1. I believe social work is valued at my agency not just because the staff is nice to me, but because my supervisor follows the Code of Ethics when it comes to clients. When dealing with clients in substance abuse, some of them might think they can come in and manipulate staff because that is what they have been used to doing during their addiction. I believe one staff member used the term “devious” to describe how some clients can be when they first come to Shepherd’s Shelter.
I believe my supervisor does a good job in showing and saying to these clients that he isn’t there to be their buddy and he can tell when they are telling what they think he wants to hear. Social work is about empowering clients and showing them they can do certain things on their own without assistance.
There is a staff member at my agency who isn’t a social worker but they believe in giving spiritual guidance to the clients and that’s wonderful, but I believe this staff member is taken advantage of because of their kind heart. The field of social work is not about making friends or showing clients that you love and care about them. That defeats the whole purpose of what social work is about and I believe my supervisor shows client’s that he is serious about guiding them to their sobriety.
2. My supervisor and staff members have a staff meeting every Monday morning in director’s office. I have never witnesses any of the meetings because I am usually in class on Monday mornings, but according to my supervisor, clients are discussed along with their process they have been making during their time in treatment. Also, it is discusses whether or not clients can phase up during this meeting. A client just can’t say “I going to ...
... middle of paper ...
...ght the property is still intact.
It’s amazing hearing former clients talk about the good that Pastor Wayne and Jeanette have done during their time at Shepherd’s Shelter. It’s a good thing that Pastor Wayne doesn’t use the approach if you leave once then that’s it when it comes to clients. There are some clients who have been to my agency three times in the last two years. There is one client who worked the program for 10 months, got to move into transition and relapsed when he was allowed a home visit and this client was dismissed for non-compliance.
This client was spiraling out of control once again and Pastor allowed this client to come back and start over again with their program. An agency can have faults but that don’t mean it’s a negative place and they could make the improvements and still not be effective. I guess it’s just how people look at things.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Working with people can be challenging, but so rewarding all at the same time. As humans, we are certainly not perfect and we are making mistakes daily. Making decisions is one thing that does not come easily to us, and depending on the day you can get multiple different answers to one situation. The NASW Code of Ethics is an extremely helpful tool when we are working with clients and something that does not ever waiver in ethical decision-making. If we are working in the Social work profession, then we must insure we are making the correct decision for everyone who is involved with the client.... [tags: Ethics, Sociology, Social work, Business ethics]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- I am applying to Pitt 's MSW program to strive for a curriculum that provides students with specialized understanding and expertise needed to engage in Direct Practice with Individuals, Families, and Small groups and to obtain an Integrated Healthcare Certificate and Gerontology Certificate. From my interactions with current MSW 's students here at Pitt, I have learned that the balanced curriculum they have experienced will benefit me intellectually and socially. I am aspiring to immerse myself in courses that will challenge me academically and a field practicum that will provide a realistic perspective of what an MSW career could contribute to our society.... [tags: Social work]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- 1. Work centrality My centrality score was 20 and it can be interpreted as average work centrality. Overall, the score more likely reflects my life because I think my life is not only for work but also for family and friends. Even though it is hard to balance our work and non-work roles, I believe those roles improve my self-concept on managing time and resources. Work and non-work roles shared the same importance. Work role contributes to our life as it gives chance to earn money. Working also gives me self-esteem because I can implement my knowledge which I studied at university in real cases.... [tags: Creativity, Idea, Role, Gender role]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Virgo Work Compatibility Virgo’s desire to become more must include mental stimulation and detailed attention added to your daily life and career to feel comfortable and satisfied in your workplace. Boredom is a real issue, as when you aren’t properly absorbed into your work, everything suffers and your career can than be felt as lacking. While helping and dealing with others, using your mind, and being able to express yourself in your own way, you can find satisfaction and success in your career.... [tags: Zodiac, Astrological sign, Western astrology, Sun]
1557 words (4.4 pages)
- Social Media and Ethics in the Workplace For the millennials it is hard to imagine having to scour newspaper want ads for a job let alone having to apply in person by filling out a paper application. Technology has come a long way in the last fifteen years. Today when looking for a job one only has to go to their computers where they will find thousands of job opportunities globally. With all of the advantages that the internet brings to the business world, there are also dangers to the ethical wellbeing in our workplace for both the employer and employee.... [tags: Ethics, Business ethics]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- ... Kahn social media accounts for any personal use. All business-related social media accounts and email addresses should be used for Company business. *Exception: This provision isn’t intended to hinder any employee from participating in any concerted protected activity which is completely lawful under section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). M.B. Kahn Reserves the Right to monitor all internet activity, where permitted by Law- M.B. Kahn reserves the right to monitor social media usage and the right to take appropriate action when employees misuse social media by making inappropriate or unlawful posts.... [tags: Employment, Collective bargaining]
715 words (2 pages)
- Social promotion and retention have both been used in education as a method to help lower performing students catch up to their peers. While both strategies are used with good intentions, research has shown that neither actually helps a student to be successful in their educational career. That leaves one to wonder if neither social promotion nor retention is the correct answer, then what is the best answer for a lower achieving student who is not ready for the next grade level. “Social promotion is the practice of promoting students to the next grade even though they have not acquired minimum competencies expected of that grade” (Aldridge, 2014).... [tags: Education, High school, Student, Grade retention]
1586 words (4.5 pages)
- ... After I attended to his grievance and alleviated his fears, he turned out to be a very nice, almost soft-spoken man, who was a gym-instructor, hence the rippling muscles. We ended up as fast friends, and all through his stay in the hospital, I was his favorite nurse. Now that I think about it, I dare say it was a case of profiling and bias, which could have ended up as discrimination, but thankfully did not. In your opinion, is there social discrimination in the U.S. society today. If so, discuss the areas where discrimination occurs and describe their impact on individuals and families.... [tags: Discrimination]
702 words (2 pages)
- I was born on May 2nd, 1996 to a social worker and a salesman. When I was born, I had a seizure seconds after being born giving my parents the scare of a lifetime, as their first look of me was being ran down the hall. My mom didn’t even get a chance to hold me she was left without a word as to what was wrong with me, left in a state of panic. There was no explanation of why it happened but the only thing that mattered to my family was that I was a healthy baby after the incident. I grew up in a perfect size house and spent my time playing with the brother I didn’t know I wanted and him breaking my doll size strollers because of his size.... [tags: Family, English-language films, Parent, Mother]
1814 words (5.2 pages)
- Environmental and Social Impact . Appropriateness of Infiltration Pollution to environment is always a big concern in all rainwater infiltration designs. Pretreatment of rainwater is required in all kinds of processes before the cutoff infiltrates into the ground. Yet, designers and decision makers should also pay close attention to the condition of the land where water management programs will be carried out. Rainwater infiltration projects will be of great benefits if such practices are feasible and environmentally protective.... [tags: Water, Pollution, Stormwater, Water pollution]
766 words (2.2 pages)