First of all, come the time of year, shopping places the traditional ideas of respecting one another and putting others first on the backburner, the swiping of the credit card the most significant action that can be demonstrated. In a Long-Island Wal-Mart on Black Friday a few years back, one worker was killed by a mob of frenzied shoppers while four others, including a woman eight months into her pregnancy, were injured (“Worker Dies”). I detest the idea that an object of monetary value is worth inflicting bodily harm or even more severe, death, over. A famous scripture verse in the Gospel of Matthew states that “one should love thy neighbor as thyself”, yet, in the twenty-first century, we seem to flood our minds with nothing more than our own selfish agendas...
... middle of paper ...
...ld, Joe. "Worker Dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after Being Trampled in Black Friday Stampede - New York Daily News." Featured Articles From The New York Daily News. New York Daily News, 29 Nov. 2008. Web. 26 Sept. 2011.
Trop, Jaclyn. "Business | Kmart, Sears and Home Depot Put Holiday Displays up Early | The Detroit News." Detroit News for Sunday, October 9, 2011 | News, Sports, Features, Blogs, Photos and Forums from Detroit and Michigan. The Detroit News, 1 Oct. 2011. Web. 26 Sept. 2011.
Walmart. Advertisement. Youtube. Youtube, 28 Nov. 2009. Web. 29 Sept. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Christmas: A Time for Family and Togetherness During the course of the year, there is that one time where Christians from across the universe are united together like never before. As conflicts emerge about Christmas becoming a commercialized celebration in the Western World, the sincere significance of Christmas remains as the season for family gatherings- through grand feasts and mainly the exchange of gifts. In the 300s, Christmas the tribute of incarnation was born (William par. 1). “Christmas” refers to the yearly remembrance of Jesus Christ’s birthday as referenced in the Gospels of Luke and Mathew (McCord 83).... [tags: commercialized celebration, traditions, customs]
913 words (2.6 pages)
- ... While Christmas season in America has no real set beginning, the celebrations end on December 30th. The Spanish Christmas season officially starts on December 8th, with the Feast of the Immaculate Conception; and ends on January 6th, or El Dia de los Reyes Magos (3 Kings Day). In between this time period there are four other celebrations, including the Day of the Innocent Saints occurring on December 28th, “Nochebuena” (The Good Night) being celebrated on Christmas Eve, Navidad (Christmas) being celebrated on Christmas Day, and Nochevieja (The Old Night) being celebrated on New Years Eve.... [tags: gifts, traditions, culture]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- ... The word "holiday" actually came from "holy day," which declared certain days like saints' feasts and Christmas to be dedicated to God. Now, Christmas decorations are brought out in stores immediately after Halloween; ads promoting holiday and blow-out sales are found in newspapers and on TV, and shopping for presents begins at least one month before Christmas does. Internet sources such as Wikipedia say that giving and receiving gifts is the core of Christmas. Adrian Rogers, a Christian broadcaster, said that Americans are "...too involved with other things," and we have "...no room for Jesus."(Rogers, Adrian) Not only has the meaning of Christmas been lost due to all the focus on want... [tags: purpose, holiday, secular, money, gifts, christ]
550 words (1.6 pages)
- The Commercialization of Christmas Over the years, one topic which has sparked an interesting debate among intellectuals, business men and Christians is whether or not Christmas has enrolled into an over commercialized holiday. The period at the climax of the year, December 25th, which we celebrate as Christmas is the time when consumers increase their spending to an outrageous level and business persons become elated as their shelves become depleted of the products that assist in our celebrations.... [tags: Papers]
492 words (1.4 pages)
- Christmas is a special time of year that deserves to be remembered for its true meaning. Every year, Christmas becomes more and more commercialized and society forgets the origin of Christmas. It was not started with cookies, toys, and a fat man that delivers them, but instead it started with a humble inn where our Savior was born. The definition of Christmas is “a holiday on December 25 celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.” Nowhere in that definition does it say anything about the outrageous pressure society has set on consumers to buy, buy, buy during the Christmas season.... [tags: Catholics, Methodists, Baptists]
1523 words (4.4 pages)
- As I look out my window I see tiny snowflakes slowly drifting down. I can hear the roar of laughter coming from the living room downstairs. Soon enough Saint Nick will be upon us. Christmas always brings everyone home for the holidays. Christmas is my favorite holiday because of the traditions my families and I celebrate that include our Christmas Eve routine, Christmas morning routine, and giving back to our community. Everyone has a Christmas Eve routine. Christmas Eve starts with getting ready for mass.... [tags: Christmas Eve, Christmas, Christmas tree]
1313 words (3.8 pages)
- Every December and January in the United States friends and families gather to celebrate the upcoming holidays. In preparation for Christmas it is common to see lights hung on houses, Christmas trees decorated with ornaments, kids writing out their wish list to Santa Claus, and even Santa himself riding through multiple neighborhoods on a fire truck. When the New Year rolls around, it is common in the United States for friends and loved ones to stay up until midnight, gather around the television to watch the ball drop, and possibly enjoy a few celebratory drinks as well.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas Eve, Christmas tree]
1035 words (3 pages)
- “Christmas, Christmas time is near. Time for toys and time for cheer.” Almost anyone can sing along to this Christmas Carol, but many can not relate to the lyrics. Christmas time is a joy for many, it is spent with their family opening presents. All around the world many children do not get to enjoy the luxury of Christmas presents around this holiday, and there are many in the community near you who do not have this privilege. The program that has been designed to be a help for communities all over the country is the Christmas Share outreach.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas tree, Christmas Eve]
1299 words (3.7 pages)
- Christmas comes around once each year but there is a lot to do before Christmas Day. Christmas Day is December 25th and usually people start counting down the days till Christmas starting on December 1st. Of course, my family is different. We start counting down the days till Christmas right after Thanksgiving Day. Christmas is by far my favorite holiday for various reasons, one being that I love decorating our Christmas tree. Another thing I love to do is make Christmas goodies with my family. Lastly, I love receiving presents.... [tags: Christmas, Christmas tree, Christmas music]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Christmas is a wonderful time of year filled with decorations, cookies, Christmas lights and a huge Christmas tree. As I was growing up the Christmas tree was the biggest thing to have in our family. It was the very first thing we would beg to be put up so we could decorate it however we wanted it. We had a nine foot tall Christmas tree that would sit right as you walked in to our living room. My brothers and I was always so excited to have it brought up the steps and set up to where we could decorate it and put the angel on the very tip top of the tree.... [tags: Christmas tree, Christmas, Christmas lights]
1339 words (3.8 pages)