Software engineering is a relatively new career but the most important component of software engineering, the computer, has a long history that started many centuries ago. The abacus, a tool composed of beads and strings representing numbers, is considered by many to be the original computing device. The abacus, a device developed in Asia, was widely used during the Middle Ages. The abacus is still used today by many students. The next important milestone in the creation o...
... middle of paper ...
"Software Designers." Ferguson's Career Guidance Center. Facts On File, Inc. Web. 4 Mar. 2014.
"Software Engineers." Ferguson's Career Guidance Center. Facts On File, Inc. Web. 4 Mar. 2014.
McDavid, Richard A., and Susan Ecahore-McDavid. "Software Engineer."Ferguson's Career Guidance Center. Facts On File, Inc. Web. 4 Mar. 2014.
United States Department of Labor. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Software Developer”. Occupational Outlook Handbook. 2014-2015 ed. 4 Mar. 2014. Web. 8 January 2014.
Yuen, Edward. Personal interview. 17 March 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Before the iPhone became popular, because of the powerful and user-friendly software that is on the iPhone, Steve Jobs declared that “[The] iPhone is a revolutionary and magical product that is literally five years ahead of any other mobile phone” (Steve Jobs). Part of the reason why the iPhone is so revolutionary is because of the software in it. The hardware on the iPhone was slightly more advanced compared to the hardware on other phones but the software on the iPhone was many generations ahead of other smartphones that existed at that time.... [tags: iPhone, User Friendly Software, Steve Jobs]
1863 words (5.3 pages)
- ... He used these machines to power model trains. After attending Sheen Mount Primary School and south west London's independent Emanuel School he went on to attend The Queen’s College of the University of Oxford. He received a first-class degree in physics while attending. After graduating, he worked at a British telecommunication company known as Plessey in Poole. He helped create type-setting software for printers with D. G. Nash while working there in 1987. He later left the company to work as an independent contractor for CERN.... [tags: software engineer, www]
516 words (1.5 pages)
- The early history of computer engineering, which we know now as, but during 1955 it was known software engineering (Pioneering Era). Computer engineering has been a revalent job in the United States from 1955 until present day 2014. This job started out during a time period known as the Pioneering Era. This was a time when the first computers came out and software programmers had to rewrite all of their programs to run on these new machines now known today as computer. Jobs back then and know was applied for by signing up on the machines.... [tags: technology, system and technical support]
858 words (2.5 pages)
- ... This can vary from anything to circuit boards and microprocessors to routers or cable boxes. Some computer hardware engineers update & modify existing computer equipment to be more effective in its specific field, while others work with newer software. Most computer hardware engineers work in research laboratories and high-tech manufacturing buildings, but there is always a fair share of garage junkies out there. Computer hardware engineers specialize in more hands on work and testing than most computer engineering fields.... [tags: Job Components, Requirements]
947 words (2.7 pages)
- Computer software engineers use the basics and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis to the design, development, testing, and evaluation of the software and systems that enable computers to perform their many different tasks. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, computer software engineers are projected to be one of the fastest growing occupations over the 2002–12 period. The starting salaries for computer engineers with a bachelor's degree can be higher than salaries of bachelor's degree graduates in many other occupations.... [tags: essays research papers]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- ... Your wrist and your eyes are probably the only things that will be affected. Long hours sitting in front of a computer for multiple months can also lead to obesity. Computer engineers tend to make a decent amount of money. It is said that computer engineering graduates start out making the most money out of all engineers. “The bureau of labor statistics estimated an average salary for computer engineers of $101,360 per year in 2011” (Michael). Depending on what type of computer engineer you are and your current experience your range of salary can increase or decrease.... [tags: career choices, opportunities]
1415 words (4 pages)
- According to Lucy Friend, “Computer Aided Drafters make $79,000 a year on average.”(n.d.). Computer Aided Drafting unlocks the door to numerous opportunities for employment; I selected Computer Aided Drafting because it’s so extraordinary with AutoCAD, because of the uses of Computer Aided Drafting, History of CAD, education requirements, and immeasurable career opportunities that are obtainable. First off, CAD is computer technology that has contributed in design and drafting of a portion or an artifact and frequently a complete structure as well.... [tags: Career Research Essays]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- ... However, they usually work over time. (Paragraph 14). Another information, software engineers have their own daily duty. On the website, job description software engineering job is teamwork. Every software engineer has their one computer and they writing or develop the computer program and they work together they communicate each other for their work accomplishment. In addition the everyday jobs of software engineering are writing computer program, analysis the systems, and test if the system works correctly.... [tags: professional choices and opportunities]
692 words (2 pages)
- “It’s the Possibility of dream come true that makes life interesting” - Paulo Coelho This perfectly holds true for me in the world of Computer Engineering where novel ideas are not a novelty. It is this novelty that entices me to this field and gives me a deep sense of professional pride. In this context, I would like to pursue my graduation in Computer Engineering, which not only supplements the knowledge that I possess but also provides a strong platform for my future career goals. After one year's work experience as a Network Engineer at Its Not Yellow, a US Based online news portal, I want to return to academic study and undertake post graduate studies in Computer Science and Informatio... [tags: teacher, network, science]
1055 words (3 pages)
- Career and Family Report The career I chose was Computer Engineer. Computer Engineers work with the hardware and software aspects of computer design and development. They use science and mathematics to develop new kinds of hardware and software and also solve technical problems. Computer engineers usually work as part of a team rather than by themselves. Computer hardware engineers usually design, develop, test and supervise the manufacture of computer hardware- such as chips or device controllers.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
620 words (1.8 pages)