I set up an interview with Dr. Rob Geis. He is a psychiatrist but he knew how to answer all my questions about psychology. The only real difference between psychiatrist and psychologist is that psychiatrist has to go to medical school and can prescribe medicine while a psychologist cannot.
I interviewed Dr. Geis on March 19 over the phone. He was very informative with the answers he gave me to my questions. It did not feel awkward talking to him and I felt that I could ask more questions without feeling like a bother to him. He was very polite and gave me time to write and did not rush me at all.
According to Dr. Geis, he pursued this career because he was genuinely concerned for people and wanted to help them with their problems. A person should not take out their frustration on their patients or judge them because of their problems. Generally people pursue this career because they want to help people with mental problems. People who are interested in studying other people could take interest in this career also. People who are problem solvers or like to listen to what is going on in people’s lives.
In order to become a psychologist there are some requirements that are needed. A college education is requirement. The degree that is required depends on ...
... middle of paper ...
...people’s behavior is important to assess them correctly. Also shadowing someone who has been in the career for a while is a good idea. It gives you first hand before choosing to pursue the career to see if it is something worth continuing to pursue. I learned that there are many different fields of psychology and not all of them deal with people. I did not know that it in order to be a psychologist there were so many years of schooling involved. I still want to be a psychologist because it still seems interesting to find out what is wrong with people and helping them through it.
Cherry, Kendra. "How Many Years of College Does It Take to Become a Psychologist?" About.com Psychology. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2014.
Psychologists. Brief 144. Moravia, Chronicle Guidance Publications, Inc., March 2012
Geis, Rob. Telephone interview. 19 Mar. 2014
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Becoming a Psychiatrist has interested me based on the premise of helping others. A psychiatrist is a physician who diagnoses and treats mental disorders in his/her patients. A common misconception is that a psychiatrist and a psychologist are the same thing. Unlike psychologists, psychiatrists attend medical school and obtain a M.D. This gives them the power to prescribe certain medications and even specialize into certain fields such as geriatric psychology, which is the specialization into the mind and behavior of aging adults, child and adolescent psychology, which is the specialization into the mind and behavior of children, and addiction psychology, which is the specializ... [tags: psychology, mental disorders]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- Mazeall 6 Lauren Mazeall Ms. Hughes English 1 Adv 26 March 2014 Psychiatric Career “To study the abnormal is the best way to study the normal” (William James). Psychiatrists never give up on any of their patients and always help anyone who asks for it. Psychiatrists have a never ending work schedule. Sometimes their patients call them even without an appointment because they are really struggling and they have to go talk to them. Psychiatrists also have to get at least eight years of school and an additional three or more years of an internship (“Career Information Center” 142- 43) .... [tags: Career, Psychology, Mental illness]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- The Career Psychiatrist Why would anyone in this world want to become a psychiatrist. To me I think that mental illnesses are important to this world. That's because millions of Americans are affected by mental disorders daily. Psychiatry seems like an interesting career. Many people in this world will say that they don't want to work with a mental patient, because they are afraid that the mental patient might try to harm them. It would be interesting to find out why many people are suffering from mental disorders.... [tags: Papers]
363 words (1 pages)
- Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in treating patients who are afflicted with behavioral, mental and emotional disorders. In order to become a psychiatrist, one must complete medical school and earn a medical degree and state licensing. After earning their degrees and completing residency training, psychiatrists are then able to work with patients. The salary of a psychiatrist can vary depending on in what type of institution he or she may work. With a faster than average growth of employment, opportunities to work in many facilities, and a great amount of needed education, psychiatry is a challenging, but rewarding career.... [tags: career choices]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- The study of the mind, psychiatry, has in the last few years struck an interest within me. I wonder why we react differently when we face the same obstacles. For example, families with several children, raised by the same parents and in the same environment, yet turn out to be completely different individuals, sometimes very disturbed. The how, why and where of it all interests me. My immediate goal is to get my diploma and find out who I really am and what my soul desire truly is. I realize I have a deep desire to be of service to others.... [tags: Psychiatrist Psychology]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- Many people in this world want to make a difference in life. However, most people do not want to put in all the effort that it takes to do so. The job of a pediatrician is life-changing to many. Unfortunately, it takes drive and effort that many people do not have, to become a pediatrician. A pediatrician’s job is a highly-skilled and interesting job because he or she has the privilege to deal with and help as many children as possible. What is a pediatrician. Pediatricians are doctors who specialize and focus in caring for babies to young adults (Career Cruising).... [tags: Pediatrics career]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- Psychiatrist Why would anyone want to be a Psychiatrist. Many people are afraid of the mentally ill because they think they are dangerous, but I find them very interesting. I want to learn more about their minds and how they function. I want people to understand that they are normal human beings just like anybody else. I’ve always been interested in mental disorders and how they’ve come to be. Being a Psychiatrist would be the perfect career for me. The career of Psychiatry is an interesting career because of how extensive the aspects of the mind are.... [tags: mental disorder, profession, medicine]
1397 words (4 pages)
- ... Some psychiatrists specialize in different areas of psychiatry. They can specialize in child psychiatry and/or addiction psychiatry. Specializing in specific areas in psychiatry require additional training and certification. In order to become a licensed psychiatrist, there is a lot of education required. During undergraduate college, the aspiring psychiatrist must take pre-medical classes. These classes include courses in biology, chemistry, genetics, and physics. The time to complete these classes should take approximately four years.... [tags: psychiatrist, education]
852 words (2.4 pages)
- Psychiatry Psychiatry is a medical field associated with different mental disorders of individuals. Psychiatrists deal with many individuals in society and treat them with the proper medicinal needs, while also communicating with them to find a suitable treatment that works for the individual. A psychiatrist must examine a patient thoroughly to give a proper diagnosis. Through history psychiatry has produced different sub categories, including: geriatric psychiatry, adolescence psychiatry, clinical psychiatry, and general psychiatry.... [tags: History, Career Information]
1342 words (3.8 pages)
- I often wonder what life will bring and what I love to do will do for others. Psychiatrists listen, analyze, and treat those who need help. Times, people, and their views change. Psychiatry is a field that helps those in need of those changes explained. Psychiatry is a challenging field but before someone can commit or give up on this field, they must know how to do it and know what type of psychiatry they would want to do. Psychiatrists are doctors who assess people with mental or physical issues and treat them properly.... [tags: mental health, fields, patients]
658 words (1.9 pages)