with joy.... [tags: descriptive, narrative]
475 words (1.4 pages)
- “It is another school and another group of people to reject me.” I thought as I walked slowly toward the classroom door. With each step the classroom door got closer and closer. The light weight of my book bag suddenly felt heavier. Finally, I got to the door and opened it; revealing the big room that would be my home room for the rest of the year. The second I walked into the room, it was obvious that I was different. The first thing that tipped me off was my clothing. I was wearing a bright red Lil Wayne Trukfit shirt, black 501 Levis, and black Air Max 95 Nike shoes, not to mention I was the only African American in the room.... [tags: back bag, classroom, new]
652 words (1.9 pages)
- The day that marked the end to a new beginning was May 22nd, 2015. I woke up knowing this was a day I would never forget. I felt fully rested and was looking forward to the eventful day ahead. Not to mention the fact, I was woken by a warm, hearty breakfast. I headed off to a place that was a usual destination for four years now. However, that day’s ride to the residence marked one of the last. On this ride, I had flashbacks of football games, pep rallies, old friends, and anything that held significance in my life for four years.... [tags: High school, Graduation, Commencement speech]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Each year around the world millions of people make a list of their New Year’s Resolutions and hope the new year will bring those changes. For many people they would like to get the promotion they have worked so hard for, or maybe for some people it’s time to settle down and start a family. There are countless amounts of resolutions for people to hope for. For what seems like a lot of Americans today many hope for their “ideal body weight”. In the United States the average body mass index of males is 28.6 while for females it is 28.7 those BMI’s are indicitative of overweight people but not necessarily not obese.(LiveStrong.com).... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Health, Body mass index]
1743 words (5 pages)