... middle of paper ...
...Gunn. "Internet." Encyclopedia of
Sociology. 2nd ed. Vol. 2. New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 2001. 1438-1447. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 21 Apr. 2014.
Herther, Nancy K. “Digital Natives and Immigrants: What Brain Research Tells Us.”
Ramage, Bean, and Johnson 419 – 426.
Ito, Mizuko, et al. “Living and Learning with New Media: Summary of Findings from
the Digital Youth Project.” Ramage, Bean, and Johnson 433 - 435.
Ramage, John D., John C. Bean, and June Johnson, eds. Writing Arguments: A Rhetoric
with Readings. 9th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2012. Print.
Scott, Shaun. “Cyberculture.” Encyclopedia of Anthropology. Ed. H. James Birx. Vol. 2.
Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Reference, 2006. 654-657 Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.
Turkle, Sherry. “Digital Demands: The Challenges of Constant Connectivity.”
Ramage, Bean, and Johnson 426 – 429.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Technology and Humanity Introduction A new study commissioned by Intel Corporation and conducted by Penn Schoen Berland found that young adults, especially millennials (aged 18 to 24) who grew up with smartphones, iPads and other digital gizmos and gadgets, are increasingly tech savvy; but many who fall into this category also think technology is making people less human in the process. The “Intel Innovation Barometer” further revealed that the millennials globally show a stark contrast to their reputation as digital natives who can’t get enough of the high-tech stuff in their lives.... [tags: digital era, friendship, social media]
1986 words (5.7 pages)
- Long distance friendships are ideal in today’s world, especially with the help of advanced technology. People are able to fly across the world in less than a couple of weeks, even contact each other in a couple of seconds. Being in a long distance friendship creates a strong bond between two individuals because of the will to maintain the friendship through social media, the commitment and dedication, and the duration of the relationship. Typically people associate long distance friendships with not being able to withstand but social media interactions decrease that chance.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship, Sociology]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- Friendship is central to one’s life because friends it can contribute towards shaping someone’s personality as well contribute to who we want to be in the contemporary society. Aristotle agreed in his Book VIII of the "Nichomachean Ethics" that friendship exists in three broader forms: friendship based on utility, that based on a shared appreciation of the good, and that based on pleasure (Percival, 2015). Similarly, Cicero, the Roman philosopher who lived in a different time and place, contended in his writing that "On Friendship": "Let us, then, lay down this law for friendship: we must not ask wrongful things, nor do them, if we are asked to" (Mews, 2009).... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- For the past five years, perhaps longer, the only things I hear are my own raspy breaths and a constant, monotonous, clicking noise. That, and the walls of my box, are enough to drive anyone past the brink of sanity. For me, it already has. I live in a box. Twenty feet high, twenty feet long, twenty feet wide. A perfect cube. The floor, ceiling, and walls are covered with one long, continuous mirror, replicating itself and every one of my miniscule movements. Not only that, but it seems like I am suspended in space: The mirrors reflect the other mirrors, which reflect other mirrors, creating an endless cycle and infinite passageways that always have a solid door.... [tags: short story]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Reading “The Quagmire of Social Media Friendships”, Curtis Silver expresses his idea of who we consider to be our friends when it comes to social media. What stood out to me in this essay is how Silver asked if social media created fake friends. In which I have decided to define the term fake friends. When I think of the term fake friends, I think of someone who claims to be a true friend, when in fact they are quite the opposite. Fake friends in my opinion are those who will talk negatively about you behind your back, they could really care less about that your feelings or what you think even.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship, Love]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- Humanity I was sitting in my laundry room the other day sorting through piles of dirty laundry, courtesy of my seven year old son (who seems to change his clothes every five minutes) and I found myself thinking, "If he only knew the complexities of the Watershed, the Everglades, the South Florida Water Management District, and the Biscayne & Floridian Aquifers maybe he wouldn't change his clothes so often." But then again maybe if he knew these things he would, like so many people in South Florida, not care.... [tags: Environemtn Humans Humanity Essays]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- The human survival is based on friendship. From the highest authority to the lowest bums living on the streets all of them have experienced in some way or the other one of these different kinds of friendships. We take this friendship for granted because it is something that exists naturally in society and most of us never really have to actually go out into the world looking for a friend. Those of us who have had to live in a foreign country or in new surroundings have learned how important this is in life.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
506 words (1.4 pages)
- Friendship I jumped into my bed, exhausted from my late-night babysitting job. It was past midnight, and I was looking forward to sleeping since I had to get up for work in about eight hours. Normally, I would have pulled my big, fluffy down comforter up to my chin right away, but my body felt as if it were on fire with fever. A bad cold had hit me, just as it always does during the mid-spring season. I could hardly breathe, and my head was pounding. I tossed and turned until I finally fell asleep about an hour later.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Everyone is affected by certain events or individuals that greatly change their life. Many people have influenced me during my 21 years of my life, but I believe that the person that has influenced my life the most is a wonderful girl by the name of Lindsay Schiller. In the year that I have known her, she has become one of my best friends, and has helped to transform me from a lonely computer nerd into a happy college student with a decent social life. Popular wisdom has it that, "You judge a man by his friends." Earlier in my life, that would have been difficult, because my father was a high school football coach, and it seemed as though every year I was moving to a new s... [tags: Friendship Essay]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- Friends "Friends have a unique loyalty to one another. This loyalty comes not through a sense of duty in the way one may show loyalty to family, kinsfolk or country. Theirs is born out of love, trust and respect. Nurtured on care and understanding. A perfect loyalty that will survive every hardship and endure the rigorous test of time." --Stuart and Linda Macfarlane-- The Love Between Friends, a Helen Exley gift book Friends, some are just acquaintances, others I truly care about. A select few of my friends have become like brothers and sisters.... [tags: Friendship Essay]
1409 words (4 pages)