There is an age old question. Are individuals made to be a leader or are individuals born to be leaders? JoAnne Ciculla, a professor in leadership and ethics program at the Jepson School of the University of Richmond states the question should be what is leadership, but what is good leadership? (Giampetro-Meyer, Brown, Browne, 1998). Ciculla reference three types of leadership: transformational, transitional, and servant leadership. These are just a few. With leadership, you have to be willing to take charge and direct others, and not all the times this will be receptive because at times people may want to do their own thing and not be control or directed by others. As we observe what is going on in society today with the Black Lives Movement, and with police brutality, some have asked the question. Is there a leader that could come together to allow the different groups to talk and move toward a resolution.
For an organization to be successful the economic, organizational, and political systems depends on how effective and efficient the leader is (Parris & Peachey, 2013). When it comes to being able to influence an organization, you would like to have someone that is able to do this well, however, in some cases a person may not necessarily have all of the skills needed to be a good leader, but they should be able to move the organization to be productive.
In transformational or charismatic leaders inspire their followers to pursue the leader’s clear vision for the company (Giampetro-Meyer, Brown, Browne, 1998). These leaders also are self-confident in the...
... middle of paper ...
...e, while providing service and advocacy for our communities (Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., National Website, 2016). By being a part of this organization, I am in a position to develop future leaders. In the past, for the most part, people where taught to be cookie cutters of each other. When young men were being initiated they were taught to be as one, however when you develop a person as a leader, then you are not taught to be as one. There has to be something different in the leader. As I help young men to develop, it allows me to be able to observe them, and to help them be the best person or leader that they can be. One may ask how do you do it, it is done by showing them their individual strengths and weaknesses. Allow them to know how to increase or be more effective in their strengths, but also show them how to make improvements in their weakness.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abstract Servant leadership may appear to be a contradiction. How can one lead when one is serving the followers. Through the servant leadership model, a servant leader puts the needs of those they lead first, and serves them. The servant leader uses characteristics that help establish a quality relationship with those they lead and through that relationship is able to support and build employee morale and increase job performance by those they lead. Especially in the field of emergency services, servant leadership is a leadership approach that benefits the followers, leader, and the community they serve.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership]
1337 words (3.8 pages)
- Servant leadership is becoming a more “sought-after” concept in today’s society, but what exactly is servant leadership. Does it mean different things to different people. Although the three books, The Servant as Leader, The Servant, and Lead Like Jesus, all center around servant leadership, each author takes a different perspective on the meaning of being a servant leader. Robert Greenleaf addresses leadership from a straight-forward stance; saying that a good leader must be a servant-first by finding the will within themselves to put the needs of their group before their own.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership, Management]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- There are a number of significant difficulties for today’s military - the Global War on Terrorism or what has recently been termed the “Long War;” weapon system acquisitions and personnel draw downs. The focus of this paper is on one strategic component of the military quest—Leadership. More specifically, it will center on servant leadership and its impact on the military’s vision. This paper first explores the significance of the leadership change, followed by an examination of three notable characteristics of servant leadership and their historical influence through the eyes of a famous leader.... [tags: Servant Leadership Essays]
2608 words (7.5 pages)
- Servant-Leadership versus Transformative Leadership The world growing more and more complex and institutions need managers who can adapt to the increasing pace of innovation. Servant leadership and transformative leadership are some of the new management techniques and ideas that address the increasing complexities of the world. However, as these new ideas are developed and implemented, which one works the best in today working environment. Which one of these management styles has a greater impact on those who use and those who are managed.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1693 words (4.8 pages)
- Leadership Approaches Servant Leadership Servant leadership is a set of practices or a philosophy that have a focus of enriching the lives of others. Servant leadership also focus on building better organizations and creating a world that is caring and just. Although servant leadership is considered to be a timeless concept by some, the phrase “servant leadership” was thought of by Robert K. Greenleaf’s essay that was titled The Servant as A Leader, published in 1970. Robert Greenleaf believed that the servant leader all started from the individual person having a natural feeling of being one that wants to serve first.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- When two people come together and form a relationship the question of who should wear the pants in the relationship may come to light. Should the man be the head of the relationship. But why cant the woman be the leader. My perspective on a relationship is two people going through this crazy journey we call life side by side. The servant-leadership theory supports my perspective that a leader can effectively lead by serving first his followers. The servant-leadership theory does not place the leader above the followers.... [tags: servant-leadership]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- The servant leader is deeply rooted in the study of leadership theory. The very basic premise of leadership was derived from the ideology of a servant leader. Ethical, servant, spiritual and authentic leadership can have a profound impact on the lives of subordinates and the destiny of an organization. A true servant leader can be found in any institution, from the military to the smallest industries in the private sector. The heart and spirit of a servant leader has the capacity to drive an organization to new heights with the potential to surpass the outlook of said organization’s vision.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- Abstract The servant-leadership concept continues to grow in its influence and impact. In fact, it has been witnessed of an unparalleled explosion of interest and practice of servant-leadership. In several ways, it can truly be said that the times are only now beginning to catch up with Robert Greenleaf’s visionary call to servant-leadership. The purpose of this literature review paper is to understand the effectiveness of Greenleaf’s “servant-leadership” philosophy. Through motivation to lead, a need to serve, and empowering and developing people.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership, Management]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- Benchmark – Servant Leadership and Christianity Servant Leadership is a leadership style that have been around since Jesus introduced it during his teaching. His style have been tried again and it has proved to work. Different organizations have gravitated to this style of leadership and they have become one of the biggest companies in the United States of America. Example of the company that practice Servant leadership is Southwest Airlines. Southwest Airlines management have practiced servant leadership style that it is now their motto.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Servant leadership]
704 words (2 pages)
- The concept of servant leadership is one that many of today’s leaders struggle with, yet it is shown to be one of the more productive forms of leadership. The concept is really about the leader helping to grow their follower’s in a manner that involves empathy, listening skills, and compassion. Servant leadership is a way for leaders to connect with their teams and show that they understand the trials and tribulations that go along with the work. Think of an inverted pyramid. The leader is the point of the pyramid stabilizing the structure at its base.... [tags: Servant Leadership]
309 words (0.9 pages)
- Students With Anxiety Related Stress
- The State Of K 12 Foreign Language Instruction
- Intelligence Failures Of The Soviet Union
- Why Drinking A Little Booze Each Day May Be Killing You
- The Importance Of Parents Staying Home And Raising The Children While Fathers
- The Differences Between The Greeks And The Romans Civilizations