The video game industry, also known as the interactive entertainment, is the development, marketing, and selling of video games to millions of people worldwide. The video game industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the U.S. economy. Today, players of all backgrounds and ages enjoy playing video games. According to Michael Gallagher’s book, there are around 155 million Americans that play video games. There is an average of two gamers in each game-playing U.S. household and the average game player age is around thirty five years old. In addition, there is 56 percent that are male and 44 percent that are female. Surprisingly, women whose age are from 18 years or older represent a significantly greater portion of 33 percent of the game-playing population than boys age 18 or younger who make 18 percent. (4) Although women are more involved in the gaming world than ever before and make up almost half of the total gamers, they face a lot of sexual harassments from male gamers while playing online games.
There is harassment of women in the gaming industry that happen daily. There are also a lot of different types of harassment that male gamers use. Some of the varieties of online gaming harassment that women experience are being called offensive names, physically threatened, stalked, embarrassed, and sexually harassed. Female gamers have been increasing every year. They all know that they will have to face harassment every day, but they still buy the games and play online. They say that they will do whatever they are good at no matter what everyone says. Most of the women that get harassed are old women as well, because the most frequent female game player is on average of 43 years old.
Video games a...
... middle of paper ...
... focus on just having fun.
In conclusion, the video gaming industry is one of the fast growing industries in the world. In addition, there is players from all different backgrounds and age that play video games from all around the world and that the amount of gamers increase every year. Moreover, there is around 56 percent of male gamers and 44 percent of female gamers. Even though there is almost the same percentage of female gamers as male, females get all kinds of harassment every day in online gaming. There is all different types of harassment that they face every day trying to play something they enjoy. I think that everyone should do whatever they want without being judged and women should enjoy playing whatever they want. Finally, male gamers should actually get to know these female gamers instead of harassing them so maybe they could end up in a relationship.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Beating the Stereotype I watched as strangers shot, stabbed, and punched their way to safety. Eventually, a wave of toxic gas was released, bringing the game to an end. The gaming group I was watching decided to stop playing H1Z1, a zombie survival game, and start playing something else. This is a normal evening of gaming for a small group of five friends who live all across the United States. Popular culture often depicts gamers as anti-social loners, commonly male, sitting in front of their game consoles and avoiding the real world.... [tags: Video game, Video game console]
1577 words (4.5 pages)
- Imagine a world that allows people to become someone else for a moment. This virtual world is undiscovered by many people and is competing with each other. They are not afraid of others judging them. They can express their feelings anonymously without fear. This world is filled with people who, in the real world, would usually be quiet and reserved, but in this world emerge as leaders. This virtual world is accessible to everyone, but only used by a few. These few people who make up this virtual world are called gamers.... [tags: Gaming]
2506 words (7.2 pages)
- I have outlined a few reasons why you should Make the switch to PC gaming now if you haven’t already. Did you know you can save money by switching to a gaming computer, and put that money towards more games. Most people do not know that PC gaming actually is cheaper than console gaming. Computer gaming is actually very easy to get into now, and is just as user-friendly as a console. When you get home crack open a beer, fire up your PC from the couch, and play on your TV just like you would with a console.... [tags: Video game console, Xbox 360, Xbox, PlayStation]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- In the 1980’s video games became vastly popular and its market boomed. Since this time the market has continued to grow, making it one of the most popular forms of entertainment in the modern day. There has been much speculation on the effects that both games and gaming have had on society as a whole. Games were first invented in the late 1940’s being found on mainframe computers. The first commercially viable game was computer space in 1971 a coin operated arcade version of an earlier game called Spacewar.... [tags: Gaming]
926 words (2.6 pages)
- 2 Background 2.1 Industry The online games market - whilst known by the industry as in its infancy  - should surpass $15 Billion this year and sales of virtual goods likely to exceed $1 Billion . This very profitable young market can be debated as the future of gaming . With the cost of Broadband technology going down and online services offering a larger amount of micro-transactions and subscription based games – not to mention virtual goods – it would be hard to resist by any gamer. For example it was reported within 5 days of MODERN WARFARE 2 (MW2) being released it had made $550 million in revenue and an online player base of 8 million, an “army” bigger than real world countries... [tags: Gaming]
1161 words (3.3 pages)
- At 1:15pm Saturday afternoon, I am currently hanging out at the student gaming center with the pool tables and a line of arcades in front of me. At least nine to twelve players are gathered around 2 gaming arcade machines in front of me. The two main popular ones that are of interest would be the Street Fighter 3rd Strike and the Marvel vs Capcom 2 machines. The gamers are heavily immerse in watching the players and cheering them on. I am observing four players playing on two separate machines.... [tags: Gaming, narrative]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Blog 21 – Top tips for taking your online bingo game to the next level Online bingo is a game that has come a long way in recent years. No other gambling format has had quite the impact or gripped the Internet in the same way, as it is a game that welcomes thousands of new players each and every day. The game of bingo itself is always fun and exciting, and is now appealing further thanks to its financial aspects; especially when one considers the bingo bonus offers around. Considering its promotions driven nature, we’ve compiled the following list of five top tips for improving your online bingo game, so that you can make the most out of your no deposit bingo offer and online bingo funds i... [tags: Game, Play, Casino, Toy]
1912 words (5.5 pages)
- The video game industry has grown very powerful over the last five decades due to gamming consoles. A new generation of gamming was created, taking games from arcades and putting them in one’s household. Although arcade games were a great hit, there were modifications that needed to be done to them to make them smaller and more compact. In 1967, German born Ralph Baer and some of his coworkers were the first to get an actual prototype to work on a regular home television. After the console, Magnavox Odyssey (1972), was released and made a big impact on the market, more and different companies and corporations released more systems with such specifications.... [tags: Gaming]
1060 words (3 pages)
- The term “gamer” tends to be synonymous with “geek” in many people’s minds. They see gaming as a device that absorbs the majority of the time of the user, leaving them as mindless empty, pale husks with no ambitions other than beating that next boss or shooting the enemy in the face. However, few gamers waste their life away. On the contrary, many of these so-called geeks tend to be more social than the average person, and farther down the technological curve than most. For the truth is that gaming is a rather useful and beneficial hobby.... [tags: Gaming ]
1053 words (3 pages)
- Game Consoles Comparison Playing games is one of the most popular ways for people to release their stress from work, school, or from other family issues. However, there are a lot of varieties of games: Console games, PC games, Board games, and many more. One of the most famous types of games, though, is console game. Among all consoles, PS2 is the best one. This might be a little direct, but I have my reason for saying this. We will have a discussion regarding this later. But first, what is PS2.... [tags: Video Gaming Games Game Paperes]
1824 words (5.2 pages)